/ Monday, December 5th, 2011

The Muppets In Walt Disney World – A Look Back… and Forward

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #251 for the week of December 4, 2011.

With the popularity of the recents Muppets movie release, many of us are looking back fondly at our love of the Muppets growing up on TV and in film. But for Walt Disney World fans, the Muppets also had a presence in Disney’s Hollywood Studios in addition to MuppetVision 3D for many years. This week, we’ll hop aboard my Walt Disney World Wayback machine and look back at the marriage of Disney and the Muppets, The Muppets at Walt Disney World TV special, shows and attractions in the parks, what could have (and should have) been, and the future of the Muppets in the Disney Parks.

I’ll have the answers and winner of last week’s “Where in the World Have You Heard This?” Contest, a few announcements, and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show:

Question for YOU: Do you remember some of the original Muppet shows in Walt Disney World? Would you like to see the Muppets return to the Disney Parks? If so, what types of attractions would you like to see?

Ryan Wilson’s Main Street Gazette

RSS
Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

7 Responses to "Show # 251 – December 4, 2011"

1. Paul Perrin says:

Hi Lou
    You did not mention that Jim Henson last voice for Kermit was for Here Comes The Muppets. Every time I saw it everyone would cry when Kermit would sing Its not easy being green. I think the fish lady should swim over to the magic kingdom and bring here comes the muppets with the origenal sound track back to HS.

2. David Mullican says:

Hi Lou. I would love to see the Muppets restaurant you discussed once. My Mom and I are big Muppet fans and when I took her and my Dad to Walt Disney World in 2010 I told her how there was originally to have been the Muppets restaurant in Disney’s Hollywood Studios she said she would have loved eating there.

3. Chris Fox says:

Lou,
    At first I thought your proposition of the marriage between the Muppets and Star Wars was absurd. Neither are franchises that Disney originally owned and, to be honest, I’m not sure how I would feel about the results of said marriage. Then I realized that combining these two isn’t unprecedented.
    “Raiders of the Lost Jedi Temple of Doom” is a cross between two non-Disney franchises and as I thought about it more I remembered an old episode of “The Muppet Show” that featured actors and characters from Star Wars.
    So, I’ve decided that, though I still don’t know how I would feel about the results of a marriage like that, I can’t say it is as far fetched as I originally thought.

4. Anonymous says:

Not gonna happen, Paul Perrin.

They don’t want the Muppets appearing as full-bodied walk-around characters and they don’t want any Muppet attractions that would be too far away from Muppet-Vision.

5. Valerie says:

This was (as always) a fantastic podcast! Had to tell that we did LOL when we watched The Muppet Movie DVD my daughter received for Christmas. It had been so long since I’d watched the original Muppet Movie that I didn’t remember the Doc Hopper character. Your impersonation was spot-on! :D

Thanks for a fun podcast! Wish we could’ve experienced the Muppet land that you described and hoping for some more Muppet-mania in the parks in the future :)

6. Jeanette says:

I have the VHS vacation planning videos for the late 80s and very early 90s. Here come the muppets are featured for one year while they were also doing a live street show. the space is later used for the ninja turtles live show.

7. Susan says:

I think a Muppet star wars land.That would be awesome!!!!