/ Monday, October 4th, 2010

Jim Korkis and the Vault of Walt

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #190 for the week of October 3, 2010.

Disney historian, author and former Cast Member Jim Korkis has just released his first book – The Vault of Walt, and he joins me this week to discuss his history with Disney, as well as how the book came to be, and some of the stories about Walt Disney, the films, theme park attractions and more.

I’ll have a few announcements and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

You can email the show at lou@wdwradio.com or call the voicemail TOLL FREE at 888-703-2171.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from this Week’s Show

Listen to the full, unedited interview with Jim Korkis below. Jim discusses his personal stories and background, how he became an animation and Disney historian, working for the Disney Company and so much more

Purchase The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis on Amazon.com

Book Cover

WDW Radio Cruise on the Disney Dream Logo Gear at Cafepress

The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel is offering guests a chance to indulge at the first annual Food & Wine Classic at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Oct. 8 and 9. More information

DisneyMeets.com – Join us for Disney fan gatherings and WDW Radio Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World, including D23’s Destination D meets in Disneyland, Congaloosh, the Food & Wine Walkabout & more! Get dates and locations here!

Get the Latest Disney Updates Delivered to You Each Week!

12 Responses to "Show # 190 – October 3, 2010"

1. Mark Vitek says:

Lou, thanks for another excellent Jim Korkis interview. I’ve added the new book to my Amazon list for my next order. I never get tired of his stories. Thanks again!

~Mark Vitek~

2. Brian says:

Jim Korkis has a new book out on Disney?! Just ordered it!!!

3. Rob Croskery says:

I just ordered this book. Jim is a treasure, his book should be magnificent, and I am looking it forward to reading this on the plane on the way to the ConGaloosh Convention! Cheers. Rob

4. Darren says:

I had the pleasure of joining Jim Korkis and Jim Hill on a tour of the Magic KIngdom several years back. I met Jim Hill at the Adventurer’s Club and he was nice enough to invite me on Jim Korkis’ tour the next day, and it was amazing. The guy has forgotten more about the Magic Kingdom than I could ever know. If his book is anything close to what he was like when he gave the tour, count me in.

5. Tom Hinkle says:

Lou,

You and Jim Korkis are a tag team for doing interviews! You both have an uncanny way of promoting each others projects. It brings a smile to my face. I get tickled. Lou, you promote what he is doing during the interview, but then Mr. Korkis integrates what your doing right back into the next sentence. And it is so beautifully woven that I don’t feel like listening to an infomercial podcast! I love how both of you tell the story. It reminds me of how my grandmother would tell me stories when I was growing up. I guess that is part of the reason I’m a Disney enthusiast and will enjoy the projects that you two are involved in. I appreciate the explanation between what Dave Smith did and what you do Mr. Korkis. It answered the question I had and help me understand the difference.

I’m looking forward to reading the Vault of Walt.

To both of you, KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB! I wait with anticipation until the next story you two will explore!

**Tom Hinkle**

6. Karl says:

I was sitting on the Shinkansen (bullet train) heading back to Tokyo from a business meeting and planning on going to Tokyo Disney Seas tomorrow and I had been reading “The Vault of Walt” on the outbound leg (contrary to what was said in the broadcast, Amazon had the last week in September; I got my copy 2 days before I left for Japan) and was thinking about continuing to read the book, but I was tired so I put on the Podcast and what do you know, it is is about the book. I think it is good odds that I have the only copy of this book in Japan.

I’m loving the book so far. I have literally about 150 books on Disney and I am learning new things from this book.

The shows Lou does with Jim are just great. I was particularly touched by the show just a few weeks ago about Merlin. Many years ago I saw that show at Disneyland with my kids and it brought back memories. I still remember (and I have it on video tape) my then 6 year old son (who saw the show several times) asking me “how did they do that” with the sword so the little kid always pulled it out. My son was non too pleased with the answer “it’s magic” to which he said “now dad, really how did that do it.” It’s rather sad that they don’t do a “little show” like that anymore.

KarlG

7. Melissa D says:

I didn’t think I would enjoy a full show about a book, but once again Lou you show why you are the very best interviewer – Disney or otherwise. You engage people in such wonderful discussion, and make us feel like we are a part of it. You seem to make guests (and listeners) feel like they are your friends, and ask such wonderful and interesting questions that I never would have thought of. You are respectful, prepared (SO important!!!) and friendly. Keep up the amazing work!

And yes – because of the show and interview with Jim (who I never heard of before your show), I just went out and purchased a copy of the book for myself.

Thank you Lou for all you do!!

8. Michael D. says:

John’s book is also available in the Amazon Kindle e-book format!

9. Michael D. says:

Oops! Forgive me, I mean Jim!

10. Mark Vitek says:

Lou, thank you so much for providing the full interview. Jim Korkis has led such an amazing life and has such a personal vault of Disney knowledge that it is such a pleasure and amazement to listen to the two of you talk.
    __________________

~Mark Vitek~

11. Darryl McCormick says:

Lou and Jim Thanks for helping us to enjoy Disney even when we are not at the parks

Darryl McCormick CPA and friend of the show

12. David Zitzelberger Jr. says:

Why isn’t there a hardback version of The Vault of Walt? Just wondering.