Listener Questions

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #217 for the week of April 10, 2011.

I’ll open up the inbox this week and answer more of your emails, including questions about the Skyway, choosing a Deluxe Walt Disney World Resort, money saving secrets, making a trip special, getting groceries to your resort, and background music in the parks. We’ll also ask you to weigh in about some attractions that you might want to change.

I’ll have information about upcoming Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World, details of the WDW Radio Disney Cruise in 2012, how you can help others in need and more. I’ll then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show

What attraction in Walt Disney World would you shorten in duration (and why?) – Leave your response in the Comments section below

Disney Book Club

WDW Radio Disney Book Club

The first WDW Radio Disney Book Club selection is… Kingdom Keepers IV: Power Play – the latest in the wildly popular series by Ridley Pearson. Click here to purchase the book directly from Amazon.com

Join us every Wednesday at 7:30 pm EST at WDWNewsCast.com. Click HERE to watch past episodes, subscribe to the show and comment on the WDWRadio YouTube Channel

DisneyMeets.com – Join us for Disney fan gatherings and WDW Radio Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World and other events around the country! Get dates and locations here!

Audio Guide to Walt Disney World

Lou Mongello’s Audio Guides to Walt Disney World -Available NOW as an instant download or on CD! Order all 5 on CD and save! Click Here to learn more or order!

RSS
Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

20 Responses to "Show # 217 – April 10, 2011"

1. Jim O. says:

I can think of two. Ellen’s Energy Adventure. It’s a little out dated and tends to get a little repetitious and boring towards the end.
    Also The Great Movie Ride. Only the movie montage at the end. It seems to go on a little too long.

Other than that, I think a lot of the attractions should be longer than they are now.

2. daniel says:

I was the one to pose the question, and I agree with Becky about Tower, although I would make the pre-drop narrative longer and perhaps have a post-drop scene as well.

As for shorter rides: Ellen’s Energy=Check.

3. Jeff Swoish says:

Living with the Land could be shorter. I went on it while me and my wife and I did rider swap for my 3 year old because she is not tall enough to go on soarin. My five year old went on it twice and loved soarin that one could be longer. My favorite ride that could be longer is Splash mountain. Something that would be cool is a splash mountain where you could skip the drop so smaller children & becky could still see the cool animatronics in the ride.

Have a Wonderful Day! and Keep Moving Forward!
    Jeff

4. Leah says:

Another great episode-thanks Lou and Beci. Daniel, wow-what a great question!
    I completely agree with Lou that Peter Pan’s flight could be longer. Its over soo quickly!

To add to the discussion, another attraction that I wish would go on just a little longer is Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover . There is just something about zipping around up there that is relaxing and so enjoyable. Love it!

Coming up with an attraction to shorten is much more difficult. I’m tempted to say Toy Story Mania! because my arm kills me after pulling on that spring action shooter thing 1000 times! lol. But, in hopes of avoiding backlash, I’ll suggest that the Country Bear Jamboree could probably lose a few minutes. Some of their jokes and songs are a little too far off for me!

5. Kendall says:

One of my favorite classic rides is Peter Pan’s Flight, but it goes by way too fast…I don’t know what you could add, but you do wait for a very long time for a very short ride. Also, I think I could spend a couple hours riding Soarin’, so I would love for it to be longer. On the other side, I think the backlot tour has gotten a little long. I used to love the length and explanations you would get with the cast member tour guide, but now with the pre-recorded guide I don’t feel like I am getting as much interesting, unique info, and it just kind of feels like it is taking up valuable park time.

6. Jennifer Tremley says:

I would like to see the Tower of Terror be a little longer as well as Soarin. As far as shortening a ride, there is nothing I would want to shorten as I LOVE all the rides in Walt Disney World because in their own right each ride is special and has its own qualities.

7. Keith Chandler says:

I would love for Muppet Vision 3D to be longer. I love the muppets. They need to add more muppets, less waldo. The ride I would like shorter is Stitch’s Great Escape. The ending with Cinderella’s castle is horrible.

8. Chris Connor says:

If I could, I would make the Rockin Rollercoaster longer. I spend hours in the single rider line now as it is in order to get my fill.

I would shorten nothing, but would love to see alot of the rides updated and made more current like they are doing with Star Tours.

9. MaryEllen says:

GREAT show as always :)

10. Elaine Mazzara says:

Rockin Rollercoaster hands down needs to be longer!!!!! I’m 60 years old and I just can’t get enough of it! I also love Pirates, Soarin’, Tower, and Haunted Mansion. They could last all day as far as I’m concerned. I’m with Becky… I’d love the Doom Buggys to stop at the dining room so I can watch everything over and over. And I’m with Lou with feeling Stitch could be shorter especially once you sit down. But I’m just not a fan of Stitch. I have made it the shortest ride ever because it is the only ride I never go on. Great Show as always.

11. Mandee says:

Great show! I would have to say that the two rides I would love to extend would be Splash Mountain and Dinosaur (sorry Becky). Although I agree with Jeff (above), it would be awesome if Disney made it possible to bypass the final drop in Splash Mountain. When I was little, we would go to Disneyland and I always had to sit off the ride because I was terrified of anything that had a drop (I could barely do Pirates because of the drop). I can remember riding it, screaming, “throw me off,” as we ascended the hill to the final drop. Now, of course, I love the ride and can’t get enough of it. Obviously it would be hard for Disney to bypass the drop without having to reconstruct the entire ride, but it would be cool. Perhaps they could add some special boats that attach to the side rails of the drop shoot, acting like breaks, to allow the boat to slowly descend Chickapin Hill instead of rocketing down it, dissolving that stomach drop feeling you get from the normal 40 mph drop.

The ride I would most like to see shortened would be the buss rides to the parks. The last thing I want to do when I’m at Disney is sit on the bus from the hotel to the park, I just want to get there! I know this is not technically one of Disney’s “attractions” but I couldn’t bear to see any of the rides shortened! Although they could bring Alien Encounter back to replace Stitch’s Great Escape.

12. beci says:

Chicken exit on splash mountain!!! I LOVE that suggestion. :)

13. David Caffey says:

Attractions to Lengthen
    1. The Jungle Cruise – I haven’t been able to get enough of the Jungle Cruise since I was a little kid
    2. The Walt Disney World Railroad – I could ride around and around for a couple of hours
    3. Peter Pan’s Flight – I don’t know that I want to change it but I would love another couple of minutes

Attractions to Shorten

The Great Movie Ride – ugh

14. Paul says:

The attractions I most want extended: Toy Story Mania first. With waits routinely exceeding 90 minutes, having just the quick four games, each of which last maybe 30 seconds… yeah. It needs to have maybe two or three more games added in. Second would be Carousel of Progress. I don’t want any of the existing scenes removed. But I want another scene added between the 40’s and the ‘today’ (which is really 90’s-ish). And then I’d like a new scene added to the very end, to be more representative of the 2010’s and beyond.

The attraction I most want reduced: As the original listener said, Ellen is the obvious choice. 45 minutes is just too long for ANY attraction. But in addition, I’d have to go with Primevil Whirl. Every hill/dip and turn is the same. After the first two or three, it’s like “Okay, I get it!” and is more annoying than exciting. In my humble opinion, of course. :-)

Great, GREAT question from your listener!

15. Ron Havens says:

To answer the question about lengthening and shortening attraction times here’s my preferences. I’d like to see Mission Space last a bit longer. I don’t know what they’d add to make it longer. Perhaps a short prefilight check or a docking maneuver with a space station along the way before landing on Mars would be the way to do it.

Not to be unoriginal but I agree with Lou when he says the Stitch attraction needs to be about 5 minutes shorter. The time cut should be equally divided between the preshow and the show itself.

16. Heather says:

Shorten “It’s a Small World,” Lengthen Space Mountain. :)

17. Tina says:

I would love to see Space Mountain longer and Splash Mountain shorter. Space Mountain is a classic and it would be wonderful if the attraction was a little longer. I’m not a big fan of Splash Mountain (but it’s ok) so I could stand to see it much shorter.

18. Ray says:

Great show….but I’m going to have to disagree with you guys as far as choosing between The Beach Club, The Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge for the couple day romantic trip question. I’m thinking with only a couple of days at WDW saving time on travel will be need to be maximized. The transportation to the parks from The Beach Club is bus, boat and walking….all which take a lot of time. Wilderness Lodge has only boat and bus. Transportation from the Poly is Monorail to MK and Epcot and bus everywhere else. If they are planning on spending any time in Epcot or MK…the Monorail will be the most efficient mode of transportation.

19. Damon says:

Attraction I would love to be longer is Pirates, especially since Disneyland has a longer version. The one I would like shorter is It’s A Small World. It’s cute and all but it’s just a little too much goodness and warmth for me.

20. minniemouse01 says:

Beci you have more than one fan! But how can you be scared on Dinosaur but love the skyway? I was terrified of the skyway and while Dinosaur isn’t my favorite ride I would prefer that to the skyway.