Alan Menken Interview

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #196 for the week of November 14, 2010.

This week, I am honored to welcome in a very special guest. In addition to being a Disney Legend, he is the recipient of multiple Academy Awards, Golden Globes and Grammys for his work on Disney animated classics such as The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Enchanted and, of course, Beauty and the Beast. Legendary composer Alan Menken joins me to talk about his early career and helping to usher in the renaissance of Disney animation, as well as his work on Disney’s 50th full-length animated feature, Tangled. It’s a fascinating look into the the life and music of a man who continues to make magic for generations of Disney fans.

I’ll announce the details for next month’s special Meet of the Month in Walt Disney World, some other upcoming Disney Meets, a few other announcements and of course your voicemails. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links From This Week’s Show

Book Cover

Purchase the soundtrack on CD from Amazon.com

Purchase the soundtrack on iTunes

WDW Radio Cruise on the Disney Dream Logo Gear at Cafepress

DisneyMeets.com – Join us for Disney fan gatherings and WDW Radio Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World and other events around the country! Get dates and locations here!

Audio Guide to Walt Disney World

Liberty Square AND Mickey’s Toontown Fair Available NOW as an instant download or on CD!

Order all 5 on CD and save!

Click Here to learn more or order!

RSS
Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

6 Responses to "Show # 196 – November 14, 2010"

1. Mark Vitek says:

An excellent interview with an amazing and talented artist. Thanks for this show Lou!

~Mark~

2. Emma Godbold says:

YES, awesome announcement for 200th episode. I’m coming out of the box to join in the celebrations!!

3. Jon Grant says:

While I agree that the Hunchback soundtrack is an amazing and under-appreciated score, if I had to narrow it down to one song, I would have to pick “Belle” from Beauty and the Beast.

A great song, yes… but as an expositionary tool, the song is incredible. I’ve yet to see another movie do such a great job of ‘catching us up’ on the story… by the end of that song, you know exactly what is going on.

4. Dana (aka DragynAlly) says:

Swoon! He is so on my heroes list. He changed the game of Disney film forever.

5. ariel(aka The Little Mermaid) says:

hey lou, its ariel again, and you have a wonderful show here! the interviews are amazing, your trivia is out of this world, and your humor in your shows always put a smile on my face even on the rainy days. i thank you so much for having such a great show and i’m very grateful that you do what you do because this is a very big part of my life, Disney is the reason why i want to be a animater when i pass high school. thanks very much and keep up the great work! :-)

6. Chuck Munson says:

Hi Lou,
    As usual I’m catching up on podcasts, but couldn’t let this show pass by without thanking you for a wonderful interview with Alan. It would be impossible for me to say which, of all the Disney films for which Alan has written, is my own very favorite, but I have to agree that Hunchback in general is under-appreciated.

I’m not embarrassed to say that on hearing “God Help the Outcasts” for the first time, I could not stop the tears. That one always makes me choke up on mere mention. On the other hand, for sheer fun I believe between myself, my wife and a couple of good friends we can sing just about anything from “Hercules” (besides giving us any number of well-used quotes and memorable anachronistic visuals once Herc arrives in “The Big Olive”).