Listener Questions – And a Question for You

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #254 for the week of December 25, 2011.

I’ll open up the inbox this week and answer more of your questions about your Walt Disney World vacation plans, history, tips, advice and more. Some of the topics we’ll cover this week include: the opening of the New Fantasyland, tips for adults in the Magic Kingdom, guests with special needs, a Tron attraction, a 4-day trip plan, tours for the entire family, some history and trivia about a themed restaurant that’s long been closed, and a question for you about bringing back some classic, extinct attractions

I’ll have a few announcements, including more information about WDW Radio events during next month’s Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, and then play more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show

Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show:

Question for YOU: What do you think about a Classic/Extinct Attraction Walt Disney World park?

Get the Latest Disney Updates Delivered to You Each Week!

8 Responses to "Show # 254 – December 25, 2011"

1. Jen Tremley says:

Lou

I remember Bonfamile’s at French Quarter as my family used to LOVE that place and eat at it often. Even if we weren’t staying at that resort, we would always drive over there for breakfast and/or dinner sometimes. We loved the breakfast specifically as they had a unique Southern offering there called Strawberries & Creme which was big lucious fresh strawberries that were cut in half, with a little container of heavy cream , and a small container of fresh brown sugar. You pour the brown sugar and the heavy cream over the strawberries and Oh My Goodness were they delicious!!!!! We really do miss that place!

2. Chuck Raeke says:

The Disney Classic Rides was a good idea, but I would suggest perhaps another idea. How about making a Disney Classics theme park and put it somewhere else other than Florida or California. Like Six Flags type mini park places though out the US. Maybe right in the middle of the country. That way the 2 main parks would not be competing against themselves with rides that people could find in the main parks, but giving people the opportunity to have a mini vacation to a Disney of the past, that is closer to home. Plus maybe the rides that never got made in the main parks mixed in to!!!

3. Keith Peters says:

I found the Horizons tribute. http://www.horizons1.com. It is interesting to see the ride again. As I remember it, the ride was a bit slow. Unfortunately like many things like this, the future sometimes plays out differently than we think. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were discussions on refreshing the ride or replacing it. In the end it comes down to how many people you can get though the turnstiles.

4. Andre Willey says:

Hey Lou & Beci, I just caught up with this episode, and you were talking about the old Bonfamille’s menu from POFQ. Don’t know if you ever managed to find one, but I’ve got one from 1995 on http://www.portorleans.org. You can see it via the Boatwright’s page, and the direct link is: http://www.portorleans.org/images/Bonfamilles%20Menu%201995.pdf

Andre

5. Scott says:

What about the other tribute to rides sites?

6. Jan says:

I’m WAY behind, but just caught this great episode. Here’s a link to a 20,000 Leagues tribute site: http://www.20kride.com/home.html. This was my very first ride on my very first trip to WDW, and I miss it terribly!

7. Mandee says:

I know this comment is pretty late but I have a comment on the Tron Attraction question. There was a temporarily themed “Tron Attraction” at Disneyland when they added the Game Grid projections to the WEDWay People Mover tunnel in 1982. This was obviously from the original Tron film and it no longer exists.

As for the extinct attractions park question, I would LOVE that! But I am definitely one of the nostalgic types. I agree, I don’t think that park would do well as the rides were removed for a reason in the first place. I do have another suggestion though. I think that before Disney retires an attraction, or does a major refurbishment that changes the ride completely (like the change from the original Imagination attraction), they should film the attraction. They would be able to do this in high definition where you could actually see the ride in its entirety (unlike many of the homemade ride films that are available on the internet). This attraction “ride through” could then be turned into collector DVDs and sold by Disney. This would provide people the opportunity to relive the ride in the best quality available while providing Disney with the ability to make money off the DVDs (they are a business). I know that there were people trying to sell ride through DVDs a while back and came into copyright issues, this would allow people to get these types of DVDs legally. It could also provide a nice ride archive for Disney, as they would have a recording of all of their rides that are no longer in existence.

8. Rachel says:

I’m responding late too, but I also remember the DisneyLand Tron area of the People Mover! That was my fav ride on my first trip, must have been around 1982. :)