Listener Email and New Disney World Audio Tour Release

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #229 for the week of July 3, 2011.

I’ll kick off the show this week with the announcement of the latest release of my Audio Walking Tours of Walt Disney World, as we set off for the Wild West of Frontierland. I’ll tell you more about the latest in the series, including what’s new, a few changes, and how and where you can get it.

I’ll then open up the inbox to answer more of your listener emails, where you can   learn to enjoy and appreciate Walt Disney World even more with questions about kids clubs at the resorts, getting from here to there (and back again), working in Walt Disney World, recommended Disney books, Bay Lake Towers, Disneyland and more. We’ll also answer a few probative questions including one about the future of Walt Disney World that I want YOU to answer as well.

I’ll have a few announcements, including information about our charity auction, Disney Book Club, and our new Disney At Home series and contest. Then I’ll put you on the air and play some of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show!

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show:

Question for YOU: If you had to conceive of a fifth Walt Disney World park, what would be the theme and nature of the park? – Leave your answer in the Comments section below

Walt Disney World Audio Tour – Frontierland Now Available — Download or Pre-Order the CD from the WDW Radio store!

17 Responses to "Show # 229 – July 3, 2011"

1. I don’t think a fifth gate is something I want to see yet. They have a lot of room for expansion in the current parks and have a HUGE need in some of the parks. I think Hollywood Studios ( will always be MGM to me) needs an overhaul and expansions. The park has such great potential and besides a few headliners it leaves you flat. Animal kingdom is great but could use an expansion as could EPCOT, both have great quality but could be so much more.

2. I was the person who posed the question and I have an idea: a park that changes its historical theme once every 7-8 years (every generation). It would be a type of “History World” and begin with, for instance, Medieval times. It wouldn’t be so thrill-ride based, but more a working village with every detail accurate. A “Williamsburg” Disney style but with a changing theme. I would love that.

3. laurie bishop says:

fifth gate – be a disney camp……for adults , families and just children…I would love to go myself – can you imagine a camp of tomorrowland or world showcase

4. Jen Tremley says:

It would be a park for FL, that featured different rides from Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure, Tokyo Disneyland, & Tokyo DisneySea.

5. Mary Albright says:

I have to agree that I think a fifth gate is not needed. Expanding current offerings across the board would be a smart play on Disney’s part.

~ Animal Kingdom – as a fan of fantasy, any Beastly Kingdom components here would be fabulous and well received IMO.
    ~ Epcot ~ If there’s space for more in World Showcase, let’s make it happen. I’d love to see a redux of ToN or the creation of a new parade for Epcot.
    ~ DHS – Have to agree with Jacob that it’s always going to be MGM to me. But I digress…Becky talked about Pixar…there could definitely be more Pixar expansion here. Pixar could have its own land within the park. I also think that more live events, that are interactive, would be a huge hit here.
    ~ MK – Fantasyland is already happening.

6. Just bought all the Imagineering Guide books on Amazon and they have a buy 4 for the price of 3 deal so you get any four for only $30, pretty cool! Also, I didn’t see it advertised, the deal just showed up in my cart on checkout. Just FYI!

7. Lou is it possible to do a show or interview about Walt Disney Worlds after hours operation? I am very curious as to how things operate after the park is closed and how they get it back to “fresh” condition each day when sometimes they only have 6 or 7 hours to do the work.

I would like to know or see (video) of their maintenance crews/custodial crews work to get WDW back to receiving guest.

I think it would be great for you to do a live broadcast from the park after hours to follow a cleaning crew or maintenance crew around for the night and watch their work.

8. I know Disney does a scavenger hunt family tour. I think it would be awesome to have a larger scale pirate-themed treasure hunt. Things like sword fights or walking the plank involved in the adventure would make a great addition to the park.

9. Great minds think alike Lou. I just said to my husband that if WDW built a 5th park, it should be an “adventure park” with various tracks similar to the new Jungle trek. You could choose between Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Iron Man, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc, and personally experience the adventure of living these stories. However, after listening to the podcast I am left wondering, “why not expand the existing parks with these adventures?” Hollywood Studios seem especially well suited to this opportunity. It is an under utilized park in my opinion and has the potential space to host movie themed adventure experiences. Who wouldn’t want the chance to star in an adventure film? A Swash-buckler? A Pirate? A Circus Performer? A Gangster? An Astronaut? The ideas are endless!

10. For a fifth gate, I think a sports themed park would be fitting. Disney is all about dreams and making them come true and in today’s world, there are so many kids and teens with sports dreams, like “I want to grow up and play in the NBA, pros, etc.”. I know there’s Wide World, but I’m talking about a theme park featuring sports as well as athletes. There are just so many sports to use besides the main ones (basketball, football, baseball, etc.). There could be features of popular sports across the world (cricket, etc.) and there could be rides featuring former All-star, game changing athletes: Michael Jordan, Jackie Robinson etc.

11. Chip Angers Sr. says:

Lou, All the 5th gate ideas were interesting but heard Tokyo Sea. This park looks fantastic and as most of us will never be able to go(EastCoast). The u-tube film looks amazing with expanded 20,000. Leauges etc.

12. Hey everyone. I dont know if Lou or someone else posted the link to the video of the little girl and Darth Vader but here is the link.

thanks for mentioning it Lou. Worth the watch.

13. I have never posted to any web board before but I have to on this. For a fith gate I woul love to see a combo of sea world and Disney seas from toyko Disneyland. I would reAlly lik to see the studios expanded alot because to me it is a half day park and feel it has a lot of wasted space. Pixar would be a great addition but also take universal and disneyfy it an make it a grand movie park. Sea world is cool buy I think Disney could do it better. I was at a zoo latly and used the term this is almost Disney quality and would like to see more things expanded on and would also like some simple things like an old time boardwalk land somewhere. I think there is too much appeal to girls at the world and the west coast has some amazing things for boys.

14. REALLY don’t want a 5th theme park…PLEASE just expand on what we already have. Here are my “armchair IMAGINEERING” ideas:

MAGIC KINGDOM: does not really need anything immediately besides the FANTASYLAND expansion. That is enough…except a REIMAGINING of the JUNGLE CRUISE around the new movie with HANKS/ALLEN supposedly in the pipeline at the WDS.

EPCOT: desperately needs some work on WORLD SHOWCASE…we can only hope that the BRAZIL rumor is right on, that would be great, along with EGYPT which has long been rumored. Can you imagine a pyramid in the eyelines of WORLD SHOWCASE…that is goosebumps. FUTURE WORLD…I am okay with it at the moment, a little tweaking of things perhaps at INNOVENTIONS with new interactive things like KIM POSSIBLE would be great. AGREE that TAPESTRY OF NATIONS would add so much to the park.

ANIMAL KINGDOM: BEASTLY KINGDOM, enough said. And an AUSTRALIA area would really be amazing too. AUSTRALIA has long been rumored to be coming to World Showcase too, but would fit so much better in ANIMAL KINGDOM.

DHS: They really have alot of new there, not sure much is needed immediately–MONSTERS INC coaster if the next film is a success. I would change the INDIANA JONES STUNT SHOW, it desperately needs a retheming. AMERICAN IDOL could easily be switched to another “talent show” concept. BIG TIME DREAM….take LIGHTS MOTOR ACTION out of that huge stadium and replace it with a WIPEOUT themed attraction. THAT would be incredible, BIG BALLS at WDW.

That is my list of ideas. EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND, no 5th park. Not sure how to work MARVEL in, but I do not sway that direction, it was a good for DISNEY to buy, just not that into it yet.

15. Rick Doherty says:

I think a perfect fifth gate would be a park based on US landmarks (possibly called Disney’s Landmarks or Disney’s America) that would have replicas of well known landmarks and would be themed in such a way to give a cross country family vacation feel to it. They could replicate things like Mt Rushmore, Ol Faithful, Statue of Liberty and such. It would probably be a dream assignment for Imagineers to recreate these treasures and it would give families who cannot do a cross country trip a taste of what is out there. They could also tie in old disney cartoons (like “Ol Sequia” )and have exibits of Walt on vacation. I remember when I was a kid how I enjoyed those vacations with my family and I know that there is no replacement for the real thing but if anyone can pull it off it would be Disney.

16. matt browning says:

For a 5th gate, I would like to to not just a water park but and adventure park, It could be based on the popular show Wipeout. It would be awesome to get to try all the obstacles!

17. Ben Barlow says:

I would love to see the Adventurer’s Club come back on Discovery Island as the hub of a small, but ticketed “immersive jungle adventure.”