/ Monday, June 3rd, 2013

Disneyland FunI think it’s safe to assume that anyone reading this has one very big thing in common with me- we’re all big Disney fans! As a child I often visited Walt Disney World with my family, but I also had so many touches of Disney magic in my life outside of the Disney parks. Growing up, so many of my memories involve Disney in some way, and I bet a lot of you out there can agree with me! I thought therefore it would be really fun to share a bunch of Disney touches connected with my childhood and in return I would love to hear some of your childhood Disney memories! I was born in 1988, so most of my Disney childhood memories focus around the late 80s and early 90s and range everywhere from television shows to toys. So let’s check out some of that Disney magic!

Disney Sing Along Songs: Disneyland Fun – To me, this was the best thing in the world. Sing Along Songs was a VHS (ahh, the old days!) series which featured Disney characters hosting a sing along to your favorite Disney music. I had a whole collection of Ariel Sing Along tapes, but this Disneyland Fun one was my prized possession. From those opening notes, to following the leader with Donald through Adventureland, to Makin’ Memories I could watch this video for days on end! The all time best part of it is the Haunted Mansion scene featuring those spooky dancing trees and a whole bunch of villains. I loved this tape so much that I actually ordered it on DVD for my nieces (okay, alDarkwing Duckso partially for myself) and get to watch it when babysitting. For those of you who haven’t seen it, go check it out! Here is a Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHwrNRIVP-o

The Disney Channel – I’m not talking Hannah Montana here, I’m talking classic Disney animated shows like Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Chip & Dale’s Rescue Rangers, and Duck Tales. Television in the 90s really didn’t get any better than those shows! Luckily, Costco has recently started selling these Disney series for around $10 a season, so fans can still get their fix!

Official AlbumThe Official Album of Disneyland and Walt Disney World – I had this tape on constant repeat in the car growing up. Featuring all of the classic songs from the parks, it was a way to feel as though we were in Disney even though we were probably stuck in traffic somewhere here at home in New York. I can clearly remember listening to Magic Journeys on this tape and still sometimes get it stuck in my head!

Stuffed Animals – Every kid loves their stuffed animals, so of course I had a few plush Disney characters. Some of my favorites included Figaro, Pegasus from Hercules, Timothy Mouse, and of course my stuffeFigmentd Figment!

Disney Figurines – Currently, they still manufacture small Disney figurines as toys but when I was growing up throughout Disney World there used to be baskets full of small painted rubber figures of every Disney character you could think of, but unfortunately I haven’t seen them in years. These figures were the crown jewels of my Disney collection, and I had every character I could get my hands on. Thankfully I held onto all of them and my favorites include Mickey and Minnie in their silver spacesuits from the early days of Epcot and a full set of Figments dressed in traditional outfits from each country in World Showcase. These figurines werFigmentse awesome, and I can guarantee that if you were a kid in the 90s in a Disney park, you probably had one at some point!

So there you have some of my favorite Disney centered memories from growing up in the nineties. I would love to hear some of your favorite Disney memories, toys, etc from growing up! I bet a lot of us here loved a bunch of the same things growing up!

What was your favorite growing up Disney memory? Did you have a favorite toy or song? Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!

Caitlin Corsello was born and raised in New York. She graduated from Adelphi University with a Masters in Mental Health Counseling in 2012. Her love for Disney started as an infant and has continued to grow with family vacations to Disney parks almost every year since. She holds a particular interest in WDW’s parks and attractions, never passing up an opportunity to visit. She looks forward to continuing to explore and learn about all things Disney and to share that passion with readers.

12 Responses to "Disney From The Twenty Something: Growing Up Disney"

1. Monique says:

I’m so glad I am not the only one that is fond of the Disneyland Fun Sing A Long Song VHS. When I went to Walt Disney World…it always confused me that I never saw the characters on rides with other kids and that I couldn’t find the mountain ride with the Yeti. I ended up playing the youtube video while we were on our trip in October on my birthday to get us up and ready to go for the day. Thank you for sharing this.

2. Tony E (BacksideOfWater) says:

Growing up my mom always kept me away from Disney. To this day I’m still not sure why. But there was one day a year that I could squeeze in some magic. It was always on a Saturday. I’d wake up at the crack of dawn more excited about anything.

Was it Christmas morning? My Birthday? No it was better.

It was the one day a year I got to spend the whole day with my Grandma. The day that she took me to see Disney On Ice.

Finally after waiting for what felt felt like hours she came to pick me up and we drove across town to wait a bit more. We always went as part of a tour group.

While waiting I happily pulled some goodies out of a brown paper bag that my Grandma would fill with fruit roll ups, snack size candy bars, and jolly ranchers.

When the bus arrived to pick us up my heart skipped a beat. The 2 hour ride on the bus as we drove to St. Louis was filled with the tour guide telling stories, organizing a few games, and my personal favorite part the sing a long.

Then we arrived at the arena. You feel the magic in the air as we walked inside and past all the merchandise stands full of plush dolls figurines, and light up toys. My grandma would always buy a program. Sadly none of those programs survived since my mom burned them all while I was away in the Navy later on.

The show itself was always amazing. My eyes would almost bug out of my head and my head was on a swivel as I watched the skaters dance around the ice.

This was back when Disney On Ice focused on one telling the story of 1 movie, not 3 or 4 in one show the way Feld Entertainment does now.

I always insisted my Grandma and I stay in our seats at intermission. Something magical in my eyes always happened. I got to see the Zamboni machine!

Then the show restarted. I was always on the edge of my seat. I was always a tad disappointed when the show ended. Not because it wasn’t a good show, but because my taste of Disney for the year was over.

After the show the bus stopped off at a nearby mall where we would get something to eat and shop a while before the 2 hour ride room full of excited children raving about the show.

The one year the magic stopped. They decided to stop doing Disney On Ice and focus solely on movies. I was heartbroken.

Then in cam Feld Entertaiment who restarted the tradition. Sadly I never got to go to the revamped Disney On Ice because the tour company didn’t offer it was an option anymore.

Now that I’m an adult I go to Disney On Ice every year. I have no children of my own but Disney On Ice’s annual stop in St. Louis is always near my niece’s birthday so I take her along for a Uncle/niece day. I think I enjoy it more than she does.

3. Daniel Young says:

My parents did have the Disneyland Sing Along video. I remember being afraid of the Grim Grinning Ghosts section in the video when I was little. It’s now one of my favorite Disney songs

4. Ryan Porter says:

I always love talking old Disney Channel! The cartoons of the Disney Afternoon were terrific but I really loved all the shorts being played (they’ve gotten back to that a bit, if edited versions) as well as segments like Dateline Disney and watching Vault Disney with my grandparents.
    Actually I watched all of my Disney Channel shows with my grandparents as Disney used to be a premium channel and they had the gigantic dish and got Disney for the grand-kids!

5. Kathy Kelly says:

We watched the VHS Disney Sing Along Songs: Disneyland Fun EVERY night for what seems like months when my now 23-year-old stepson was little! Wonderful memories!

6. Kendall Foreman (MoretotheWorld) says:

I also had several of the VHS Disney Sing Along Songs. One of my favorites was Disney Sing Along Songs Beach Party at Disney World. My family stayed at the Polynesian Resort Several times as a child, so I absolutely loved that this tape included “Pearly Shells” and the “Hukilau Song”.

Caitlin you and I are very close in age, so I am curious if you remember two of my favorite shows from the Disney Channel in the 90s – “Adventures Wonderland” and “Under the Umbrella Tree”. As a child my day was centered around these two shows. I never missed an episode. There was also a Christmas special that aired on Disney Channel during the during my childhood that I wish I could find a copy of – “Blue Toes the Christmas Elf”. Does anyone else remember this?

My favorite Disney toys as a child were my Disney dolls, the Barbie doll-style versions of Disney characters. One of my most prized ones was Mary Poppins. I remember waiting a long time to get her and taking very good care of her.

7. Mary C says:

I remember the Disney figurines well. They were an easy and inexpensive way to keep a child happy and content while waiting on lines at DisneyWorld.When back home the growing collection always went to Grandma and Grandpas house on babysitting days. My favorite Sing-A-Long is the Very Merry Christmas Songs and Mickey’s Fun Songs Campout at Walt Disney World

8. Caitlin Corsello says:

Monique — Don’t you wish characters actually ended up on the attractions with you like in Disneyland Fun? I once saw Aladdin and Jasmine ride The Magic Carpets of Aladdin with a small boy, but that was the only time I ever saw a character on an attraction!

Tony E — Those memories of going to Disney on Ice with your grandmother are so amazing! And also so special to be able to share in that experience with your niece now! Growing up, I can only remember going to the shows that featured several movies combined, but it must have been awesome to see an entire production based off of one movie!

Daniel Young — Wasn’t that section so scary growing up?! I remembered being terrified, but not being able to stop watching!

Ryan Porter — I remember those shorts! And Dateline Disney was the best!

Kathy Kelly — It was the same in our house! That VHS was in heavy rotation!

Kendall Foreman — Under the Umbrella Tree was my FAVORITE show! I was obsessed with watching it every day. Gloria Gopher was my favorite. I don’t remember Blue Toes the Christmas Elf, but I’m going to Google it and see if I can find it online somewhere to watch. And as for the Barbie-like dolls, I had all of those too! My absolute favorite was the Meg doll from Hercules!

Mary C — Sounds familiar bribing a kid with those Disney figurines…I wonder how my collection became so extensive =P

9. Blake says:

Disneyland Fun yes yes yes!! I *just* watched that last week haha

10. kimberley jones says:

hi,
    i loved reading this it made me think of my disney memories.
    i remember going to disneyland/euro when i was around 9 years old and i became obsessed with it’s a small world song! i remember going on about it for ages and ages and when i was around 11 my mum found a doll that played the tune. recently my husband bought me a vinyl record that comes with a booklet that explains all what you are seeing on the ride, and now i’m getting it in to his head ready for our first ever trip to wdw in7 weeks.
    my other memory was going to see beauty and the beast on ice, wow that was amazing and that year i got a pack of beuty and the beast playing cards.

11. Alicia says:

I too was obsessed with the Disneyland sing along. I would watch all the time especially when it was close to a trip. Me and my sister would dance around the living room like we were the kids in the movie. As I was born in 1987 I too remember the good old disney channel cartoons( that we could really only watch at my grandparents since they had satellite) and we didn’t :(. Of course there’s the stuffed pooh bears and a life size talking Mickey ( you put the cassette tape in his back and he read you a story). And all kinds of other little things. growing up we went 15 years in a row and I always look forward to going again. Cant wait for my August trip so excited for the new things :)

12. Megan says:

I remember coming home from school one day and my dad said there was a surprise!! That surprise was that my parents subscribed to the Disney Channel. That was when you had to pay for it. I’d watch kids incorporated and Mickey Mouse club religiously! I’d also tape mousercize and my grandmom and I would do them when she’d watch me. I still have them on tape.
    I also loved the movies, especially Mother Goose Rock and Rhyme and Ollie Hopnoodle Haven of Bliss! Obsessed!