/ Friday, July 13th, 2012

Christmas in July, it seems, is everywhere!!!  Earlier this week, I wandered into one of my favorite stores (after the Disney Store, of course): Hallmark.  I love their selection of Disney merchandise and was delighted to discover their Disney holiday ornaments were on display…. and there are a lot of them!!  The gallery below showcases many–though not all!–of the ones you can see.

My children and I easily spent fifteen minutes looking at them all, playing the ones that moved and (I am sure much to the Hallmark employee’s “delight”), playing the musical ones over and over and over.  One of my daughters started commenting on “if I could make my OWN Disney ornament….” and we all started discussing what we would love to see in Disney ornaments…  thus, this week’s Wanna-be Imagineer topic was born.

We want to know:  if YOU could design your OWN Disney Christmas ornament, what would it look like?  The sky is the limit!  It can move, make noise, light up….  You can cross characters from different movies or attractions–or make one to represent WDW Radio!

Personally, I would love it if Disney were to start making attraction-specific ornaments.  Maybe just a couple ornaments each year, never to be released again–that would increase the desire to have the whole series!  Imagine how fun it would be to have a Haunted Mansion ornament that had a little button and played “There’s no turning back now!!!!”  How about a Jungle Cruise ornament that had a button that repeated three of the best Jungle Cruise puns ever.  YOU could decide which 3 puns you wanted by selecting from an assortment offered online.  I’d love a Tower of Terror ornament where you could move the car from the bottom to the top and back again using a little crank!  Finally, how about an ornament that featured an electronic countdown to your next Disney vacation? Oh, I love being a Wanna-be Imagineer!

So, let’s hear your ideas!  Post them in the comments below.  One day, one of us WILL make it out of the realm of “wanna-be” Imagineers!  I know it!!

Have a great week, everyone!

**If you head to your local Hallmark Store this weekend, you can enjoy their ornament premiere.   There is a special, five-piece, Fab Five Disney series this year called “Ready! Set! Snow!”  Each ornament representing of the Fab Five will be released a different month.  The first two (Mickey and Pluto) will be available for purchase at this weekend’s ornament event, with the remaining ones being released in September (Donald Duck), October (Goofy), and November (Minnie Mouse).

8 Responses to "Wanna-be Imagineers: Re-imagine Your OWN Disney Hallmark Ornament!"

1. Lindsey Davis says:

I LOVE any ornament based on an actual Disney park Attraction. I have the Halmark “It’s a Small World” wind up one and the Pirate’s scene with the inmates and the dog with the keys. I’d love to see a Doom Buggy with Hitch Hiking ghosts and log flume from Splash Mountain, with Brer Bear, Rabbit, and Fox of course! I’d also love to see family ones all wearing mouse ears. Oh, it would be so exciting to create my own ornament. Our family entire tree has exclusively Disney ornaments.

2. Makena (MakAttack98) says:

I would love to see an Oswald themed ornament. Even though I love the duo that is Mickey and Oswald, but I want to see Oswald alone. Just a simple one like that would be great

And then a WDW Radio ornament can be the gang that was there at the Five Hour Show (Lou, Christy, Beci, Scott, Tony and Glennn) on a Magic Carpet. Tony is in the front and when you hit the button on the bottom of the ornament you hear Tony singing “A Whole New World” and his lips move to the music. I would buy that in a heartbeat!

3. Patrick says:

Picture a series of ornaments with the fab five. They are individual pieces but communicate to each other wirelessly so that when you hit play on any one of them, they sing carols (i.e. “Joy to the World!”) in harmony from each of their spots on the tree. Each ornament sings in its own voice and lights up when it sings. Much like a real group of carolers, not all would sing at the same time and some would be melody and some would be harmony.

It would be beautiful and sound really neat depending on where you put each one in the tree. And because they would be wireless (unlike a string of lights) they could be put in any combination anywhere on the tree.

4. WDW Radio Running Team "Coach" Happy says:

My ornament would be encircle the entire Christmas Tree, and would consist of all of the floats from the Main Street Electrical Parade.

The ornament would play the Baroque Hoedown music (along with all of the float specific variations) as it “marches” around the tree.

I envision that it would take as long for the entire ornament stream to travel around the tree as it takes the Main Street Electrical Parade to travel past a single spot (about 25 minutes).

Not very “Christmas”-y, but very “Disney”!

5. Fran C. says:

My design would be the Stretching Portrait of the Umbrella Girl from the Haunted Mansion. The ornament’s picture would slowly move up to reveal the alligator, then down again. A little bit like the Olszewski. And like Hallmark, we could do a Haunted Mansion series, with next year’s ornament being one of the Dancing Couples in the Ballroom Scene. They would blink on and off in a slow fade, like on the ride.

p.s. Coach “Happy” totally has the right idea! I love the thought of a lighted garland of the floats from the Main Street Electrical Parade.

6. Stan AKA stansolo40 says:

The ornaments that Patrick is talking about I already own. Only it’s the fab four (no Minnie) and they are in cuckoo clocks with moving pendulums when each one “sings” they open the door to the clock and stick thier head out and sings. Their is about 15 different song. I had it for about 17 years now and it’s not wireless but the wires that connect them are quite long. They are very cute and well detailed.

I think atraction ornaments would be cool and can’t wait for Lou to make the WDW Radio ornaments ;)

7. Tony E says:

I would love to see a TTA ornament that was the ride vertical and when you pushed a button it said “Paging Mr. Morrow. Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring.

8. Aussie-lad says:

My whole idea is very similar to that of “WDW Radio Running Team “Coach” Happy”‘s comment in as much as my ‘ornament’ would be a mid-tree circling ‘train-set’ type of ornament. That is, a track that is mounted some-way up the tree; usually chest level or so. Along this track can travel parade floats as per the above comment or alternatively, the WDW Rail Road train from the Magic Kingdom ot the WDW Monorail.

Able to be attached to the track but not in a way as to impede the motion of whatever is moving along the track could be any number of ‘scenes’ from your favourite parks or movies. You could customise it to your own tastes. The scenes could be sold separately or in packs themed to a certain movie, park or attraction.

The selected motion vehicle would light up and the whole thing would play a number of tunes based again upon that which you choose. My personal preference in keeping with the whole Christmas theme would be the music played during Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

Way cool!!