Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #231 for the week of July 17, 2011.

Walt Disney World is a multi-sensory environment, on which we as guests are not merely passive viewers, but active participants on a three dimensional stage. As part of the environmental experience, Disney has created details that help set that stage, and not all of them are meant to be seen. Instead, many are meant to be heard, and throughout the parks there are numerous hidden treasures in the form of audio tidbits. This week, we’ll look at, and help you discover, many of those overlooked audio treasures that create such an immersive, detailed atmosphere.

I’ll have a few announcements before playing some of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show:

Chuck Lionberger’s Disney Daddy blog

Question for YOU: What’s your favorite, hidden audio “treasure” in Walt Disney World? Tell us in the Comments below

Walt Disney World Audio Tour – Frontierland Now Available
Download or Pre-Order the CD from the WDW Radio store!

Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

6 Responses to "Show # 231 – Hidden Treasure of Walt Disney World – Audio Tidbits in the Parks"

1. Richard Mohla says:

The talking water fountain at EPCOT outside the Character spot on the way to the Land. Thanks for a great show ºoº

2. Mark Torrisi says:

Great episode. This is why I love your show. You highlight the things that put Disney above and beyond other resorts.

Thanks for reminding me about the Goofy sitting on the bench. I still have video of my wife sitting on the bench and being startled when Goofy starts “talking” to her.

3. Paul C says:

For other bygone sounds, what about those in Toontown? My favourite was Minnie’s answering machine.

4. Steven Kovach says:

The most amazing audio treat is at The American Adventure. If you are celebrating (birthday, anniversary, etc.) be sure to catch the eye of Lonnie or any of the wonderful castmembers at the entrance to the building. There is a good chance that you might have a phone call waiting for you in the entryway phone. My wife and I received a wonderful anniversary greeting from (forgive me) I don’t remember which character. Even if the cast members don’t initiate it, you can still enjoy the treat. I pointed out to a cast member that it was my nieces birthday and it turns out that Mickey had just called to wish her a special day. The look on her face was priceless!

5. Erika Richoux says:

Hi Lou! I just started listening to your shows last night, and I am hooked. I love your discussions on the details and hidden treasures of WDW. I also have an autographed copy of The Walt Disney World Trivia Book–fantastic.

One of my favorite audio experiences is in the Main Street Railroad station a few years ago: there is a large apparatus with various instruments in it and a placard that explains the name of it and the instruments that it contains. There is a slot to put a coin in, and while I was waiting for my family to meet me, I decided to drop a quarter in it, just to see if anything would happen. To my surprise, it came wonderfully to life—the interior lit up and charming music filled the station. People stared started staring at me, and some came to join me around it to enjoy this musical marvel. It played for what seemed like 5 minutes. After over a dozen trips to WDW, this is one of my top experiences there.
    This past May I dropped a quarter in, and nothing happened. I will try it again on my next trip 9/30-10/2/2011 for the 40th anniversary of WDW. Hope to see you there, Lou, and thanks for sharing your love and enthusiasm for WDW!

6. Chuck Zitta says:

Yeah, like the mine! mine! mine! seagulls. Get a kick out of the “Do Not Pull the Rope” gag in front of Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular; especially since it’s interactive. Honey I shrunk the kids play area: I think the dog nose makes a sniffing noise? My boys are much older now, so it’s been a while since we’ve been in that area of HWS. All the end of the queue sounds on the Mansion, just before getting on the doombuggy, I would say are pretty effective. Years ago, the ride stopped for a minute or so, and my oldest son (who was only 5 at that time) and I were waiting in that area for the queue line to start moving again. Well, the audio Disney pumps into that area got to him. To say the least, we had to take the chicken exit. I think he would have been fine it the line had not stopped moving. LOL!!! Thanks again for another terrific show, Lou and Chuck!!!