Disney’s Wild Africa Trek Review

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #206 for the week of January 23, 2011.

The newest and one of the most thrilling attractions in Walt Disney World immerses Guests in an experience that takes them deep into the story of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, and even deeper into the wild. Disney’s Wild Africa Trek is a 3-hour, guided adventure that clips you into a harness and onto a lifeline as you traverse rickety bridges above crocodiles and hang over cliffs overlooking a hippo pool, all with spectacular views of the African savanna. I had a chance to go on this journey, and we’ll review this new species of Disney attractions in this week’s roundtable and bonus video content.

I’ll have a few announcements, and then play some of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show

Photos Courtesy of MagicMan18

Join us every Wednesday at 7:30 pm EST at WDWNewsCast.com. Click HERE to watch past episodes, subscribe to the show and comment on the WDWRadio YouTube Channel

Join us for the WDWRadio Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic Tour!

August 14-19, 2011

Click here or the logo for more information!

WDW Radio Cruise on the Disney Dream Logo Gear at Cafepress

DisneyMeets.com – Join us for Disney fan gatherings and WDW Radio Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World and other events around the country! Get dates and locations here!

Audio Guide to Walt Disney World

Lou Mongello’s Audio Guides to Walt Disney World -Available NOW as an instant download or on CD! Order all 6 on CD and save! Click Here to learn more or order!

64 Responses to "Show # 206 – January 23, 2011"

1. dude249 says:

Wow this looks amazing how much is this?

2. WDWRadio says:

@dude249 Introductory price until the end of Feb. is $129, and then it will
    vary seasonally

3. WDWRadio says:

@ejud2001 Thanks! It was fun and funny trying to walk over the bridges
    trying to keep the camera steady :)

4. WillyM79 says:

looks like fun

5. Andrew Abad says:

Hey how much is this? Ahh who cares I’m doing it no matter what it costs.
    As long as it isn’t $10k like that Jane Goodall thing.

6. mouseofzen says:

Simply breathtaking!

7. Wayneman117 says:

[..YouTube..] I understand this is WDW’s 40th anniversary? Well…you would think they’d be running some great deals ALL YEAR…maybe a free dining plan…maybe some new attractions,but noooo…..least none I’ve heard…Deals,sure..Selective dates.

8. Wayneman117 says:

9. [..YouTube..] I heard them talk about this when I was at Universal Orlando this weekend. I know, it’s not Disney, but hey…at least it’s Florida.

10. TheDelranActor07 says:

11. mons3011 says:

[..YouTube..] It really looks fun, Lou. How long does the whole tour take?

12. mons3011 says:

It really looks fun, Lou. How long does the whole tour take?

13. KevinZ1971 says:

[..YouTube..] Wow! I didn’t pay much attention to this, but now I’m really exciting to try it. Thanks Lou!

14. KevinZ1971 says:

15. mcgpat says:

[..YouTube..] what is the song called towards the end of the video?

16. mcgpat says:

what is the song called towards the end of the video?

17. WDWRadio says:

[..YouTube..] Kevin, it’s an experience you’re really enjoy!!!

18. WDWRadio says:

Kevin, it’s an experience you’re really enjoy!!!

19. WDWRadio says:

[..YouTube..] About 3 hours

20. WDWRadio says:

About 3 hours

21. WDWRadio says:

[..YouTube..] The views are spectacular!!!

22. WDWRadio says:

The views are spectacular!!!

23. WDWRadio says:

It’s currently $129 but will “vary seasonally” up to about $189

24. WDWRadio says:

[..YouTube..] It’s currently $129 but will “vary seasonally” up to about $189

25. WDWRadio says:

It’s currently $129 but will “vary seasonally” up to about $189

26. annainaspen says:

[..YouTube..] Lou, that was simply breathtaking! You have inspired me to try and book this the Friday before we get on the ship for the WDW Radio cruise. What time of day was your trek?

27. annainaspen says:

28. John says:

How much is the trek?

29. Lou Mongello says:

Currently the Trek is having a promotional offer of $129 until the end of February. It will then vary seasonally, up to #189

30. McCracken257 says:

[..YouTube..] everything ive seen about this is amazing! I love how you dont have to worry about taking pictures, cause they will already be doing that for you. The food seems to be amazing. I would say for the price for this isnt to much at all. Disney has a big hit on this one!

31. McCracken257 says:

32. Jacob says:

Man I wish I knew about this trek when we were down there 2 weeks ago I would have def. done it. My wife and I loved the safari ride and went on it twice. Heck this will turn animal kingdom into a 2 day park for us instead of a day and a half. Yes Lou you have turned animal kingdom into a 1.5 day park for me.

33. Valerie says:

Lou, we booked the Trek for April 26th and the rate is $249 per person! I believe the $189 rate is from the end of Feb til April 2nd. I had asked if the higher rate was due to the Easter week but the CM said she believed that was going to be the standard rate :(

34. Adam says:

Great video — thanks! Looks fun.

Music question — what was the track you used at the end of the video (during the last minute or two)? Thanks a bunch.

35. Christopher says:

Thanks for a great overview of the trek both here and in the video. It inspired and encouraged me to give a call and see if I could get on the Trek on February 26 before joining you and the gang on the Disney Dream. I managed to get the last spot which I guess tells me it was meant to be.

Something that might be of interest to others that I don’t believe you addressed is the weight restrictions that were mentioned to me when I was booking. Minimum 48 pounds and Maximum 310 pounds.

Also the restrictions on carrying a camera and phone have been lessened. If the camera and/or phone are able to be securely fastened to the vest that is provided for the tour then they can be taken. Otherwise they must be left in the provided locker.

I am really looking forward to seeing this additional dimension to the Kilamanjaro Safari experience. It will be an awesome way to kick off the week of new Disney experiences.

36. ejud2001 says:

[..YouTube..] I built a mouth piece to hold my camera! See my vids! :)

37. ejud2001 says:

I built a mouth piece to hold my camera! See my vids! :)

38. [..YouTube..] Wow that looks amazing I would love to be taking the pictures for this in the cp program wow do you think I can get that as my job for the DCP ???

39. ElizaShakiraMassani says:

40. [..YouTube..] Wow, I would like to make this tour part of my next Animal Kingdom trip.

41. queenofthehouse0 says:

Wow, I would like to make this tour part of my next Animal Kingdom trip.

42. [..YouTube..] Lou, it’s difficult to keep up with all the fantastic content the WDW Radio team generates. So much of what I watch on your YouTube channel is great, but this video is especially excellent. As with the Richard Petty Driving Experience video on your channel, I watch this video and think that this might be as close as I ever get to this Disney attraction. I hope I do have a chance to experience these two attractions one day! Thanks for sharing this video with us.

43. MintMickeyDotCom says:

44. jdowney429 says:

[..YouTube..] great music!

45. jdowney429 says:

great music!

46. Dagekk968 says:

[..YouTube..] I hope they expand on this concept, these experiences are what make Disney its money.

47. Dagekk968 says:

48. [..YouTube..] Do I see Aaron explaining the food? :-) he was humming the African music you use in the 2nd half when I went on the Trek. Very nice experience.

49. amiedetherese says:

50. zcy181 says:

[..YouTube..] Do you know if kids can do the tour? My son whoud love to do this!

51. zcy181 says:

Do you know if kids can do the tour? My son whoud love to do this!

52. [..YouTube..] I am going on this in April cant wait

53. ThePerGronStudios says:

I am going on this in April cant wait

54. [..YouTube..] There is no place like Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I might have to splurge and take this trek someday.

55. rohirrim11rider says:

56. esg6345 says:

[..YouTube..] I know they take pictures for you, but are you allowed to take your own as well? im taking this tour in a couple months and would like to know ahead of time.
    Thanks :)

57. esg6345 says:

Thanks :)

58. [..YouTube..] Is there an Age or Hight limit for this?

59. survivorgurl94 says:

Is there an Age or Hight limit for this?

60. Happy says:

I took my brother and his family on the Wild Africa Trek after Lou’s recommendation…it was SO worth it!

It was our favorite day during our family reunion at WDW.

Hap!

61. AnyMusicalWillDo says:

That’s per person?

62. drake1362 says:

I called today, WOW over $200 per person. WHY the increase in price? I was going to do it for us at $129, but $208 i think she said x5 = OUCH. noway. DANG

63. Kristine Banas says:

We did this on October 13, 2012. This was one of the greatest things I have even done in my life!! I was the first across the suspension bridges….I am very proud of myself, as really am afraid of heights! Great experience. Our cost was $189.00 each.

64. Angela H says:

I’m applying for the Disney College Program Spring 2014 Semester, do you know what the price would be for Cast Members? This looks so amazing, I definitely want to do this if I get accepted and move to Florida.