Listener Email

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #235 for the week of August 14, 2011.

I’ll open up the inbox to answer more of your Walt Disney World questions this week. Topics include getting from Walt Disney World to the Disney Cruise Line via Disney bus service, other names some famous Disney characters are known by around the world, Fantasyland construction timeline, an interesting question that I’ll ask you to weigh in on, Disney wedding music, Phineas and Ferb in the parks, dining on specialty cruises, Jellyrolls and much more.

I’ll have a few announcements before playing some of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show:

Question for YOU: What attraction would you update and how?

Walt Disney World Audio Tour – Frontierland Now Available
Download or Pre-Order the CD from the WDW Radio store!

Get the Latest Disney Updates Delivered to You Each Week!

16 Responses to "Show # 235 – August 14, 2011"

1. Brett says:

Heard the podcast and have a couple of ideas for new rides in old spots…

1.) In World Showcase in Morocco, a show could be added in the entire area, which could recreate the chase scene from Aladdin. This isnt exactly an overlay of an existing ride, but it uses a pre-existing space and incorporates a new attraction

2.) An easy switch could be an Tomorrowland Speedway overlay with Cars characters and destinations

3.) Great Movie Ride could be updated with new movies, or at least modern classics.

2. Heather says:

I think it would be super cool to use the Tower of Terror to fall through the rabbit hole in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland! That was the first thing I thought of when the re-purposing of a ride question came up. The Twilight Zone pre show room could become the room that Alice shrinks down in! I cannot believe that Disney has not tried to capitalize more on the hue box office that movie took in.

3. Michael B says:

A couple suggestions for the listener who wanted Disney Instrumental music.

1) A CD called Disney Instrumental Impressions. From a few years ago but not bad instrumentals. Slightly elevator musicy but I like it. Actually use it as a lullaby CD for my kids.

2) A little different but there’s Disney Adventures in Jazz which is exactly what it sounds like: classic Disney tunes done in Jazz and I love it. It is all instrumental. There’s a newer CD thats called Disney Jazz Vol 1: Everybody Wants to Be a Cat and it is good too but is Jazz with lyrics.

Hope these suggestions help. Have a great wedding!

4. Dave says:

Wow, what a find! You are doing a very informative and entertaining show. We are in Kapolei HI (Next to the new Disney hotel) and look forward to using our new DVC points in Florida :-). Love listening to your show for ideas

5. Kevin says:

For classical Disney music, try Bibbity Bobbity Bach or Heigh-Ho Mozart.

6. Walter H says:

Hey Lou and Becky,

Wonderful show. For updating;

1) I would update and or temporarily replace splash mountain with Brother Bear and/or Brave.
    2) I also think Brother Bear my be intresting to replace the Lion King show.

Heathers idea with Alice sounds very cool.

7. Jeanne says:

Enjoyed the podcast tremendously as always! I have a couple of suggestions for attractions to ‘re-purpose’.

I think it would be great to take Space Mountain and re-purpose it to a ride through Monster’s Inc. closet door storage area that Sully takes. I’ve always thought that the scene in the movie leads to a perfect roller coaster thrill ride in Disney.

In MK’s Adventureland, re-purposing the Jungle Cruise to incorporate the Jungle Book characters and storyline would be great. It would be so fun to see King Louie doing his dance somewhere in the ride.

And my most favorite movie of all, Wall-e, would be an perfect new 3d Movie in Epcot to replace Captain EO/Honey I Shrunk the Audience. It’s lesson of being ‘kind to our earth’ fits in with Epcot themeing wonderfully.

Thanks for doing some great podcasts and I look forward to the next edition!

8. Johnathan says:

Speaking of disney characters having different names in different countries the Italians love Mickey Mouse so much they named a car after him the Fiat Topolino.

9. Kristin says:

For the person looking for Disney wedding music- check out Jim Brickman’s Disney songbook c.d. Amazing pianist with a love for Disney. Really great interpretations.

10. Billwht3 says:

What attraction would I update? Well I just got back Aug 19th and after taking everyone to Mickey’s Philharmagic, which is my favorite 3d show, I would really like them to update the video as it looks like it’s recorded on VHS tape! (unless I got a really bad pair of 3d glasses *grin*

11. Deveney says:

What attraction would I update and how?
    Interesting question, If i were to update an attraction, I would update the que lines around Philharmagic , Peer Pan Magical Flight. The reason for that is that in that little area around there toward Liberty Square is ALWAYS congested. I have seen rows of strollers from those two attractions go as far out to the Prince Charming Carousel.

How would I update? I would remove some of or shorten the current round about que lines to supply a little hovel for strollers, it would resemble the stroller hovel they provide at Pirates of The Carribean.

12. Varsenik says:

I absolutely love the “temporary update” question! I’m a bit of an armchair Imagineer so I think about this a lot. FYI I’d originally thought about these as permanent updates.

1) Up-themed show in Epcot’s Imagination pavilion to replace Captain EO. I really love the idea of Muntz’ airship floating above the existing pyramids. A Meet the Robinsons-based show in that theater would also be great, and it fits very well with the inventor theme.
    2) The Princess and the Frog live show to replace Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I would love to see “Friends on the Other Side” done in the same black light style as “Under the Sea”.
    3) Pirates of the Caribbean pre-show for Backlot Studio Tour. Obviously that Pearl Harbor pre-show needs to be put out of its misery.

And since you bring it up, Phineas and Ferb could be a very cool replacement for the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure.

13. Paul C says:

For the 4 yr old looking for snacks on a cruise, I’d highly suggest the “Pirates and Pals” cruise. You get all snacked up in the contemporary, meet Cptn Hook and Snee, then see Wishes from a great water view.

For the cruisers, I would suggest NOT getting the bus from your resort to the cruise. They don’t pick up resort people until the afternoon, and you end up being last on the ship. It’s cheaper to get a towncar, and you can get to the ship earlier.

For the refurb of an attraction, how about turning the Tomorrowland Speedway into Tron Cycles?

14. Sara says:

I just wanted to add that as for instrumental music that would be great for a wedding Jim Brickman should be considered. He has a cd called The Disney Songbook which includes many beautiful instrumentals and a song (with words) called beautiful taht would be amazing for a wedding.

15. James says:

As soon as the topic came up I thought, wouldn’t it be great if Test Track was given a Cars refresh?

Obviously I’d love to see a full Radiator Springs come to WDW but an update of Test Track seems entirely practical.

I don’t particularly feel that TT needs changing (still one of my favourite attractions).

16. Mark says:

I’d love to see the Aerosmith coaster have a Monsters Inc overhaul. The ride could be themed to the ‘door chase” scene. As much as I love the ride, I’ve never thought that Aerosmith fit very well in the theme.