/ Wednesday, July 10th, 2013

For me, it’s racing from attraction to attraction without stopping to people watch.  For my husband, it’s failing to use the dining plan strategically.  For my children, it is sleeping in and avoiding the morning Extra Magic Hours…..

castle1What is “IT”?  The Disney Transgression…. the unforgivable act that makes the others in your travel party–or your Disney Facebook pals–roll their eyes at you and secretly re-plan your vacation in their mind.  It is an act that we all probably have committed at one time or another, but either experience, time, or exhaustion have led us to change our ways (maybe.)  It is something that either logic or emotion tells us is probably not wise, yet…… we do it anyway!  And it is definitely a behavior that is unique to those who travel to and adore Walt Disney World.

We all have our opinions about what is a silly way to experience a Disney vacation.  Recently, Rich Bernato wrote a series for us called Farkle v. Farkle, in which he examined the “transgression” of over-planning a Disney vacation.  The hilarious series placed the defendant, Fred Farkle, on trial, being prosecuted by his very own family.  The series was witty and made many of us stop and reflect on our own Disney habits, and smile all-knowingly as Fred did the same things!

Fred was ultimately acquitted by the blog readership, and so now, in our own version of WDW Radio Court TV, we are looking to examine a NEW Disney “crime.”  Rich wants YOUR thoughts about Disney transgressions and will use the ideas that come in for the newest “trial.”

To be clear, this is intended to be light-hearted and enable us all to laugh at ourselves and think about how Disney has norms all of its own.  We don’t intend to tackle ACTUAL crimes–just those acts that we laugh at knowingly–yet commit ourselves once in a while.

So, please join us and offer your thoughts on something you have done (or seen others do) that you consider a Disney Transgression.  You may just find your idea being examined through Rich’s lens!

13 Responses to "Walt Disney World “Transgressions”–What Do YOU Think?"

1. Kevin W says:

You have to understand something. I love churros. I talk about them the way some people talk about the Dole Whip. And yet, on our last Disney trip, I only ate one churro!

I didn’t think about it until after the trip, but I couldn’t believe that I had missed an opportunity to over-indulge in my favorite Disney snack.

2. Tricia says:

Not getting a Mickey Ice Cream Bar daily.

3. howard (@can_twitr ) says:

My biggest transgression is getting frustrated in parks & resorts! I or usually someone in my family has to remind me to chill, YOU ARE ON VACATION at your favourite place on earth!

4. Chris Hill says:

The biggest transgression is when I hear a parent tell a child to hurry past a character that he obviously wants to see because they don’t have time. I learned very quickly that for my kids standing in line to meet Mickey, Ariel, Peter Pan, or any of the other characters provided more memories than a ride on Big Thunder Mountain. For my family the rides are there to pass the time between character meet and greets.

5. When I hear parents scream at their kids “We paid so much money to come down here and this is how you act…”. The greatest transgression is to forget to enjoy and laugh a lot.

6. Christy Viszoki says:

Kevin–It’s so funny you say that, as my tradition is ALWAYS have a hot dog at Casey’s. I was mortified to discover, as I was flying home from the 6th anniversary show, that I never got to the MK to have my hot dog. 20+ years of tradition down the drain!! 8: )

7. Caitlin Corsello (giantnfl) says:

For me, it’s not taking advantage of the morning Extra Magic Hours- especially at the Animal Kingdom! You can get so much done in that one hour before the crowds roll in. Sometimes my family thinks I am crazy for insisting we are there the second the park opens, but by doing so it opens up more free time in the crowded afternoons to sit pool side and relax!

8. Kendall Foreman (MoretotheWorld) says:

Kevin and Christy — I did something similar on our last trip. I was very preoccupied with trying new foods, searching out hidden tidbits, and visiting different resorts. On the way home I realized there were some things that I really enjoy that I only did once or didn’t even do at all. I felt a little devastated. I definitely think Rich could look at the two sides of this issue: the people who want to try all the new things vs. the people who just want to enjoy the things they love.

9. Mike S (Oswald71) says:

I would say not going to the Magic Kingdom on the last full day of the trip. I remember getting choked up as a kid as I watched Cinderella’s Castle fade into the distance as the boat would take us back to Ft Wilderness. I have to admit that it still has the same effect.

10. Blake says:

I know there is division on this one, but for me it’s gotta be riding rides during the parade. The parade is one of my favorite things in all of WDW, and while I realize the rides’ waits are shorter during the parade, the rides will be there all day long and the parade will not. (YOPO: You only parade once.) I understand why people like to skip out on the parade, but I would not ever miss it for the world!

11. Jenna says:

Not getting a Dole Whip!

12. Steamboat Eddie says:

Whenever I suggest an Epcot visit to the family I can hear the collective sigh in their heads lol. For some CRAZY reason they don’t enjoy Epcot, but I like to take them there anyway.

Catcha later.

13. Beth says:

Not hiring the Disney photographer to take family photos around our resort.