Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #164 for the week of April 4, 2010.

It’s time for another Top Ten list, as this week we once again count down the best of the best. This week, it’s about something that’s an integral part of the ride experience itself as we explore the Top Ten Ride Vehicles in Walt Disney World

While the Adventurers Club may be closed, the legacy, stories and cast of characters did not die with it. This week, we’ll look and see how the legacy is being preserved, and how you can be a part of it.

I’ll have some important announcements at the end of the show, including details on another event coming very soon before playing more of your voicemails, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

INFORMATION AND LINKS FROM THIS WEEK’S SHOW

ConGaloosh 2010! - Oct. 8-10, 2010 – Join the WDW Radio Explorers! (Tribe # 939)

Save $50 by registering before April 30, 2010!

24-hour LIVE video broadcast & chat from Walt Disney World – May 22-23, 2010. Click HERE for more information, including the May Meet of the Month specifics (to take place during the 24-hour show).

For discounted Walt Disney World Resort rates for the 24-hour weekend, visit MouseFan Travel for their exclusive deal! 2-night package from $89 pp/do!

RSS
Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

31 Responses to "Show # 164 – April 4, 2010"

1. Casey says:

What about Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster?? 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds? Speakers on the headrests blasting music synced to the track? Come on! :P

2. So excited for the 24 hour show!!

3. Kurt_Illinois (wdwfns2) says:

I agree with Casey in that any stretch limo that can do 0-60 in 2.8 sec belongs on my list(sorry Tim). I know it’s a new take on the old wedway technology but it’s extreme! For extinct attractions (besides the ones you listed) nostalgia always brings me back to the old cars on Mr Toads Wild Ride. no matter how hard I tried to turn those steering wheels, those cars had a mind of their own :) Keep training for the 24!

4. Larry says:

I definitely think that the stretch limo on RnRC should have been on the list. I also think that the updated vehicles on Spaceship Earth wich allow you to interact (somewhat of a tribute to horizons) should at least get a technological nod.

5. Chris says:

My favorite lines of the show!
    Squirrels burn cleaner
    I ride 55 in the right lane with the blinkers on
    HAHAHAHA
    Tim you have convinced me to ride Mission Space (light)!
    I am part of your ilk people!!
    Love the show!!

6. Casey Jo says:

I’d have to say Splash Mountain for my current one. I mean, even though it’s pretty much a typical log ride I do enjoy pushing yourself to sit on the left side of the boat to avoid getting more wet. Even the pretty nasty smell of the handles on a really hot day have a charm to them. Also fitting 3 friends in one seat if it’s allowed is always fun.

And I have to agree with Kurt on the Mr. Toads ride. I remember wanting to be the driver as a kid and it made it so much more fun ride!

7. Jonathan Grant says:

Great show! I agree with the Peter Pan’s Flight boats being the #1 ride vehicle… so detailed and perfectly themed!

Some others I was thinking of: Mad Tea Party tea cups, Splash Mountain logs, and one of my favorite things ever… where the ride vehicle IS the ride… the Walt Disney World Railroad.

8. DisneygirlJo says:

What an AWESOME show idea! Just love, love, love the Peter Pan boats. I found them so magical as a child and still do!

9. dizneychik says:

TTA vehicles are labeled A through E on the corner between cars, but visible as you are getting on. A will put you at the front, E at the end. Choose your favorite! And yes, if it is not busy, they will always let you pick your car.

10. NS_WDW_Son says:

Favorite ride vehicle: Rock ‘n Roller Coaster!

11. NS_WDW_Mom says:

Favorite ride vehicle: Peter Pan’s Flight

12. NS_WDW_Son says:

Favorite ride vehicle: Rock ‘n Roller Coaster

13. Ben says:

I agree with Larry’s comment about the new Spaceship Earth ride vehicles. I loved that you could e-mail your animation home to show your family and friends, it was basically a FREE souvenir…Now if they could only outfit the ride vehicles with a ” choose your narrator” option then they would be pretty much perfect… NORTH,SOUTH, EAST AND WEST, ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME!

14. Disney_Fan says:

If the Jungle Cruise boats ran on squirrels, it would sound like this car.

1:17-1:21 in video is where the sound is very noticable.

My favorite ride vehicle is the Body Wars/Star Tours vehicle.

15. Craig says:

I’m surprised that (purely for the technological innovation behind it) Carousel of Progress wasn’t listed. The entire building is the ride vehicle – doesn’t get any more large-scale than that.

16. Sean says:

For me the best part of the Rock N’ Roller Coaster ride vehicle is the sound system. Having the speakers right at ear level is very advantageous, particularly when you’re rattling around at 60 mph, moving from side to side and upside down.

As for the vehicles on “Star Tours” and “Body Wars,” even though they were the same simulator, I always found “Body Wars” to be a more intense (read: awesome!) ride, as it seemed the dips and turns were more pronounced and steeper.

Keep up the great work, Lou!!!

17. Deeps300 says:

The twelve submarines from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. No contest, hands-down, the most incredible ride vehicles ever to have graced the Magic Kingdom

18. Adam says:

New WDW Radio t-shirts: “Squirrels burn cleaner.” What do you think?

19. Bigthundermickey says:

I think that the Kilimanjaro Safari squirrel burning open air trucks are themed perfectly. They fit the attraction, allow excellent visibility for the animals and are very easy on and off.

20. Sarah says:

LOL at Squirrels burn cleaner! I love fast and crazy roller coasters, but I totally agree with the TTA! Great place for a break :)

21. DisneyDaddy says:

As I was listening to this show, I thought to myself, what are the ride vehicles that play a major role in the attraction experience?

With that in mind, here is my top 10:
    Dinosaur
    Soarin’
    Test Track
    Toy Story Mania
    Buzz Lightyear
    Peter Pan’s Flight
    Spaceship Earth
    Star Tours
    Walt Disney World Railroad
    Tower of Terror

22. WDWLocal says:

Another WDW ride vehicle that should’ve been on the list is the Hunny Pots in “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh”. They’re also pretty technologically-advanced as well, due to the fact that those vehicles react to the environments that they’re traveling through (bouncing with Tigger, bobbing through the flood, etc.).

23. Scott says:

One of the best Top Ten segments yet!

Aside from the rides already mentioned on the show and in the posts, some of my other favorites include:

1. Norway Viking Boats
    2. The Expedition Everest Train
    3. The Star Tours simulator

Also, a new Top Ten idea that i’ve always wanted to hear…

Top Ten Things You Do Before Entering the Parks…

and this top ten could range from things you do in anticipation of Disney World at home (such as watching a Disney flick or studying the maps),to traditions you have once arriving on property, all the way up to inserting your ticket at the park gate.

Don’t know if its feasible or not but great show nonetheless.

24. Patrick says:

I agree that Carousel of Progress should have been at least a runner up. Also, the Lean Rails in Canada.

BTW, Where can I find the link to sign up for the trivia contest where Lou calls you ??

25. Ashleigh says:

I agree with Craig, CoP

Also, if we’re talking extinct attractions, old Journey into Imagination for sure!

26. Josh says:

Hey guys, it’s Josh.

Although there is not to much to one of my favorites, it’s still a timeless classic. It’s the Pirates of the Caribbean boats. I just think it’s cool that there not a all decked out with pirate decorations, just a simple boat. But, heres my top ten.

1.Doom Buggy
    2.Test Track Cars
    3.Pirates Boat
    4.Tower of Terror Elevator
    5.Jungle Cruise Boat
    6.Peter Pans Flight Boat
    7.Space Mountain Shuttles
    8.Kilomanjaro Safaris Trucks
    9.Rock n’ Roller Coaster Limo
    10.Buzz Lightyear Spinny Spaceship Thingys?

27. ryan skrzypek says:

lou

28. Alex says:

I have to be odd, even though its more transportation than a ride. But I consider it a ride the WDW Railroad trains. For the face that trains have such a deep rooting in Walt’s past. They are relaxing and gives a great little get away from the parks crowds for a little bit.

29. Jeff` says:

#1 The carousel of Progress
    #2 The Skyway ride from Tommorrowland to Fantasyland . I miss thos eold buckets in the sky
    #3 Pirates of the Carribean
    #4 The boat ride in The Land
    #5 the original Journey into Imagination. In my opinion the biggest marketing mistake of WDW. Figment and the Dreamfinder are way to popular to have not gotten more attention.
    #6 Horizons
    #7 The boat ride in Mexico

30. Michelle says:

31. Ken B says:

It’s the rides that make me recall Walt Disney, that warm my heart the most. Riding the Railroad, TTA, Carousel of Progress and spending a relaxing ride (must be one of Tim’s favorites, it’s very slow, surprised not mentioned yet) on the Liberty Square Riverboat. My honorable mention are the Main Street Vehicles.
    My favorite parts of the WDW Magic Kingdom DVD are the ride through on the Railroad, Main Street Horse Drawn Trolley and Riverboat, with the option to view the entire ride in all four directions. Talk about a great “fix” when you’re missing the park!