/ Friday, July 19th, 2013

by Peyton Spear

TIPS LOGOThis week, in honor of Disneyland’s anniversary, I thought I would share one of my favorite tips/experiences to encounter while at Disneyland in California.

Onto the tip!

If you are like me and like to immerse yourself into a scene or environment that really makes you feel like you are there, make reservations to eat at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in New Orleans Square.

Not only do they have amazing food inspired by New Orleans and the tradition Cajun cuisine (Royal Street Seafood Jambalaya is my high recommendation), but as you enter the restaurant, the nighttime atmosphere and lanterns hanging above your head make you feel like you are right on the bayou during sundown in New Orleans.

With the sound of crickets chirping and the occasional live jazz band musician playing on the balcony above, the Blue Bayou is Blue bayouthe best restaurant atmosphere in my opinion at Disneyland.

The great part about the restaurant is that it is under the same roof as Pirates of the Caribbean so make sure to ask for a table close to the water as you wave at boats going by filled with brave pirates as they embark on their journey through the ride.

If the ride is not very long, I like to go on it after we finish dinner to take a look at the restaurant from the boats perspective.

What is your favorite restaurant at Disneyland? Bonus question: What is the secret club Walt created that only members are allowed to enter? (be on the lookout for it near the entrance of the Blue Bayou Restaurant)

Peyton is currently a student at the University of Mississippi majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in print. Growing up in Los Angeles and most recently moving to Atlanta, he has seen and experienced the best of both Disneyland and Disney World. Making his first visit to Disney World at the age of 5, he has never looked back as he entered the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

7 Responses to "Adventure Into The World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy: Disney Tip #9"

1. Mike N says:

glad you posted this, I am going there Aug 22!! We have reservations for this place, cannot wait. looking for more suggestions from other people for more places to eat…..

2. Diane Jones says:

Hi—I was just at Disneyland a couple of months ago for the first time since 1971. It was a wonderful experience. In 1971, my family ate at the Blue Bayou and loved it. The atmosphere can’t be beat, but I especially remember the fireflies as we enjoyed our meal in the bayou. Because of the high prices at that restaurant, we did not eat there this time, but had a terrific mid-afternoon dinner at Cafe Orleans. Pommes frites, Monte Cristos, and salmon sandwiches that we shared between the 5 of us (huge portions if you try to have one per person)…wonderful!!!

3. Diane Jones says:

PS Walt’s private club in New Orleans Square is Club 33. It was out privilege to have access to the lobby of the club while on our “Walt in Walt’s Footsteps” tour. That is the closest we will ever get to being in Club 33!!

4. Lindsey D says:

I love the Blue Bayou. It gets negative reviews since it is so expensive, but I agree that the atmosphere is unbeatable. I wish they had it in WDW too. I get to make my reservation for the Blue Bayou in 4 days, since we will be there in 64 days from today. The name of the club is Club 33, a special club Walt made for the original Disneyland sponsors. I took the Walk in Walt’s footsteps tour when I was a cast member at the Disney Store and we were able to go inside the lobby and see the famous elevator. If I ever win the lottery I will be a proud member!

5. Kristin says:

I am going to Disneyland this summer and now I definitely want to go eat here! :)

6. Steamboat Eddie says:

Never been to Disneyland, sad face. Hopefully I can get there someday.

Later on.

7. Richie says:

I’ve never eaten here, but I LOVE your article. I remember SEEING this place the first time I rode “Pirates…” out there, and I was awe-struck; what a beautiful, perfectly themed atmosphere it is with the swamp and boats and lights…a brilliant combination of ride and dining…great article!