/ Wednesday, June 19th, 2013

Mickey and Minnie in the CarSummer is here, and school gets out families start to take part in that time-honored tradition of taking a summer vacation! Many of these trips by road, air, and sea wind up at Walt Disney World, the most magical place on earth. And everyone knows that while traveling may not be the most fun experience, there’s bound to be some high jinks that come up when a family piled in a car, plane, or what have you for a long voyage.

As summer settles in, I’m curious: what goes down when your family takes a trip? Do you have any traveling traditions to pass the time? Any funny stories that are perhaps more memorable than the vacation itself? I’ll start us off:

My family is all about the WDW Must-Do channel in the resort TVs. It’s one of those things that really just tells you you’re there! So in the car, my sister takes reign of the video camera and pretends to be Stacey, pointing out to the loyal viewers at home all the Must-Dos that you just must do in the car on the way to Florida. She even pumps in her own theme music. It’s quite the to-do. Her doing the Must-Dos has become one of our Must-Dos!

How about you? What memories do you have of making the journey to WDW? Share in the comments below by Saturday, June 22 and check back in next Wednesday’s Finding Disney post to see if you’ve won a WDW Radio Mystery Ticket!!

Blake is a college student focusing on Creative Writing and Media Studies. He enjoys making his family of six watch the parade on Main Street and then sprint to Frontierland in time to see it again. You can follow Blake’s random Disney ramblings on Twitter at @blakeonline, or at BlakeOnline.com.

8 Responses to "Share YOUR Magical Disney Memories: Traveling to WDW"

1. As my family and I are from New York, we always fly to Walt Disney World. It’s become a tradition that we incorporate Disney music in our travels in some way.

When we drive ourselves to the airport, we pop in one of our many Disney CDs of music from the parks and get the in Disney spirit right away.

Not to be outdone by my family, once on the plane I listen to my own playlist of Disney songs from the parks and movies on my Ipod.

It’s just not a Disney trip if we don’t have our tunes to get things started.

2. Janice Baxter (ChickapinChick) says:

Whenever my family drove to Florida for a Disney vacation, inevitably we would somehow end up lost somewhere on the way to our hotel. Generally we would be driving around in the middle of the night and in the middle of wetland area, and while my mom and dad tried to look at a map with a flashlight to figure out where the heck we were, my sister and I would make up dramatic tales of how we were lost forever and how the gators were going to find us and eat us. The later it got, the more dramatic the tales would become.I’m sure that two giggling girls in the back seat didn’t make it any easier to read the map and find out where we were, but it helped us to look on the bright side of life.

3. Steamboat Eddie says:

My family travels by car and love the road trip. Every gas stop is a little adventure in itself. No journey to the Sunshine state would be complete without a stop at South of the Border lol. We know it’s not the most exciting place to be but that big sombrero just pulls you in right off i95!! We also must stop at a hotel for the evening and make a night and morning out of it. Who doesn’t love a hotel continental breakfast?!

Have a great day!

4. Lindsey D says:

Living in Montana 2400 miles away, we have only driven once to WDW. Since then we have flown, which always takes a full day 6 am till 11 pm. But no matter how late we get there we always pose for our fisrt photo in front of the (closed)Disney Store with Goofy. He just stands there welcoming us every time. We still have very little kids so we try to keep them from screamining on planes by watching Disney movies and reading our favorite stories.

5. Tony E (BacksideOfWater) says:

unfortunitly I always travel alone but I still have a few traditions.

First off I always take the earliest flight I can and usually have to leave my house at 2 AM. So 2 days before the trip I stay up all night so I can sleep well the next night. I pass the twilight hours by having a Disney Movie Marathon (last time I went to WDW during my all nighter I watched Tangled, Princess And The Frog, Aladdin, Brave, and The Little Mermaid)

Then I out my Disney Princess Fairy Tale Songs and Disney Villian Simply Sinister songs CDs so the drive to the airport id full of great Disney songs. I load up my MP3 player with Disney and Muppet songs and listen to that one the plane.

I always make sure to dress the part wearing one of my many Disney shirts, my lanyard full of pins, and of course my trademark Sorcerer’s hat with Mickey ears.

Last time I was at the airport I had 3 people stop me and want pictures with me and my hat. Made me feel like the of the characters in the parks :)

6. WDW Donna says:

The last time we went my oldest was 12 (she is now 17 and we are overdue at The World) To count down to departure day I would put a Disney quote in her lunch bag everyday. She would have to guess the movie and character that it belonged to. It was a great way to count the days and refresh the movies she might not know as well.

7. Elaine says:

YES! Tacky South of the Border! We loved looking at all the South of the Border billboards on the way down. It was a milestone to reach it by lunch time. (We live in NJ and would leave at 3 am). Every hour after sunrise we would give each daughter a little gift to open to help the time go by. These would include balls, jump ropes, things to do at the rest stops to help get the wiggles out and puzzles, activity books, travel games to keep them busy while driving. They still remember those gifts more than the 21 hour drive – which was the point. Of course we listened to great DWD music!

8. Cecilia DuVall says:

My favorite memory was our trip in 1987. We were so determined to get to WDW, but transportation was a problem (limited funds), so we decided to go for it and got a luggage carrier for the roof of our Pontiac 1000 4-door hatchback(comparable in size to a Ford Escort. Get this: our group was made up of 3 adults, 2 children ages 1 & 3, and 3 teenagers. Yes, we all fit, but you should have seen the looks on the faces of people wherever we stopped, when we exited this small car.
    To add insult to injury, we were pulled over by a State Trooper in Georgia; I don’t even know why, but when he looked at how we were crammed into the car, he just shook his head and told me that it was best that my 18-month old not be in my lap. I bet he couldn’t wait to tell his fellow officers what he had seen.
    But, you know, that turned out to be one of our most memorable trips. How we got there did not matter, discomfort, etc. What mattered was getting there and once we did, it was all worth it, because we are truly Disney Fanatics, are still are to this day! We just got back from a trip in May!