Construction has begun in Fantasyland in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kindgom, as the beginning of the major expansion is underway.
Recently, construction walls were erected throughout Fantasyland, and in the process, marked the closing of Ariel’s Grotto, Scuttle’s Landing, the large tent and seating area, and Pooh’s Playful Spot. If you (or your kids) would still like to meet Ariel, she can now be seen in the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade and the SpectroMagic parade at the Magic Kingdom.Â She also appears onstage at the Voyage of the Little Mermaid at Disneyâ€™s Hollywood Studios. She will eventually have a new grotto greeting location and ride-through attraction called Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid as part of the Fantasyland expansion (scheduled to open in 2013).
Winnie the Pooh and Tigger now appear in Town Square on Main Street, USA for meet and greets, while the tree from the center of Pooh’s Playful Spot has been moved to the entrance to the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (be sure to go inside and look for the hidden tribute to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!)
This is the first part of the initial phase of the transformation of Fantasyland, which will include the closure of Mickey’s Toontown Fair later this year. Expected to be completed by 2013, it will nearly double the size of Fantasyland, and include four new, Disney classic-inspired areas to explore, each of which will feature interactive Storybook adventures with classic Disney princesses.
Guests will soon be able to:
- Visit their favorite Disney Princess in her castle, cottage, or chateau to share a dance with Cinderella; celebrate Sleeping Beauty’s birthday with the Good Fairies; or join Belle in an enchanting story performance in the Beast’s castle library.
- Be Our Guest and dine in one of three enchanted rooms inside the Beast’s castle.
- Fly with Dumbo high above brand new circus grounds, twice the size of the existing attraction with a new interactive, three-ring circus tent.
- Journey under the sea with Ariel, The Little Mermaid, in her very own attraction – also opening at Disney’s California Adventure in Anaheim in 2011.
- Meet Tinker Bell and her friends in the magical world of Pixie Hollow.
Here is a video of the construction walls and new concept art which were erected recently throughout Fantasyland.
So, what do YOU think of the expansion plans? Are you excited? What are you looking forward to the most? COMMENT on the blog below!