There are many layers to the Walt Disney World experience, and part of what I try to do on the show, site and in my books and CDs is help you peel back many of them to help you enjoy the parks and resorts in new and exciting ways. From highlighting the stories, to the details, history trivia and overlooked experiences, visiting the parks is so much more than simply enjoying the attractions on their face. But one way to enjoy and explore the parks is to take advantage of the many opportunities that are available. This week, we’ll explore just one of those ways as we look at the Top Ten Educational Opportunities in Walt Disney World. Not only for kids, there are countless opportunities to not just learn, but enhance your experience, as well as educate others about so many different things in so many different ways. This will be a fun look at the parks from a unique perspective that will help you look at your next visits as ones that are filled with wonderful opportunities.

I’ll have a few announcements and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Lou-Mongello-Logo-2014 copyFind out how Lou can bring some¬†Disney into your classroom with youth motivational and educational presentations. Learn more…

Tell us in the Comments section below: What are some of your favorite educational opportunities in Walt Disney World?

8 Responses to "Show # 192 – Top Ten Educational Opportunities in Walt Disney World"

1. Scott says:

Best, most-thrilling educational opportunity: Sum of All Thrills at Innoventions at Epcot.

2. Mary says:

Interesting show this week. I was about to be just as flabbergasted as Tim until you mentioned my favorite “edutainment” piece – Sum of All Thrills. But I’m a little partial to that one as a trained engineer.

One of the things I think that people should look into is the Y.E.S. program (Youth in Education Series). This is more a “plan ahead” thing than something you can just take part in at the park you happen to be at that particular day. But there are some great programs for all students. I’m excited to have my teens take part in some of the science and math related classes at some point.

3. Jared says:

Lou,

Have not even listened to the podcast yet but I am very excited to hear it. I am a junior high social studies teachers and of course a wdw nut. I have had students take disney vacations during the school year and I will send them with a worksheet of different things to find and learn about at wdw. They really love it. Many times I work some type of wdw trivia or information into my lectures. I wish I could organize a field trip from my school down there and take the kids through all the educational aspects of the parks. Can’t wait to listen to the podcast!!! Keep up the good work!

4. Mike Fink says:

I don’t know Tim personally, but judging from his persona on the podcast I came up with this Disney character formula to describe him:

Maurice (dedicated father, inventive) + Pooh (lovability) + a dash of Heimlich (show biz flair) + a pinch of Chicken Little (fear of thrill rides) = Tim Foster.

5. Melissa says:

What character is Tim like? Hmmm — given his paranoia about thrill rides, how about Tantor the Chicken Elephant from Tarzan. The best line from the movie is when Tantor whines “There might be BACTERIA!”

j/k — you’re both great! Thanks for the show!

6. wdwdoc says:

Tim Foster is Cogsworth.

7. Kristen Baptista says:

Hi Lou, We have a very specific need in our family about education and Disney World. My 7 year old son has Autism. What we’ve done is make a book of a “social story” of his trip to WDW which includes a synopsis of what we’ll do on our trip including pictures of him in WDW from previous trips (his first trip was at 7 months old and we made the book to help him understand what to expect when he was 3 years old). As he’s gotten older and knows what to expect, I’ve included educational components to the book with 2 pages for each country in Epcot which includes food, shows, arcitecture and what’s in the shops. Now he gets so excited when we’re in a country and he recognizes what he sees (the Eiffel Tower or the statue St. George in Germany) and he learns something new every time we’re there. He loves the countries as well as Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land. He takes everything in and talks about it later. Very educational! Thanks Lou and I love the podcasts!

8. Bookboy says:

Tim reminds me of Jimminy Cricket.