/ Monday, February 27th, 2012

Top Ten Attraction Vehicles in Walt Disney World

Hello and welcome to The WDW Radio Show – Your Walt Disney World Information Station. I am your host, Lou Mongello, and this is show #263 for the week of February 26, 2012.

This week, we’re going to look at another Walt Disney World Top Ten, as we discuss our Top Ten Attraction Vehicles in the parks. Not the attractions themselves, but the actual ride vehicles, as in many cases, the it’s not necessarily where you go, but how you get there that makes an attraction truly special.

I’ll have more information about upcoming events including our One More Disney Day broadcast and the WDW Radio Day at the Ballpark, as well as a few other announcements before playing more of your voicemails at the end of the show. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio Show.

Thanks for listening!

Information and Links from This Week’s Show:

Question for YOU: What is your favorite Walt Disney World ride vehicle and why?

Get the Latest Disney Updates Delivered to You Each Week!

47 Responses to "Show # 263 – February 26, 2012"

1. superbird says:

YESSS i luv the top 10’s

2. Candra says:

Top 10’s are always a favorite! This will make Tuesday morning worth waking up and going to work at 7!

3. John says:

Woo! Top 10s are always my favorite shows, especially when they’re focused on attractions.

4. Tony E says:

The first ride vehicle that comes to mind is a Skyway bucket. How awesome would it be to have one of those gondolas in your living room?

5. Dave says:

If only because it’s an iconic image of The Magic Kingdom, I’d take a flying Dumbo car. It just says “Magic Kingdom” to me.

6. Mbond says:

Surprised there was no mention of the ride vehicles at TEST TRACK. Not necessarily my fav, but still……technology, on board screen, and one of the fastest rides in WDW.

7. Jo says:

I would love to own a Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin ride vehicle! I love the attraction plus the vehicle is so whimsical!

8. Shannon says:

I would want to have Mr Toad’s Wild Ride. It has been my favorite ride since I was a kid. This show was awesome.

9. Pooh for President says:

We love Carousel of Progress

10. 1_lil_SPARK says:

I would love to have the Skyway bucket as my transportation of choice. Just imagining the easy nice pace with the incredible view wherever I would go! (The only issue I think would be always making sure to leave on time since there seems to be no accelerator!)

11. John G says:

Which ride vehicle would I buy for our basement? My first thought was one of the Skyway buckets. Like the Peoplemover, it seated 4 who could face each other. Plus, I loved the view from both above and below as they swung into the “stations.”

12. Jeff says:

Spaceship earth cars(vehicle)
    That ride is cool I liked the older version thou

13. Kip Russell says:

Nothing captures my imagination more than a flying elephant.

14. Leah says:

I loved this episode! I agreed with all your choices (and predicted quite a few)! I’m so glad you said Ellen’s and the Great Movie ride because I always think its amazing how they work. Ellen’s is so huge and yet it moves so smoothly and silently — simply awesome! I was surprised though that you didn’t say Spaceship Earth with the photo and the whole ‘choose your own adventure’ kinda thing. I love seeing and hearing the reactions of people who are seeing it for the first time.

As for what could go in our living room…well, not many would fit, but I think I would take a carousel horse so it could feel at home back in NJ!

Great job as always, Lou & Tim! Thanks!

15. Lance says:

Great show on the top ten vehicles. I’d have to go with Test Track as one of my favorites in WDW for many reasons! What’s not to like? It is a car, that speeds up and down hills, tests its break system, and goes really fast! The speakers in the vehicle also make for a better ride, as if they are talking right there in front of you!

16. Brian B says:

This one is a little different.. BUT..
    How about the tram at MCO that takes you from the plane terminal to the main airport..
    I may be crazy, but to me its on that tram that I know I’ve arrived, and you start thinking about all the fun things to come!

17. Space Mountain Rocket best ride vehicle that used the Glow-in-the-dark color still the best of the best.

18. John says:

The vehical I’d like would be Mr. Toad’s car or Peter Pan’s ship. Driving into the train on Mr. Toad was an amazing experience. But my favorite ride ever is Peter Pan, so I don’t know how I could pass on buying that if I had the chance.

19. Zac says:

Without Question, a ride vehicle from Horizons. that ride will always be one of my favorite rides, the soundtrack, the scenes, the “choose your own ending”. I am so grateful that that me and my father got to enjoy all three endings of that attraction the last time we went before it was removed.

20. Maesie says:

I would take a Dumbo ride because for me that just embodies the magic of the World! :)

21. Doug says:

Enjoying the new episode on Leap Day but wondering… didn’t we do this episode a year or so ago ?

22. Lynne Palmisano says:

Hi Lou,
    You didn’t mention your friend in the NW with a Matterhorn bobsled in his living room – oh yeah, that’s Disneyland. But he also has a WDW Mr. Toad Ride vehicle…are you envious?

23. Lorraine says:

Definitely would have a Peter Pan “flying boat” set up in corner of livingroom with Neverland painted on the walls around. I have read all versions of plays and stories of Peter Pan by James Barrie. First vehicle I thought of when you started your top 10 list. Great “feel” when riding that I AM at a Disney Park! Thanks for all broadcasts!

24. I can’t believe there are no mentions of the Rock N Roller Coaster Limos! I love how each rider gets 5 (I think) speakers each, and you gotta love the license plates. So sharp looking too!

25. Casey Jo says:

I love the top 10 shows! My favorite attractions vehicle of all time is probably the Mr. Toad’s cars. When you are a kid and you can’t drive, it’s only too cool you can sit behind the wheel. As for my current vehicle I’d say Soarin. It’s only too cool you can feel like you are flying.

Thanks for another great show!

26. Thanks for making the day happy as we work on our show checklist for 2012 :-)

27. Brad says:

Terrific top ten, it got the beginning of my week off to a great start. This is a “stay with me”, but one of my favorite ride vehicles are the cars at the tomorrowland speedway. As a kid I can remember standing in line waiting to see what color of car I would get hoping beyond hope for the blue car. Ahhh great memories…Thanks Lou.

28. D.J. says:

I would take any of the buggies from Snow White’s Scary Adventures. I love the wood carving look of them and I’m going to miss that ride. It is also the very first ride I took my kids on. They were 2 and 4 and it scared the pants off of them. They were thinking…”This is what WDW is going to be like?” We went back to WDW last August and we all rode it again (the kids were 6 and 8 this time) and they loved it. I was sad when I stepped off of it for the last time but I’m looking forward to the new “mine ride”. Great show again Lou and Tim.

29. Maria says:

I have to go with Peter Pan :) It’s just so magical! <3

30. MstrFantastic says:

Doom Buggies & Time Rovers!

31. Bryan Fykes says:

How about the Monorails? I also miss the Mike Fink Keelboats, personally.

32. Jenn says:

LOVED this show! Where else can I get my WDW fix AND hear references to Back to the Future and Mystery Science Theater 3000 all in the same podcast? As for what I’d fit in the house…does the elevator from Tower of Terror count? It would make the transition from second floor to the laundry room in the basement a lot more fun.

33. sarah says:

I would love to have one of the teacups in my kitchen!!

34. Wes Snyder says:

The first time I rode the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland I thought “man, they need this at Disneyworld”.
    Whenever my wife and I are a little tired and want a nice break, we hop on the People Mover. Nice, easy-going, great views…

35. The top 10 shows are my absolute favorite!!!! I was surprised the Mad Tea Party tea cups weren’t mentioned in the podcast just for how they look! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have one of those and turn it into my kitchen eating area!!!

36. Kris Banas says:

I really have to say, that my favorite ride vehicle at WDW is the boats in Pirates. Not that it’s a technical transportation vehicle…however, it’s in my favorite attraction of all time. It holds a special place in my heart for 3 reasons. #1, it was the first attraction I went on during my first visit to WDW in 1976 as an 18 year old senior in high school on our class trip all the way from northwest Indiana. #2-I have 2 sons, and it was kind of “our ride” because it was so special to me the first time…and taking them on it, and pointing out all the pirate scenes in the attraction as we went along, and #3, going with my new husband in 2010 on his first trip since 1975. We went on Pirates 3 times that night!! Would love to have that “boat” in my back yard, so just go sit in, and remember the good feelings!! Loved the lists from you and Tim!!

37. Sarah says:

I loved this list!

As a family, our top list of ride vehicles:
    1) Tomorrowland Transit Authority
    2) Expedition Everest
    3) Spaceship Earth
    4) Carousel of Progress
    5) Dinosaur

Also, we had a few picks for ride vehicles we’d love to have in the house
    1) Mad Tea Party Tea Cup – fun to spin in as well as using it as a table for tea!
    2) Big Thunder Mountain Railroad car – a family favorite attraction
    3) Doom Buggy – just because =)

38. Chuck Munson says:

Great show (as usual), but one tiny, infintesimal point of objection which is totally unrelated to ride vehicles. When you were giving T. Bananas Foster your normally questionably positive intro, you mentioned that he was “Doofenschmertz to your Ferb”. I would contend that might have been better “to your Perry”.
    So glad you mentioned Jack Wagner. His sonorous voice was the voice of WDW for me from childhood. Still remember getting to see him at one of the Disney Disneyana Conventions at WDW in the 90’s.
    Peter Pan and Soarin’ have got to be my two favorite ride vehicles in spite of having an irrational fear of unenclosed heights, LOL.

39. Michael says:

I completely love the Tomorrowland Transit Authority WEDway PeopleMover. I would probably pick that one, the blue one. It continues to be a fantastic piece of Disney history and I have such great memories of that attraction.

40. Dave Dominie says:

The tram at MCO is only good arriving not departing. How about the ride vehicle at Mission Space. Love the Soarin ride.

41. Tara Renee Petar says:

What a great Top 10! I’d love to own a Doombuggy, it could so be turned into a seat with just some pillows.

42. Jenny B says:

I would pick the Doom Buggy, if I could have an optional audio input of the attraction. If not, I would want a People Mover, so I could stretch out my legs and relax!

43. Jason Noland says:

For a while at EPCOT there was Sega City in the Communicore (Innoventions) west. They had a 8 person Formula 1 racing arcade game called Virtua Racing. You sat in mini version of the racing cars that tilted as you raced the other opponents. Each player had their own big screen in front of the movable car that they viewed and a camera that faced them so you could see the peoples faces on 2 or 3 slightly smaller screens that sat atop the 8 big screens.

I would buy 8 of the Tomorrowland speedway vehicles and put them in place of the 8 Formula 1 racers. I would then change the game track and graphics to reflect something similar to the Walt Disney World Quest Magical Racing Tour PlayStation video game.

OK, people… I’m copyrighting that now.

44. Sarah says:

I get motion sickness too, and I love crazy rides. Tell him to take 1-2 chewable Bonine tablets and you won’t get sick.

45. Susan says:

I love the top 10.My favorite ride vehicle is the doom doom buggies.Or the hangliders from soairn.

46. Aaron Taylor says:

Hey Lou love the show, new listener so catching up. My favorite ride vehicle is the Tom Sawyer Island Rafts. I’m not really shocked that no one has mentioned these but they are awesome. Coming from a former Tom Sawyer Island cast member they are really cool. Real rafts, real motors, real drivers and no tracks or switches. Fun to ride and drive!

47. Isaac says:

I would put either a Pirates/Small World boat,a Space Mountain rocket,a PeterPans Flight pirate ship, or a Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover car. I can decide on one lol if I ever win the lottery in the future I may just get one of them,or all ;)