/ Thursday, August 16th, 2012

by Fran Cassano

Hi Everyone! We are many weeks into Practically Perfect DISNEY Crafting and there are a number of new and wonderful crafting opportunities to be had throughout WDWRadio.com. By now you see how easy Disney crafting really is. So, I encourage all of you to join in the fun and participate in the contests that Christy and Lou are inspiring us to create submissions for.

With this in mind, I am changing gears a little bit with our Disney crafting this week. I think this is a great opportunity to show you a technique that is going to come in handy from here on out…How to download free Disney themed fonts and use them in your crafting projects.

Please do not worry about using Disney fonts for your designs. They will not breach copyright if they will be solely for personal use.

I discovered working with Disney themed fonts around the time we began planning our wedding. Back then, I found the perfect site to download free fonts of all types~dafont.com. I had a great time coming up with custom, Disney themed stationery. I knew I was going to carry this technique over to my other Disney crafting projects, and I have.

Now, I can’t wait for you to try it. So, let’s get started together!

dafont.com has a large number of Disney themed fonts, such as:

• Alice in Wonderland (the Tim Burton film)
  • Bradley Gratis (like Fantasyland or Epcot’s European Pavilions)
  • Florida Project Phase One (Epcot Future World and the original Walt Disney World logo)
  • Mickey (Mickey cartoons and Disney California Adventure)
  • Minnie (a solid version of the Mickey font)
  • Mouse Tags (a non-letter font of retro Disney Parks graphics and logos)
  • Pieces of Eight (the Pirates of the Caribbean films)
  • Ravenscroft (The Haunted Mansion)
  • Tr2n (Tron Legacy and Tron Uprising)
  • Tron (a solid version of the Tron fonts)
  • Waltograph (the familiar, stylized version of Walt Disney’s autograph)

How to safely download the fonts to MS Word:

1. Go to dafont.com
  2. Using the search box on the upper right of the site, search the fonts listed above (or browse for other non-Disney fonts you might like)
  3. When you find the font you like, such as the Waltograph example here, click Download, then open the Zip file. Unzip the file to your desktop.
  4. Let’s say you also unzipped Florida Project Phase One like shown, open the font file and click Install. This will install it right into MS Word.
  5. Go into Word and use the Font pull down menu to locate your downloaded font(s).
  6. If you happen to have a Mac, please follow the directions to download at dafont.com.

Using Disney themed fonts and symbols for your crafting projects:

1. In MS Word, find your font of choice in the Font pull down menu.
  2. Type whatever you want to write for your project. In my example, this is how I created the lettering for the Cars Land layout I did of Lou and Beci several weeks ago. I enlarged the font point and printed the wording out on card stock, then I cut out, arranged, and affixed the letters onto my project.
  3. Many of these Disney themed fonts have coordinating symbols that add such a fun element to your crafting.
  4. To use the symbols function, click the Insert tab in Word, then click Symbols all the way to the right of the screen. A window will pop up and then select your symbol of choice. Here, I inserted all the Ravenscroft symbols before I decided which I wanted. Enlarge the symbol as you would your font of choice and incorporate it into your project.
  5. I provided a graphic of examples of what the above fonts and accompanying symbols look like.

Once you have downloaded your favorite Disney themed fonts, here are some project ideas for you to get started:

• Using Disney themed fonts is a great way to get “PINspired” for your submissions to the WDW Radio PINspiring Disney—Disney Pinterest Contests.
  • Use these Disney themed fonts, like it suggests, for your Cruise Cabin Door Decorating Contest submission for this November’s WDW Radio Cruise on the Disney Dream.
  • How about taking the Tiki from Disney’s Polynesian Resort in Mouse Tags and make a votive candle wrap or the Servants Quarters Bat in Ravenscroft and make a witty door sign? The Disney font-based symbol possibilities are endless.
  • Consider taking a larger version of your symbol of choice to act as a template for a layering piece. This can to add dimension to your projects. Cut this “shadow” out of card stock. Then add the slightly smaller symbol, itself, on top to create a custom embellishment.
  • As you can see, I often use Disney themed fonts printed on card stock as an alternative to using store bought sticker or chipboard letters.
  • Try to experiment with different color schemes and shapes of Disney fonts on your digital projects.

For reference, here are links to previous Practically Perfect DISNEY Crafting projects where I used Disney themed fonts downloaded from dafont.com:

I am so excited to see what you all come up with!

Enjoy your day and craft away!

Fran’s Notes:

~I keep my downloaded font files in a special crafting folder for reference, but this is not necessary. Once they are downloaded, you can discard the font files. When needed, you can manage your fonts under your computer’s Control Panel (recommended for advanced desktop users or parents only).

~I make the disclaimer that the above are my own tips and in following them, you may be subject to various Internet terms of usage. I am not soliciting or representing anything for dafont.com, but rather, giving you a technique how-to. When downloading from any site, please proceed with your normal caution. As always and where applicable, read through all the terms of use, third party policies and do not feel pressure to download anything you are unsure of.

Like so many of us, Fran Cassano’s life is sprinkled with Mickeys. From collecting Park brochures as a child, to creating ideas for her own Disney Fairy Tale Wedding, paper crafts have kept the magic of Disney a part of her everyday life. Fran invites us capture our own memories through Practically Perfect DISNEY Crafting… Break out the tools that have been gathering dust. And let’s figure out how, together!

13 Responses to "Practically Perfect DISNEY Techniques: Disney Themed Fonts 101"

1. 'Coach' Happy says:

I use the Waltograph font for placing my name on my WDW Radio Running Team jersey!

Great stuff, Fran!!!

Hap-Font!

Happy Keller
    WDW Radio Running Team ‘Coach’

2. Fran Cassano (aka Fran C.) says:

Hi Coach Happy,

Nice to “see” you here!

What an AWESOME way to use a Disney font! Thank you so much for sharing this, because I’m sure readers would love to incorporate this idea too.

: ) Fran Cassano

3. I LOVE this! I always use my “waltograph” font for things, but NEVER thought about getting fonts more specific to the movies and themes of Disney! I’m totally downloading all of these!

4. Love this website. But when I tried to find the Ravenscroft font it came up with no results. Should I have typed something other than Ravenscroft to find it?

5. Fran Cassano says:

Hi Lyn,

Thank you for this feedback. Another reader also had the same issue. After you hit the Install button on the download, then go into Word. Click the fonts pull down and go all the way down to Rs and then go in ABC order for Ravenscroft. Ravenscroft reads super, super tiny on certain versions of Word. Click the one that is super tiny and hopefully you will find that to be Ravenscroft. Another font that looks odd in the pull down is Mouse Tags…That one will be under Ms in ABC order and it just be a bunch of tiny logos in a line. One my version of Word (2007), they do not look like this. Sorry if this delayed any of your crafting. If you continue to have difficulty, please contact us and they will forward the message to me and I’ll be sure to get you squared away.

Thanks, Lyn (and everyone),
    Fran

6. Fran Cassano says:

~UPDATE TO MY BLOG POST~

Hi Everyone,

I just posted a tip for how to find your fonts once you’ve downloaded them to Word. However, Lyn brought something to my attention in her above response that I should share with all of you. Unfortunately, Ravenscroft is no longer available on dafont.com. This must have happened very recently.

Before I submit my blog posts to WDW Radio, I make sure all my links are in working order. All the other fonts I mentioned in my blog post are still available.

I do not know why they are no longer offering Ravenscroft on their site. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I think you may have luck finding the font on another free site if you Google or Bing it. However, I cannot personally vouch for any font site outside of dafont, Mickey Avenue (which you pay for per use) or what’s called Fonts 500 (which are non-Disney fonts). If you do decide to download from a link you find, follow that site’s instructions. As always and where applicable, read through all the terms of use, third party policies and do not feel pressure to download anything you are unsure of.

Thank you and Keep Crafting Away!
    : ) Fran

7. Thanks Fran for the directions. I’ve tried before to downlowd “Waltograph” but couldn’t get it to work. Love all your ideas! Keep up the great work!

8. Thank you SO much for this! I’m excited to get the Waltograph and the Pieces of Eight ones. But Bradley Gratis and Florida Project Phase One are gone :( You may want to go through this and update what’s still available.

9. Disney lover says:

I have been looking for the disney font where all the letters are made to look like the characters…like D is dressed like Micky and the Y looks like tigger…
    I have also seen a font that was the princesses…the P of princess looked like Arora and the last S looked like Jasmine…
    Can anyone help me? I want to buy them for embroidery fonts!
    Thanks!

10. Fran Cassano says:

Hi Everyone,

I thought it was time to post an additional update to the information on this post. As of today, January 11, 2013, the only fonts not available above are Bradley Gratis and Ravenscroft. I have found that when working on projects, especially with digital downloads, to grab and save those things as soon as I see them. Periodically, dafont removes their fonts, but the returns them after a time, so just keep alerting us if you can’t find any link I’ve provided on any of my posts.

Thank you all so much and keep crafting away!
    : ) Fran

11. Fran Cassano says:

Hi Disney lover,

I found a free version of what you are looking for, in pieces:

And here are numbers, if you ever needed them:

If these are not exactly what you had in mind, you can Google or Bing “Disney Character Fonts” or “Disney Character Signatures”.

Thank you! I had fun looking for these for you. And hopefully these links will help our other readers, too! Remember, grab them while they are available.

Happy Crafting,
    : ) Fran

(with thanks to Spoonful)

12. Fran Cassano says:

Update July 17, 2013:

There are some new Disney-style fonts since this original post and the Bradley Gratis font is available again. And while Ravenscroft is not, the Haunted Mouse font comes pretty close. Get these fonts while you can :)

13. Hi, I wonder if you might be able to help me with a query. I am planning on sending Mickey & Minnie an invite to my wedding as I have heard they send a signed photo back, but I would like to use the Waltograph font on my invites. Do you think it would be safe to send an invite with that font and not get into trouble with Disney them self? Thanks!
    Danielle.