/ Thursday, May 30th, 2013

Topics in this week’s Disney news include:

– Disney’s My MagicBands and MyMagic+
– Technology in the Disney Parks
– And more!

QUESTION OF THE WEEK – What do you think about the new MagicBands? Will you wear one? What are you most excited about? Tell us about your experience in the Comments!

Thanks for watching! Be sure to tune in next week!

– Lou Mongello

24 Responses to "WDW Radio Disney News LIVE – May 29, 2013 – Disney’s MagicBands and MyMagic+"

1. purplecc89 says:

Love the idea of being able to customize the bands and possibly add fastpasses before we even get there!

2. aTimeAsThis says:

I do believe Lou is slimming down. Nice sideburns! This whole band thing leaves me saying, “Hmmm.” While at first glance, the thought of prebooking fast passes, parade seating, etc. doesn’t sit we’ll with me, it’s definitely something I’d have to use firsthand to assess it honestly.

3. Darienbeagle says:

What time did the actual podcast actually start on Wednesday?

4. Darienbeagle says:

WDW used to reserve a fixed number of restaurant tables for “day guests.” Not sure if that is still the case.

5. swarlock says:

Don’t slim down too much, Lou. Seeing you in that recent hospital picture had me worried a bit.

6. BbwJessie says:

I like the band idea because I H8 carrying around multi pieces of paper and worrying about losing things or missing items. Thanks for sharing & Im a FL resident.

7. David Thacker says:

Its still so hard to walk up and eat. That is something that has hurt or Park experience.

8. Krissy Vigs says:

I am loving the idea of the bands! And yes, absolutely I would personalize it (hint:I am a graphic designer!) I love the fact that we can add our personal info to enhance the Disney experience. The only thing I am not sure about is…will all this planning cancel the spontaneitey of the experience? I am a huge planner! I love researching and planning months in advance. It is part of my Disney experience! We are going to WDW this summer, and I am excited to see how smoothly it runs. Maybe by then, I will be more comfortable as I hear about other guests experiences!

9. hiemenzk says:

Is it water proof??

10. Mark says:

How will tickets be put on to the bands? Do you have to buy the tickets from disney?

11. MousePlanning says:

Thanks for posting these recordings. I can rarely make the live broadcasts and it’s great that I don’t have to miss out on the info each week.

12. ddc163264 says:

Was surprised to see a posting on youtube. it’s been a month since the last post. Thought it went away.

13. Ray says:

I like the band idea…though that willbe inconvenient for getting Fastpasses for attractions that you don’t reserve. Which brings me to my biggest negative about MyMagic+….I’m a planner but I don’t even want to be thinking about which FP attractions I want to ride at a particular time on a particular day. People already gripe that in order to get an ADR you have to plan 6 months in advance. The death of spontinaity at WDW is alarming. While I like the personalization for character interactions…I could care less about personalizing attraction experiences. I think it actually cheapens the overall experience.

I would never use the band for charging…I’ve never used my room key for charging either. I’ll continue to use my own bank cc.

I still have concerns about how this is going to affect my vacation experience. Privacy concerns I’m okay with…but I don’t see opting into a lot of what they’re offering.

I still think the biggest reason Disney wants to do this has nothing to do with what Stags said…it has to do with tracking traffic flow and maximizing merchandise sales.

14. Ray says:

I don’t intend to be Debbie Downer here…and I’m willing to give it a try. Like I mentioned, I have concerns & if I’m wrong then I’m wrong.

15. Brian says:

I doubt the ride customization stuff will work all that well. If you have a Small World boat with half the people with customized dolls programmed, how many doll units are you going to need to show everyone their doll? I don’t want customized stuff to take away from the main show. I’d rather leave the Imagineering to the Imagineers. I don’t want to see anyone else’s designs while I’m riding.

16. Nicole Dreibelbeis says:

I look forward to trying them out! Definitely will be fun to customize them! It sounds like there will be more opportunities similar to designing your own car on test track, which is cool, and I already love how much Keys to the world cards simplify things, so having the fast passes and photo passes integrated as well will be even better!

17. Ray says:

Hmmm….that might actually get me to use PhotoPass more….uh…maybe not…their photographers aren’t that good. LOL

I still have concerns about increased inconvenience for getting FP’s that you don’t reserve. While I do like not having a bunch of FP’s in my pocket…I did like having everyone’s ticket in my hand to get FP’s. Having a bunch of wristbands seems less convenient.

18. MrGoldrush81 says:

Have you heard Anything about the Disney Ticket prices going up ? Any ideas how much for for like 7 day???

19. Fred Aebli says:

Having just taught a class on the use of ‘big data’ by large corporations, I find this interesting on many levels and the various comments here whereby so many will ‘buy’ into this approach is equally interesting considering the world we live in. Marketing is a factor but so is logistics. One question I do have is when they give you band do they reserve the right the collect the data even when you don’t see a physical scanner with a greeter? Can they place them in plants hidden, building s, etc. from your knowing it is collecting data from you?

Having the park become customized to my interests is something that reminds me of the webpage page portals where you customized the news feeds, etc, in order to give a more ‘personalized’ internet. As they have faded away or evolved into Apps serving specific needs I can see this technology doing the same. This can easily become a hat, ring, trading pin etc..

But the thing that excites me most is how this technology will extend the park experience/vacation back to your home for those of us who only get there every few years. Whether through a console game like the upcoming Infinity or possibly a way where Disney will build a virtual experience you can access via your new Magicband from the comfort of your living room to relive what you did on your stay. Tie video, photo, sounds etc. together in a timeline of your visit since it is tracking and plotting you.

Along those lines Disney still has not made great use of streaming web cams even though the park has them. I personally would pay for a service that would allow me to view attractions online at various times and differing locations during the day/night in anticipation of a visit.

20. Patricia Logan says:

I am going to have so much fun planning and scheduling for these band. The 2,4, and 6 year olds will NOT have charging privileges. can you imagine what that will do to my credit line, LOL.

21. ForrestsDump says:

Sub

22. Terry Douglas says:

Give me 2!!

23. Terry Douglas says:

I Love the RF technology. What I have noticed at the park entrance is that if the cast member at the entrance is not paying attention, people can just walk in. There aren’t any turnstiles anymore.

24. Stephen Rogers says: