by Yaelle Sajkowicz
One thing that Disney has proven over and over again is that the magic it provides to its fans is unlimited. From the parks to the stores, restaurants, movies, Broadway shows and more, there’s magic somewhere at every turn. And for 2013, Disney Parks has decided to add some extra special surprises with their new Limited Time Magic initiative to plus the already unlimited fun.
Disney kicked off Limited Time Magic with a delightful display of magic that was decidedly on limited time of its own – a 25 foot ice castle sculpture in the middle of Manhattan right across from, their flagship Times Square store. That’s right, when Disney does anything they put their full weight behind it, and in this case that meant 45,000 pounds of ice for the castle and even more for ice sculpture vignettes of from the parks (a child donning mouse ears, a family taking a portrait, a balloon vendor, and more).
Cast members were on hand, decked out in new Fantasyland costumes, and Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Cinderella and Merida took part in photo ops with guests. Of course, there were also plenty of commemorative Ltd. Time Magic Mickey ears being handed out. And the whole event was set to the tune of Disney songs performed live by an a cappella group. All in all, it was a wonderful way to start the day.
So what exactly is Limited Time Magic?
It is 52 week long events that are being added to the mix of fun in Disney Parks during 2013, some linked to real holidays such as Valentine’s Day and the 4th of July, and others that are created from pure imagination. Not all of the surprises have been revealed yet but here are some highlights of the ones that have been announced:
- True Love: To celebrate Valentine’s Day week, the Disney Land and Disney World castles will be lit in pink and red hues, Disney Princes & Princesses will hold meet and greets in special settings, special collectibles will be available and prix fixe menus will be featured in select restaurants.
- Independence Week: For the 4th of July, Mickey will be dressed in his patriotic finest, the Disney Land and Disney World castles will have special patriotic lighting and there will be special shirts, ears & other limited collectibles available.
- Long Lost Friend Week: Probably one of the more popular themes – where rare characters from the Disney family come back for a visit and take time out for special meet & greets with their friends and fans. And the best part – guests will be able to vote online for which characters they most hope to meet!
- Pirate Week – Aargh, for this one, the land lubbers will get pirates, pirates and more pirates in Disney Land and Disney World, from pirate bands, to pirate meet & greets and more.
- Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands: Fans of the Dans will get to enjoy them adding to their regular repertoire with a medley of hits from One Direction, NSYNC & The Backstreet Boys.
- Unleash the Villains: Commemorating the sinister date of Friday the 13th, Disneyland and Hollywood Studios are staying open till the 13h hour (1 AM) on September 13, 2013. Disney villains host a dance party and special collectibles will be sold.
- Golden Horseshoe Review: It’s back for just a limited time – the Frontierland show will return to Disneyland for one month only.
And there’s plenty more Limited Time Magic that is yet to be unveiled so stay tuned to WDW Radio for the scoop on all the surprises that Disney Parks has in store for you in 2013.
Which of these LTM events are you most looking forward to enjoying? And what events would you like to see Disney feature for LTM 2013?