/ Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

Top Ten Water Features in Walt Disney World

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #216 for the week of April 3, 2011.

There are countless opportunities in Walt Disney World to explore and appreciate attractions, details and other experiences in many new ways. Sometimes, it just takes looking at something with a different perspective. This week, we hope to help you do just that, as we examine the Top Ten Water Features in Walt Disney World. Often beautiful, kinetic, and sometimes overlooked, they are yet another layer of entertainment and story to be enjoyed throughout the resort.

I’ll announce dates and details about upcoming Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World, including something special we’re doing to make a difference, as well as details about the new WDW Radio Disney Book Club.

I’ll then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show, so sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show

Disney Book Club

WDW Radio Disney Book Club

The first WDW Radio Disney Book Club selection is… Kingdom Keepers IV: Power Play – the latest in the wildly popular series by Ridley Pearson.

Book Cover

Click here to purchase the book directly from Amazon.com (Affiliate Link)

Top Ten Smells of Walt Disney World – Show #75

Join us every Wednesday at 7:30 pm EST at WDWNewsCast.com. Click HERE to watch past episodes, subscribe to the show and comment on the WDWRadio YouTube Channel

DisneyMeets.com – Join us for Disney fan gatherings and WDW Radio Meets of the Month in Walt Disney World and other events around the country! Get dates and locations here!

Audio Guide to Walt Disney World

Lou Mongello’s Audio Guides to Walt Disney World -Available NOW as an instant download or on CD! Order all 5 on CD and save! Click Here to learn more or order!

15 Responses to "Show # 216 – April 3, 2011"

1. Kristian says:

Hey Lou and Tim,

You hit 14 on my list! Here’s what you missed:

1. Miss Piggy fountain outside Muppets 3D!
    2. The kids play fountains at Downtown Disney, and inbetween World Showcase and Future World.
    3. The floating, rotating brass globe in Tomorrowland.
    4. The talking water fountian in Future World
    5. Typhoon Tilly erupting funnel!
    6. Spitting Stitch at Downtown Disney
    7. Davy Jones projection on Pirates
    8. The fountain at the front of the Epcot Park

HOW COULD YOU MISS THESE?? ;)

2. Jennifer Tremley says:

Thanks for this week’s show Lou! I loved it, my top 3 water features are 1. Waterfall in Canada, Water out in front of Imagination, and Cinderella Fountain at Magic Kingdom.

3. Jon Grant says:

Great show!

Re: bamboo ‘thingy’ in Japan Pavilion… it’s a deer scare. It was actually the very first thing that came to my mind when I heard the topic of this week’s show.

And that other fountain by the Imagination pavilion… I love that fountain! If the laminar flow fountains are referred to as the ‘leaping’ fountains, I would call the other fountain the ‘bouncing’ fountain. Little droplets of water bouncing and dancing… I love it!

Got one more for you…

You mentioned the rain scenes in the Tiki Room and the Carousel of Progress… I like the ‘porch’ scene in the American Adventure. If you look closely, there is water falling from the roof edge in the first part of that scene, during the thunder storm. Such a cool little detail.

4. Emma Godbold says:

Thanks for including the several water features at Wilderness Lodge….how many photos did I take of Silver Springs during my stay in December???!!!!

5. Craig Ure aka CU3121 says:

Hi Lou, here is three of Walt Disney World’s overlooked water features. And my favorites.

1) Animal Kingdom Lodge indoor waterfall from the stairs going from the lobby down to Boma.
    2) Blizzard Beach’s Summit Plummet spurt of water from the ski slope as people go down the slide.
    3) Animal Kingdom’s Dragon Fountain – A great tribute to the never built Beastly Kingdom.

6. Jeff says:

My daughters have two favorite water attractions that no longer exist.
    The first one was pooh’s playful spot when we returned from vacation
    Easter Sunday 2009 that was their favorite thing!! (no longer there)

The next year last week of September 2010 we went back to Disney World and I had
    to tell them that pooh’s playful spot was gone and they were sad. I told them that Donald’s boat was still there and that had similar water stuff in it. They loved it we spent extra time there in Toon town because we knew from
    Lou that it probably would not be there on our next trip there. So we enjoyed toon town and found out a few months later that toon town was closing. I am glad that we went and seen it one last time. I need to purchase Lou’s Audio Guide to Toon town!! I have the first three already.

Any way I think the girls will be excited to see the entrance to Pooh’s Ride next time we go and that the tree is still there. Last time that we went the entrance was all boarded up but the ride was open. I think that they will like the interactive cue. Can’t wait to see it and the other improvements! Thanks Lou for the great job you do on the show!
    KEEP MOVING FORWARD! 8 – )

7. Todd H says:

The first things that came to my mind when I heard the show title were the Polynesian fountain, La Fountaine de Cindrillon, and (it’s a stretch…) the water pool beneath the monorail track in Future World.

8. John Frost says:

My favorite water feature might be the queue of Nemo as you pass from the shore into the ocean. I love the rusted railing, the pier posts, the underside of the boat on the ceiling and the ripple of lights coming out from the boat and the posts (when they’re working). I thought you guys would bring this up when you mentioned the seagulls. Wonderful show!

9. Jens says:

One of the things I thought of while listening was the gutter system on Spaceship Earth that funnels the rain off. Not pretty or visible but better than getting dripped on….

10. Mike A says:

A little behind in listening to the show, but how about “forgotten” water features. Growing up, I always loved the water falls (don’t know what else to call them) that came down in front of the twin towers that stood on either side of the bridge from the central plaza to Tomorrowland. These were removed in one of the Tomorroland updates.

Similar to the grotto Lou mentioned in Fantasyland, there used to be a fountain in the plaza outside Pirates of the Caribbean (where the shop is now). It was a wonderful little quiet spot. The fountain’s still there, but it’s now a planter.

11. Rochelle Day Smith says:

Davey Jones production pirates overwhelmed 3 1/2 year old grandson Theo…..he keeps mentioning to me, his grandma tRochelle to Please take him back to Walt Disney World….I tell Mr. Smarty Pants I’m waiting for MY ‘ship’ to come in…he asks why I can tSAILwith the “WAVEY BONES.” Hmph! Now that’s a thought!

12. Dawn M. says:

I’m a little behind on my podcast due to getting a new computer, and am just now listening to this episode. When you mentioned the bamboo thingy at the Japan Pavilion, my first thought was a ‘waterclock’. An elegant, yet primitive, way to keep track of the passage of time. I tried to find pics/videos of it, but failed, so this is just my theory and can’t confirm it.

13. Noah says:

How could you miss the Port Orleans Riverside fountain

14. Alex says:

My God man! How could you miss the fountain behind Spaceship Earth in EPCOT!!!

15. Susan says:

My first thought when I heard the topic was the water cannons on Splash Moutain.The other one was the misters outside of Jungle Cruise.