/ Friday, April 26th, 2013

mikeYesterday, Disney Parks announced that, as part of their Monstrous Summer line-up, there would be “All Nighter” parties planned at Disney Parks on both coasts on May 24.  The Magic Kingdom will be open from 6am May 24 until 6am May 25, making for some MONSTROUS Imagineering opportunities!

According to the official announcement from Disney Parks, there are already plans in place for this special occasion: “Mike and Sulley will take a break from collegiate life and their Scare studies at Monsters University to host the All-Nighter, dropping in to scare up some school spirit. Guests will scream and giggle with delight at the lineup of thrills and entertainment that promises to make this a day and night to be remembered for a lifetime.  In Florida, the Magic Kingdom will feature a Monsters University theme where Mike and Sulley will be the Grand Marshals of the ‘Celebrate a Dream Come True’ day parade – complete with pomp and circumstance – and make appearances in Tomorrowland. Guests also will find extra entertainment throughout the day and night, including characters in their pajamas in Town Square during the late night and early morning, and late-night dance parties in and around the courtyard of Cinderella Castle.”

But there must be more……. If YOU were part of Imagineering this event, what activities, shows, or experiences would YOU want to incorporate into the day?  How could we make this a celebration of Monsters Inc. as well as the college experience?  Post your frightfully great ideas in the comments below.  And if you plan to be there, let us know! We’d love a fight-hand report!

10 Responses to "Wanna-be Imagineers: Let’s Plan the All-Nighter!"

1. I will definitely be there! This is so exciting!

2. Anthony Yamarino says:

Unfortunately, I’ll JUST miss it. I’m heading in May 1st-10th. However,I was there during the One More Disney Day celebration and even got to meet Lou! A couple ideas I have would be to include an hourly event. At the top of each hour, an exclusive event or reward should take place. For example, when the clock reaches 7am, a specific T-shirt goes on sale for that hour. That T-shirt could be a specific character from the Monster’s University cast. Or perhaps a special pin or even SOTMK card. I just feel an hourly event would help to keep guests entertained throughout the entire day. Maybe even a 24 hour quest where you have to search the park for clues and the next part of the Monster’s storyline. If you participate in all 24 hours, you get a special reward. Just thinking off the top of my head.. Usually I have more time to think, haha. And during each hour, a special snack goes on sale!I know Lou would agree!:) Hope to see you down there next week!

3. Lorraine knepple says:

I will be there. Flights booked yesterday!

4. Christy Viszoki says:

Anthony! I love your ideas. I think the idea of different merchandise or pins would be fantastic fun–and can you imagine the monster-themed snacks they could create? I can totally see a Mike Wazowski cupcake, with a big gummy eye staring out from the glass display case! Thanks for Imagineering with us!! :)

5. Anthony Yamarino says:

Yes!!! A Mike Wazowski cupcakes sounds absolutely phenomenal. And hopefully I’ll run into you guys soon! Going May 1st-10th from Michigan! Can’t wait!!!

6. Kim Sinclair says:

We will be there. It is the last day of our vacation and we are leaving on Saturday morning. We are planning on partying, riding attractions and of course eating until out 7 and 5 year olds drop.

7. My bags are packed ,reservation complete and my pillow pet is waiting to go .

8. WesTheTallGuy says:

I definitely think there should be hourly specials, some could be food items (a green candied apple that looks like Mike?), others could be pins, clothing items, character meet and greets, etc.

Having pins every hour sounds neat, but then people would have a really hard time riding rides, they’d just be stationed at the stores for 24 hours. Spreading them out would allow people the opportunity to leave and come back.

If you’re celebrating Monsters University, there should definitely be a school marching band made up of the many characters from the film.

A scavenger hunt with clues coming out every hour would be really neat, especially if the clues required you to ride certain rides or go to certain places. Anyone that participates for the entire 24 hours would win something, and anyone that completes it would get something special in addition to it.

One final thought… I think it would be a fun item if they sold a clock that had 24 hours on it, instead of 12 (it could be a classic Mickey clock, or anything else). You could take it home, and every day could be a Disney day, and remind you of the time that you spent at the park.

9. I’ll be there! I’d like to see a little more really late night activity than WDW did for 1 more Disney Day. I was at your live podcast—are you going to do another one?

10. Isabel Martin says:

I’m so sad that I’m barely going to miss this! We’re going to both Universal Studios and WDW from May 23-30. And guess what? I’m going to be at Universal on the 24th! I can’t believe it! D:

Ah well, I hope everyone who goes has fun! And what would be cool to ME is if Mike and Sully came on the Epcot globe (or other screens for the other parks) every hour and talked to everyone for a bit. I love the idea of special items so it would be awesome if they could tell everyone what was for sale at the moment. And of course, Disney being Disney, they could incorporate some humor. Imagine Mike eating a Mike Wazowski cupcake…. But I laugh at everything, so ignore that.