Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #187 for the week of September 12, 2010.

This week’s show is all about you, as I’ll answer more of your listener email. Questions include everything from finding that special souvenir to some “Imagineering dreaming,” take-out options from Walt Disney World restaurants, traveling to the resort, camping, Song of the South, timing your dinner reservations just right, the mysterious birds in Epcot, choosing some special events and so much more.

I’ll have a few announcements about some upcoming Disney meets and events and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links From This Week’s Show:

POST YOUR COMMENTS IN RESPONSE TO THIS QUESTION BELOW: If you had to place a restaurant INSIDE of an attraction (for example, The Living Seas and Coral Reef, and The San Angel Inn and El Rio de Tiempo) what attraction would you choose and what type of restaurant would you include?

WDW Radio Cruise on the Disney Dream Logo Gear at Cafepress

The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel is offering guests a chance to indulge at the first annual Food & Wine Classic at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Oct. 8 and 9. More information

DisneyMeets.com – Join us for Disney fan gatherings and WDW Radio Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World, including D23’s Destination D meets in Disneyland, Congaloosh, the Food & Wine Walkabout & more! Get dates and locations here!

Post your Disney Cruise Line and Disney Dream questions here

Audio Guide to Walt Disney World

Liberty Square AND Mickey’s Toontown Fair Available NOW as an instant download or Pre-Order the Guides on CD

Click Here to learn more or order!

RSS
Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

35 Responses to "Show # 187 – September 12, 2010"

1. Jazmine says:

I would love to have a restaurant on top of Imagination. It could be like the walls changing colors and figment and the dreamers pictures and the chairs would be purple. The wait staff dressed like a painter white with splash of colors/ The plants in different shapes and the cups in neon colors. I could go on and on. Have a magical week and keep spreading the magic.

2. Mark Vitek says:

Another great show! Some thoughts.

As for a restaurant inside an attraction, I’d love to see a Southern Restaurant inside Splash Mountain; perhaps over-watching the finale scene. That would be excellent. Great food, a great view and great atmosphere.

I’m also diabetic and WDW is the best place to vacation for meal options. They take great care of you, if you let them know what you need. And I’ll highly recommend the Plaza Restaurant and the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor for the NSA milkshakes, ice cream and sorbet for a diabetic-friendly treat. Any buffet is an excellent choice as there is always a great variety of carb-conscious options, especially for breakfasts.

I’d love to see the Walk Around the World come back. But as something new, I think it would be cool for a Nature Path of dedicated planks around the Tree of Life.

Thanks again for another great listen.

~Mark Vitek~

3. darby says:

I think it would be cool

4. flrancho says:

This may sound a bit weird, but Kilimanjaro Safari. I know they feasibly could not put a restaurant inside the attraction, but it would have to be more on the outskirts of the attraction. I just think it would be really neat to be able to have lunch or dinner and be able to look out and see all the animals out on the savannah.

5. Bob says:

For a restaurant inside of an attraction, I immediately thought of the Haunted Mansion. It could be a recreation of the ballroom scene, and there could be special effects all over the place. The restaurant would not really be in the actual ride part, but maybe behind/under the haunted mansion – Disney could make it look like you are entering the mansion, and then you’d be guided into the ballroom where you could eat dinner among the 999 happy haunts. The possibilities for this are endless.

Might be difficult to get the effects right, but if anyone could do it, it would be Disney!

PS – Disney, I’m available for hire ::wink wink::

6. Bob says:

One more thing to add to my Haunted Mansion post: It would be a great place for a sit-down restaurant. I feel like there aren’t nearly enough options in the Magic Kingdom.

7. Sarah F. says:

I would love to have an English fish and chips restaurant beside Peter Pan’s Flight in Fantasyland. The restaurant could be an extension of the flying over London part of the attraction. It could have a whimsical feel to it. I love Peter Pan, as well as fish and chips, and I would love to experience this type of “attraction” restaurant!

8. Angela says:

I would love for Disney to bring back the Leave a Legacy or Walk around the World or something similar. It would be so great to have something of ours at Disney all the time!

9. Jennifer Tremley says:

Lou-I love your Journey Into Imagination idea, that would be awesome! I love your show, listen to it each week, and I truly enjoy your site. Keep up the great work!

I am leaving this Thursday for WDW for 10 days, staying at Pop Century, can’t wait!!!

10. Mike Fink says:

My idea is not to move a restaurant into an attraction, but to move an attraction into a (defunct) restaurant.

Tiki Room Under New Management is tired in every way. Lots of the figures and effects are not working, and the show itself was, let’s just say it was a big mistake from the beginning. Attendance is poor.

The Adventureland Veranda restaurant has been sitting empty for years and is dearly missed.

The beloved Adventurer’s Club at DTD is gone and looks like it ain’t ever coming back (except for one upcoming reprise).

Solution: Move the Tiki Birds into the Adventureland Veranda for an all-new dinner show. This show could include elements of the original Tiki Room show from Disneyland mixed with live elements featuring the cast of the Adventurer’s Club.

Walt’s original idea was to make the Tiki Room a dinner show anyway, and the show / restaurant idea has already been done at Disneyland Paris, so why not WDW?

This would leave the existing Tiki Room empty, but it could be redesigned to serve as a multi-purpose space. It would make a great meeting room, or could serve as a temporary snack stop during the Halloween and Christmas parties.

If there is any money left over in the budget, please use it to fix the fountains in Adventureland and re-open Diamond Horseshoe in Frontierland. Oh and get rid of those stupid magic carpets. Thanks.

I offer these ideas to you Disney, as always, free of charge.

11. Michelle C. says:

Great show, as always. It’s funny that the restaurant question should come up. My husband and I were recently in Disneyland in California (for our anniversary) and while we were riding the train around the park (a tradition for us–we both come from railroad families) we thought it would be a wonderful idea to be able to get on special rail cars where you could eat/drink, etc., and enjoy the WDW or DW railroad over a good meal. This is especially true for Disney Land as, we feel, the dining options are definitely not as good as what is available in WDW.

Imagine seeing DL or the Magic Kingdom while eating a gourmet dinner in a luxuriously appointed rail car! Make it happen, Lou, if anyone can it’s you :)

12. Mike Fink says:

Here’s another one I’ve been working on. It has ‘hit’ written all over it:

Mike Fink’s Candlelight Keel Boat Suppertime Cruise

Ply the Rivers of America in a semi-authentic keel boat as you dine on pioneer-style vittles.

Meal includes:

Appetizer: Sourdough biscuit
    Entrée: Elk jerky
    Dessert: Salt-water taffy (2 pieces per Guest)
    Drinks: Hard cider or fire-brewed coffee

Prices:

Adults (ages 3 and up): $34.99
    Children: $29.99

Refillable mugs are available for an additional $15.99 (just dip your mug in the Rivers of America and drink all you want).

3% discount available to Annual Pass holders.

Prices do not include Magic Kingdom park admission.

This suppertime cruise does not participate in the Disney Dining Plan.

13. Geren says:

Hey Lou, great show! You are so enthusiastic! As a former radio broadcaster, I specifically came to the website to hear the Disney World Information Radio clips. If you have them, I’d love to hear them.

Suspend Your Disbelief,

Geren

14. karen klein jenkins says:

I second the Mansion suggestion. I think re-creating the ballroom scene in a restaurant would be awesome! And they could even use the same costumes as the attractions hosts and hostesses. :)
    I am also looking forward to the clips from the WDW AM radio station. I do remember the signs along World Drive after passing through the main gates.
    Love the show!
    Karen

15. Sarah Johnson says:

I want to go bigger and say restaurant AND accommodations at The Tower of Terror. That would be SO popular, especially during Halloween time.

Love the show, my family and I will be returning to our true home, WDW, in December. Hope to see you then!

Sarah Johnson
    Scranton, PA

16. Donna says:

I also thought Adventure land and adventurer’s club but I thought it would be a perfect fit with the Jungle Cruise. They could use the decor from the AC and serve all sorts of exotic dishes that taste like chicken.

17. Chad says:

I would add a restaurant to the Jungle Cruise. A fence of bamboo sticks would separate the restaurant from the ride, and the diners would be ‘captured’ tourists. Each time a cruise goes by the cruise director would make a quip about the prisoners.

18. How about a dinner cruise that circles Seven seas Lagoon in World Showcase? But, more than just a cruise on a boat… You and your dinning partner/partners get the white glove treatment in your own personal dinning “pod”/platform with tables on a track that does a half circle of the lagoon. You’d have two dining adventures to choose from depending on which side you chose… you can go to the left to right, US- Mexico or right to left Morocco- Canada .There would be a train of eight to ten pods per side. As your pod passes each country you pull along side a dock on the water.. A representative chef from that country cooks for you and your companions on a “dock” with a cooking station right on the waterway in front of the respective countries in your half loop. Very exclusive off menu items that you can’t get in the pavilion’s restaurants/ wine parings. The chef prepares the items fresh and in front of you for each party in the each dinning pod. The docks and the pods would have to be enclosed somehow due to weather considerations and some sort of restroom would have to be available at water level at each dock. The pods themselves could be made like a graduated pearl necklace larger dinning parties in the center and very small service for two on the outside. The price would be reflective of the size of party you were dinning with. The price point would be like Victoria and Alberts. I sure hope I’d get a free meal seeing as how I…… you know.. DESIGNED IT!
    Of course at 9pm the pods converge for a front and center showing of Illuminations..

19. Elizabeth says:

A new Adventurers Club/Restaurant
    *in MK Adventureland – overlooking an area within the Jungle Cruise hard to Kungaloosh though with no ‘loosh’ in MK.
    *in HS – overlooking Indiana Jones area
    *in AK – Kali River Rapids
    *in EP- a new pavilion featuring India

20. Bill Rainaldi says:

I too am looking forward to the AM radio station clips. That is something I remember well– driving through the front gate and hearing the Disney World radio station. I felt like I was home at least.

21. Elizabeth says:

Space age dining- complete with robots and ipad menus in Tomorrowland. Retro themed using technology of today.

22. Marisa says:

I think Chief Nahme would make a great waiter at the world famous Jungle Cruise restaurant! I think a retaurant inside the Jungle Cruise would be very fun. Also, why not a restaurant in Test Track? It could be built off to the sides of one of the testing areas with an auto kind of theme.

23. FrankVC says:

Ok — I figure I will chime in as well — anyone know where the AM radio clips are? My wife never heard of it and can’t wait to show her I wasn’t making it up.

24. Darby says:

I think they should take out Star Traders at Disneyland and put in a Star Wars themed restaurant. It can be either based off the Mos Eisley Cantina or maybe even Dex’s Diner! I feel if they can have a Star Trek themed restaurant in Las Vegas, then a Star Wars restaurant is easily manageable. Or what would be really cool, is if you can have different themed rooms. So one dining room can be the Cantina, another can be Dex’s Diner, another can be a fictious diner from Corruscant…

25. Julie says:

I would like to see a restaurant in Pirates. It could be Carribean food and drinks served by Pirates and maids as well as Captain Jack.

26. Brandon Glover says:

Bonjour Lou! Long time listener, first time caller. I have a possible answer to one of the questions mentioned in this particular episode. One listener asked about the possibility of “take out” options from the restaurants, and I was reminded of an experience my family had in the spring. We are passholders that live 30mins from the parks, so we never make any reservations for the restaurants in the parks, we just find one with seating available when we get hungry. On this occasion, I believe we left a Flower Power concert and were ready to eat. We wanted to eat at Le Cellier to taste the Cheese Soup. At the time we didn’t realize how busy the location was, so we asked the CM at the post about seating. We were told it was booked for months, but if we wanted just Cheese Soup, we may be able to walk up and purchase a “take out” bowl of soup. According to the CM working the post, when the kitchen isn’t very busy, you may be able to purchase dishes such as the soup and take it with you without having to sit down inside. Unfortunately they were too busy that day, but it seems they will work with you on slower days. Just something I thought I’d pass along as a tip that may be helpful. And as for a special restaurant, I’ve got two ideas: The Big Thunder BBQ, circle around a camp fire and eat ribs/chicken/steaks/chili with a southwestern flare! My other idea would be to have a floating buffet, in either the Gran Fiesta area or if I’m not mistaken, there was a building built to house the boat ride through Germany. I love the Biergarten (I probably eat there too much) but I think eating on a boat cruise would be exciting and innovative! Thank you for the excellent shows, and Keep Moonwalking Backwards!

Brandon

27. Michelle says:

Thanks Lou for answering my quesiton ! I have checked out show 103 and made some notes for when I do finally get my trip booked! (Thnaks to Mark V above as well) Take care ..

28. Passarino6 says:

You know Lou, I sent you an e-mail suggesting a Dreamfinder-inspired restaurant in the Image Works a while ago…you even read it on the show with Beci. I specifically mentioned how it has a great character connection and it would give EPCOT another sit-down location in Future World. I guess you forgot about it.

29. Jason says:

Lou,

I loved that you answered a question about the old Disney Radio (80’s and early 90’s) that guests could listen to when driving into the Disney Resort. I have fond memories listening the various themed recording from my childhood and also annoying my dad in 2006 to seek every radio station possible searching for the station. Not believing him that it no longer existed. Anyways, you mentioned on the show that you would post old recording of the Disney radio. When you have a free second will you please post them, as I would love to hear them. Thanks and I have been a huge fan since the old show.

Jason

30. Paul Jones says:

Lou,
    Another great show this week, with lots of good info from you and Beci. One question, I thought you mentioned something about a link in the show notes to some old Disney Radio audio, but I’m not seeing it? Thanks for everything you do in helping to spread the magic worldwide & 365!
    Paul from Texas

31. Vickie says:

Hi Lou and fellow disney fans, What great ideas! Love the Haunted Ball Room, Tiki Hut, and Adventures Club! I also like the Train Cars idea. My idea was about a train theme too. My restaurant is inside the Train Station. The decor would include lots of pictures of Walt Disney and his trains at home, all the imagineers who worked with Walt on the parks trains, and pictures of all the trains from every park around the world. There would be schedule boards with hidden meanings, like the one in MK, and shadow boxes with miniature models of the parks trains. The lights would be Lanterns. There would be model trains traveling around the restaurant on an elaborate maze of tracks overhead. They would travel through many painted scenes as they looped the room. Management would wear engineer costumes, and the staff would be dressed as porters. There would be lots of tables and booths with a casual fun menu.

32. Sharon&Randy says:

I just think a restaurant connected with Star Tours would be a hit. I have talked about this on the forums already and am very excited about this idea. A restaurant in the form of the canteen. Even having the band perform at times. The Cast members dressed as the humans or aliens. (I think this would be fun for the Cast Members) The food could be so creative. Unique but high quality. You would not go for just the atmosphere but the food. I think there is a need for another high quality restaurant at the Studios. Could you imagine what you could serve? I think the chefs could have so much fun.
    I think everyone could have a lot of fun!!
    Love the shows! Thanks! Sharon

33. Kellie says:

Just started listening to the show after our recent trip to Disney World with our girls for the first time. I came here looking for the audio of the AM Disney station. I remember driving up to Disney World when I was little and my parents tuning in to the Disney station. As my husband was driving the car onto the property a few weeks ago, this memory came rushing back to me and I almost reached for the radio tuner. The only thing that stopped me was that I was afraid there would be too many stations to sift through. Thanks for bringing it up anyway so that I too know I’m not crazy.
    Also, I have to say that the Haunted Mansion restaurant was the first thing that came to mind. A Louisiana, Cafe du Monde inspired sit down restaurant on balconies overlooking the ball room.

34. Ed says:

I may be showing my southern side or my military side, whicever but I would love a “Kill it and Grill it” type place at Kilamajaro Safaris that featured a wild game menu. I know…I’m pretty sick but I think it would be great!

35. Alyssa says:

Love Mike Fink’s idea! Yours too, Lou!

I LOVE Disney, and when I am old enough, (I’m currently 12 years old) I want to be a Disney Cast Member.

Anyway, so I think it’d be fantastic if I could put a dinner show on the train in WDW! It could just be a couple of minutes long and actually be a radio show! You could listen while eating the type of food they serve on trains.
    Yuuummmmmy. :)