/ Wednesday, January 18th, 2012

With the announcement that President Obama will be visiting Walt Disney World this week, we thought we would direct our Thumbs Up and Down toward issues related to the presidency.  While at this point, we don’t really know the details of his visit, we do know that wherever the president goes, so goes crowds and heightened security.   We don’t yet know IF there will be a change to Disney security on Thursday, though it stands to reason the Secret Service will be in full force!

This made me think about the security in place at Walt Disney World.  We wondered: how would you feel about Walt Disney World increasing their current, regular security procedures to include metal detectors?  Give us your thoughts with this weeks Thumbs Up/ Thumbs Down.

Please feel free to explain your vote in the comments section!

What do you think of this week's proposal?

• THUMBS DOWN! The lines are long enough, and I trust in Disney security. (66%, 100 Votes)
  • THUMBS UP! The safer the better--I don't mind waiting in a longer line. (34%, 51 Votes)

Total Voters: 151

Loading ... Loading ...

13 Responses to "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down: A Presidential Visit!"

1. Dave says:

I can understand increased security during a presidential visit, but on a day-to-day basis at the parks, it’s completely unnecessary. All it would do is add headaches where they aren’t needed. Between the uniformed and plain clothes security and general cast members, metal detectors won’t make you any safer. I’d say they would probably make things worse than they are now by creating larger, more irritated crowds at the gate.

If you’re worried that some sort of large-scale damage resulting from an attack could happen, it’s probably not coming through the front gate, and if there were some sort of small-arm attack by a group or individual, a metal detector probably won’t do anything helpful. Security and everyone else will probably be quite aware of what’s happening.

2. chococat34 says:

I think it is sad the president is using the Happiest Place on earth to promote his tourism plans. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it being an election year in a swing state? Nothing coincidental there. The biggest problem with his visit is that so many guests will be inconvenienced as a result.

3. JohnO says:

There’s no indication that increased security is needed at WDW. I’d agree that obviously precautions need to be taken and extra security required for a presidential visit, but not on a day to day basis. I think the bag searches are much more effective than a metal detector. TSA style screenings, metal detectors, body scanners……1984 comes to mind. We dont need a ‘police state’ at the ‘Happiest Place on Earth.’

4. Jeff says:

I go through metal detectors all the time and don’t understand the issues and complaints. Just don’t bring unnecessary things with you to the parks and you are fine.

5. Jeff says:

Increased security is one thing, shutting down Main Street for 5 hours is another. Totally unacceptable – especially on such short notice. I feel bad for all the people who are down there and now have to redo their plans…

6. Greg says:

I find the idea that the President needs to disrupt the vacation of thousands of hard working people for an “announcement” downright rude. Disney World is a very expensive, special and often a “one time” event to a vast many people.

7. Dave Dominie says:

First, why is he taking another vacation at our expense. Luckily he is going during an off-season.
    Second, he is putting hardships on the other people going during this time.
    If the head of state for the USSR couldn’t visit Disneyland because of security concerns, then why can the President visit Disney World?

8. Paul Cyopick says:

I can tell all you nay sayers have never been during other big events like marathon weekend. There are delays every time they have a special event, and this is no different.

As for not needing security at WDW, are you that naive? I was at a Blue Jay game where then Pres Bush was in attendance, and it took forever to get into the ball park. Yes, it is an inconvenience but its definately necessary.

9. Justin Eckstein says:

I think that Disney Security is fine at this point. I feel with the president coming into the world of course on that day its going to be heightened. But where I live there is a lesser known theme park has a very strict security with metal detectors. Some days if you head straight there and there is a decent crowd it can take close to 20 min just to enter. So I can only imagine the crowd that disney can bring in and how long the lines could be especially during the busy months

10. Fuskie says:

I look at it from a different perspective, as a Disney shareholder. This is golden publicity, well worth the cost to host the President.

11. Dave Dominie says:

This is definetly different than a marathon weekend or other event. This is for one man to get national attention for his political advantage.
    Even if he is using the excuse of promoting tourism, he is still using this as a vacation. He can promote tourism in NY this afternoon when he is there, or he could have promoted it from the White House.
    Even if you go to Disney on business, it is still a vacation. Just being there is better than being anywhere else.

12. Katie says:

You can plan to not be at Disney during big events because they are planned well in advance. This was not thus making all those who have planned their vacations for months now having to change their plans last minute. Most families spend a lot of time in the Magic Kingdom and I feel bad for those that had to change their plans for him to make a speech.

13. Paul C says:

It wasn’t a political speech, it was for promoting tourism. If he was in Orlando and this this in from of Hogsworth you’d be complaining now too. Vacation? How is a speech a vacation? Get your facts straight people.