/ Sunday, July 18th, 2010

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #179 for the week of July 18, 2010.

Walt Disney World traces much of its roots to the original Disneyland in California. And with July 17 marking Disneyland’s 55th anniversary, it’s only appropriate that we take a look at how some of Disneyland’s origins have impacted Walt Disney World. Jim Korkis joins me again this week to share some of the true stories behind the stories, as we start in Fantasyland with Cinderella Castle and look back at exactly how and where Disneyland began. And Jim will share with us not just stories that have never been told before, but Walt’s own words that served as the proposal for what would be come Disneyland, and includes many amazing ideas that carried forward to become what we see today in Walt Disney World.

I’ll play more of your voicemails and have a few announcements at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

INFORMATION AND LINKS FROM THIS WEEK’S SHOW

Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World and other Disney Events and Meetups

To join us for a PRE-CRUISE stay in Walt Disney World before we embark on the Disney Dream on Feb. 27, 2011, visit MouseFanTravel for package information, including our Illuminations party! (Note: Package is only open to those confirmed as booked with us on the cruise. Rates INCLUDE the IllumiNations party the night before we embark)

Join us for other special events, Walt Disney World meetups and more! Get more information, dates and locations here

13 Responses to "Show # 179 – July 18, 2010"

1. Kim Korkis is a treasure trove of Disney knowledge. Disney should get him back on board. His knowledge of story is so invaluable!!!

2. Was psyched to hear Jim Korkis on the show again and even more psyched to hear September 26th is an important day in the “Disney Calendar” cause it’s my birthday!

Great show as always!

3. Daddy Pete says:

Jim korkis not only is a master storyteller but the way he tells the stories leaVes me wanting more.

4. Bill Naile says:

Pretty meaty show, Lou. I learned so much. Great job.

5. Long Time Listener says:

These shows about the history and stories behind the parks are my favorite! I’ve read about the story he told about the presentation in New York and I’ve seen the document he read quoted in biographies, but it was great to hear more from it and get more info behind it.

6. Tina From Ottawa says:

AMAZING!!!! I will say it yet again…I so love when you and Jim talk shop!! Two passionate Disney masterminds of information colliding to create jaw dropping podcasts that leave you reminising, remembering and longing for the next re-visiting :)
    Thank you SO much for sharing with us all!

7. WONDERFUL show Lou!!!!!! Thank you so much for bringing Jim back to the show! It was a touching and informative show! Thank you guys!

8. Thanks Lou!!! Fantastic show!!! You and Jim Korkis = Disney Encyclopedia.

9. Happy Keller says:

I want all 8 pages of that “pitch doc”! Disneyland will feel different to me now that I have heard these great excerpts.

Thanks…Hap!

10. I agree with the comments. A wonderful show! I especially had a heart felt moment when I heard Mr. Korkis describe Walt’s conversation with Herb Rymon about drawing Disneyland, and Walt having a tear running down his cheek while trying to convince Herb Rymon to do the drawing. It shows to me how passionate Walt was towards his projects.

Keep up the good work! And keep the stories coming!

11. Disneydad71 says:

Another amazing show! I agree w/ every comment on here. I listened to the show twice in a row. Hanging on every word of the proposal. Keep it coming Lou!!

12. GooftRulez says:

This was an incredible show. I listened on edge to every word. The whole story behind Disneyland and its effects on WDW are at the very least intriguing.

13. saffronica says:

Thanks very much Lou and Jim for such a great show! It was very intriguing to get to hear about some of the visions Walt had for his Disneyland. And I know I’m not the only one who’s glad you can’t order ponies at Disney World! Could you imagine the long line of fit-pitching children trying to con their parents into ordering a gift wrapped pony? Yikes!