Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #178 for the week of July 11, 2010.

Walt Disney’s “Florida Project” brought to Orlando the magic of Disneyland, and plans that would expand upon that idea to a working city and so much more. And while we all have heard the tales of the trips to the Florida swampland, you may never have heard the stories of some of Walt’s original plans for his second theme park. This week, we’ll look at The Walt Disney World That Almost Was with author Chad Emerson, and explore some of the untold stories of where in the world Walt Disney World almost came to be.

I’ll draw a name and randomly call a listener to play Fact or Fiction, where I’ll ask 10 true or false trivia questions about Walt Disney World to give them a chance to win some prizes.

I’ll play more of your voicemails and have a few announcements at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

INFORMATION AND LINKS FROM THIS WEEK’S SHOW

World's largest Hidden Mickey

View the “World’s Largest Hidden Mickey” in Google Maps

Walt Disney’s view of Bay Lake (currently standing near the dock of Disney’s Contemporary Resort)

Book Cover

Purchase Project Future directly from Amazon.com (affiliate link)

Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World and other Disney Events and Meetups

To join us for a PRE-CRUISE stay in Walt Disney World before we embark on the Disney Dream on Feb. 27, 2011, visit MouseFanTravel for package information, including our Illuminations party! (Note: Package is only open to those confirmed as booked with us on the cruise. Rates INCLUDE the IllumiNations party the night before we embark)

Join us for other special events, Walt Disney World meetups and more! Get more information, dates and locations here

Get the Latest Disney Updates Delivered to You Each Week!

7 Responses to "Show # 178 – July 11, 2010"

1. Bonnie in FL says:

The Project Future segment was very interesting. I would love to know exactly where in Palm Beach this property is located. Like, what is actually there today?

2. Dennis says:

Hey Lou,

Awesome episode! Lot’s of interesting tid bits about WDW that I have never heard. Chad was a fascinating guest and very knowledgable! I’ve got to pick up a copy of his book!

You mentioned on the Podcast that you were going to post a picture of the exact spot where Walt stood looking out on Bay Lake. Could you post that picture? I’m heading down to WDW in October and would love to visit that spot!

Thanks,
    Dennis

3. Scott Cornelius says:

Thanks Lou, great interview with Chad. I purchased his book after his interview on WDW Today and have learned a lot. It is a fun, interesting, and informative read.

4. Mike Fink says:

I’ve read Chad’s book (loved it) and have heard him interviewed before. Lou, your interview was the best I’ve heard of him. Listening to two fellow lawyers dig deep into the details made for great listening. Doing it ‘onsite’ enhanced the discussion somehow. It felt like you guys were channeling yourself back to November 1963 when Walt spied Bay Lake for the first time. One question I would like to ask Chad is what he thinks of the Golden Oak project. Does he think it is in any way aligned with Walt’s vision for a community at WDW?

I’m continually impressed by how great your podcast is.

5. Kristy Scott says:

Hey Lou,
    Loved this weeks podcast, great as usual. Really, really enjoyed your interview with Chad, I plan on purchasing this book, sounds very interesting. You had mentioned in your podcast that you would post a picture of the exact spot that Walt Disney had stood when looking at Bay Lake, I would love to know where this is, we will be going to Disney the first of October.
    Thanks so much Lou and Keep Up the Awesome work
    Kristy

6. anna says:

This was one of your best. I did not know about the St. Louis ideas, and since I live in Kansas City I wish that would have worked out :)
    Anna

7. Matt says:

Can we see a picture of the view from behind the Contemporary where Walt stood?