/ Friday, April 27th, 2012

by Jen Tremley

As a Disney fan, I am always on the look out for anything Disney. Some of the coolest things in my Disney Collection I have found outside of the parks and the Disney Store. This month’s Collector’s Corner will feature a few items that I have found at tag sales and at a store called Savers which is found up in Connecticut (Northeast Area).  Savers is like a Goodwill/Salvation Army type store that accepts donations from the local community and businesses and most (if not all) of the profits go back into the community by way of charities, etc. In the spring and summer time I love to go to tag sales in search of finding some Disney collectibles. Between finding things at Savers and from local tag sales, I have really been able to build my Disney collection. The product is always changing/turning over at places such as Savers so its always a new hunt to try and find those cool Disney items. Plus with tag sales you never know what kind of cool older Disney items you might just find. I have found old Disney hotel mugs, Disney records, etc at tag sales.  I used to never be a person who really was into tag sales until I started seeing Disney items pop up from time to time.

I’ve included pictures of a few things that I have found at either tag sales or at Savers. The Scottish Mickey & Minnie plush set I found at a local church tag sale right up the street from my house last summer and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were in excellent condition and still had the original older style Disney Store logo tags still on them. I personally had never seen these at the Disney Store and come to find out after looking them up on the Internet, I found this was a set/collection that the Disney Store featured where Mickey and Minnie were dressed in various international outfits.

The print of Mickey Mouse saluting the American Flag was found at Savers for the bargain price of $3.99! I have seen this print before, but was again pleasantly surprised to find that someone was getting rid of this and it could be mine for just a few dollars.

Lastly the pin set was also found at Savers and features four Disney Broadway Collectible pins. These were from the four Disney Broadway shows Mary Poppins, The Lion King, Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid. I personally haven’t had the pleasure of visiting Broadway in New York City to see some of these Disney shows, so I was shocked to find this pin set in the display case at Savers just waiting for a Disney collector to snatch it up! As a huge pin collector, I didn’t have these pins in my collection already, and I knew that I probably wouldn’t be able to find this set all together in the original box again, so I bought it.  I have it on display in my home office which has been dubbed the “Official Disney Room”.

So my fellow Disney collectors, you never know where you might find a unique Disney item or an item that you never have seen before, so get out there and start searching those local tag sales and local consignment/thrift type stores.   You never know what you might be able to add to your Disney collection!

I would love to get pictures or emails from people who want to share something they found at a tag sale or thrift type store that has become a part of their Disney collection, so please feel free to email me at jen4wdwradio@gmail.com.

Good luck & happy hunting!

Jen is an avid Disney fan and collector.  She pretty much eats, breathes, and sleeps Disney when she is not there. If she is not planning a trip to the World, she is reading about WDW, learning about the history of the Walt Disney Company and Walt,  listening to WDW music, as well being an avid Disney collector.

10 Responses to "Disney Collector’s Corner: Disney Collectibles in Unexpected Places!"

1. Jamie says:

Great additions to your collection Jen and at the best places too!!! You never know where Disney TREASURE will show up! I have found many a Disney toy for my DD5 or a plush for me at garage sales, thrift stores, and such!

2. I HAVE A WATCH COLLECTION .NEED TO NO WHAT IT IS WORTH . I HAVE TH E WOODEN TRAIN COLLECTION I HAVE THE COMPLETE TRAIN. THIS WAS ,A WATCH CLUB THE LAST TRAIN HAS DISNEY AN MICKEY , POCKET WATCH.

3. budbrowski says:

Hi. I have a 1991 Disney Special Edition Holiday Minnie doll in original box. Although the box is a bit worn, the doll has never been out of the box. I am interested in selling it. Any chance you can steer me in a good direction as to 1. How to determine it’s value and 2. How to go about selling it?? THANK YOU in advance ….. !!!! Bud

4. ezcoco says:

i have a pair of numbered, collectible limited edition WDCC Walt and Oswald states. I do not want them for myself or to store. i do not want to gift them. I want to sell them. I see various values placed on them. photos to verify, all certs, docs and even original box with paw stamp from shipper are included. couldnt find a buyer on eBay so now trying to think outside the box (LOL). I very much forward to hearing from anyone with an offer or suggestion for us. Bless, Jim

5. shelley says:

Jen,
    I have front entrance posters of the different lands from the early 60′s. these were not for sale. father had worked there and would get things that were being tossed out that he thought his girls might like or use. I’m gearing up to retire and need to sell somethings that others should enjoy. Have tried to find info on value etc and failed. could you help???

6. Celeste McMahon says:

I don’t know if you can help me, but maybe. I bought my daughter a set of Snow White and the Seven dwarfs hinged boxes with their pictures painted on the front. There are no marking that I could find and just was wondering where they came from or any information about them. I have taken pictures of them and can forward to you if you would like to help. Thanks so much and hope to hear from you.

7. kim shell says:

I have the LE Jiminy cricket on matchbox sericel. It is in the original mint green frame wirh silver authenticity seal in right lower corner. Any suggestions as to where i can find value and where to sell would be helpful. Thank you

8. Arlene Burch says:

I have Disney Storybook Ornaments , they are in their original shipping boxes and the ornaments themselves have not been taken out or handled. These come from Disney Direct. I am moving and I wish to sell, I have these sets : The Jungle Book, Beauty and The Beast, 101 Dalmatians, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, Mickey and Friends, Bandleader Mickey. I would love to sell them.

9. Sharon G says:

I found my Mattel Mickey Mouse Guitar in my mom’s old closet this weekend. I received it when I was 4 years old (have a picture of me with it)1950′s. Was wondering if you could lead me in the right direction of who could tell me what it is worth today? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

10. Perry p says:

I have a matted print of artwork i bought at the disney gallery at disneyland back in 94 of conception art of the pirates of the carribean. Done by Marc Davis. Well I had Mr. davis sign it before he passed away…..how much do you think that would be worth if io were to sell it?