/ Wednesday, August 28th, 2013

by Kendall Foreman

For those of you who have followed prior posts of mine, you already know what a foodie I am, and that I am convinced that WDW offers some of the finest snacks and dishes I have ever eaten.  To my dismay, many of my favorites have disappeared from the menus of some of my much-loved dining hotspots throughout the Resort property.  I choose to believe that these culinary delights were not removed as a result of unpopularity; rather, they were set aside in order to make room for innovative Disney Chefs—many of whom are critically acclaimed artists in their industry—to maintain their positions as leaders at their craft; to enable new Chefs to make their mark in the culinary world; to keep Walt Disney World Resort at the forefront of the dining industry; and, of course, to provide guests with all new creations as well as out-of-the-rut twists on traditional and regional cuisines.  While I enjoy trying new things, there is just something about having an amazingly delicious snack or dish, again and again.  Oh, to have just one more chance to indulge in those memorable delights, each of which are attached to so many wonderful reminiscences.  What follows is a list of a few of my now gone favorites.

Red Raspberry Tart—Available in the mid-to-late 90s Boulangerie Patisserie in the France pavilion of Epcot’s World Showcase, this dessert still reigns supreme as my Raspberry Tartfavorite food item at WDW ever, exclamation point!  Now, for those of you who are thinking that they still serve this small round, perfect in its simplicity tart or one similar to it, you would be right… almost.  Indeed, there is a mixed fruit tart that includes raspberries currently being served at various locations throughout the Resort property; however, it pales in comparison to the original.  While the new tart would receive a favorable rating of 7 on my scale, the changes to it are disappointing in my opinion.  “The Original”—as I refer to it—did not have the almond crème filling or hard, breakable crust of today’s tart.  Instead, it had a dreamingly soft, melt-in-your-mouth, buttery pastry shell that did not crack or crumble under fork pressure.  While stiff enough to hold its shape, the crust was light enough to soak up some of the sweet, somewhat sticky glaze that covered the red raspberries and settled perfectly in the bottom.  The coated juicy raspberries were lightly dusted with just the right amount of Confectioners’ sugar.  Never disappointing, it was blissful perfection in every bite.  I say, “Kudos to the wonderfully talented chef who created the recipe.”  Though I cannot number how many I partook of at Epcot over the years, I can tell you that I will never forget the first one in 1995.  Sadly, the Raspberry Tart was replaced with a Strawberry Tart comprised of the original light crust and glaze.  Far less juicy than the raspberries, the firmness of the whole strawberries made it difficult to eat.  I hoped the change was temporary due to raspberry costs or shortages.  Alas, I had to accept my favorite would be no more.  No sooner than I had arrived at that conclusion, Boulangerie Patisserie began serving the current Mixed Fruit Tart.  The firm crust and crème are too great a disappointment for me to get over.  Gone forever, my beloved Raspberry Tart is but a memory.  Perhaps worse, my husband never had the joy of trying one… so I have no one with whom to commiserate.

Potato, Vegetable and Goat Cheese Torte—Served at Kringla Bakeri og Kafe in the Norway pavilion Epcot World Showcase, this fabulous snack/appetizer was Torteremoved from the menu just this year.  Just so you know, I am a consummate cheese lover.  Among the many varieties, I thoroughly enjoy goat cheese—whether mild and delicate or strong and pungent—it is a fantastic addition to both savory and sweet dishes.  When it is used in proper proportion, it is excellent.  In the case of this torte, it makes the dish.  I think most would suggest that this is a treat to be shared, and my husband and I usually did.  However, I readily admit to sneaking a few extra bites beyond my half… and always wishing I had ordered my own.  What can I say, “I appreciate fine things, and this torte is one of the finest.”  In fact, prior to our recent trip in May, my husband asked me what food I was most looking forward to eating while at WDW.  This Torte topped my list. (It was a “10” on my ranking scale!).  You can imagine my utter disappointment when we reached Kringla Bakeri og Kafe only to discover it was no longer available.  Sad, sad day.

Shere Khan—Once available during the 1990s at the Polynesian Resort’s Coral Isle Café—now known as the Kona Café—this family friendly beverage was a standout on the children’s menu.  Described on the menu simply as Sprite® and orange juice, the Shere Khan seemed like so much more.  Perhaps it was the souvenir cup, or the cool name, or the company with whom I enjoyed it (my sister and parents)… I don’t know.  I just know it made a lasting impression on me, and I will always remember it fondly.

Buffalo Steak with Vidalia Onion Jam and Sweet Potato Hazelnut Gratin— Once an entrée available at the Wilderness Lodge’s higher-end restaurant, Artist Point, it has been replaced by Slow-roasted Buffalo Strip Steak with Truffle Macaroni & Cheese with Rainbow Chard.  I first enjoyed the original, favored entree in 2002 while on a trip with my family.  I reveled in taking my husband to partake of it while on our honeymoon in 2008.  Then, when we returned in 2009, it was gone… just gone.  You cannot imagine my disappointment when I learned that yet another of my favorite WDW dishes was no longer available.  What a letdown.  While both of these entrees boast bison steak so succulent and tender it could stand alone on the plate and be fully satisfying, their similarities end there.  Please don’t take me wrong, I’m sure the Truffle Macaroni & Cheese with Rainbow Chard is exceptional.  I just do not believe it could measure up to oh so perfect Vidalia Onion Jam and Sweet Potato Hazelnut Gratin.  For those of you who missed out on this dish, words seem inadequate to convey its deliciousness.  As previously noted, buffalo steak—a very lean meat that must be cooked carefully to avoid toughness—was masterfully prepared; then, aromatic onions caramelized until their natural sweetness reaches candy-level perfection were added.  Truth be told, I think the entrée could have stopped right there and it would be superior to most.  Thankfully, it did not.  Instead, the chef masterfully created a sweet and salty combination of sliced scalloped sweet potatoes and hazelnuts that complemented the steak and onions in ways I do not believe macaroni and chard ever could.  Admittedly, I did not try the current dish.  It may have been delightful.  My memories of the original outweighed my willingness to try the new one.  Just a note:  Happily, I have located the recipe for the Sweet Potato Hazelnut Gratin and have been able to enjoy it once again; unfortunately, it made me long for the entire dish all the more.

I would like to hear about the foods you crave that are no longer offered at Walt Disney World Resort and if you miss any of the ones I mentioned above. Please share your comments in the section below.

Kendall began visiting Walt Disney World in 1991 with her family and has continued to visit the resort with her husband.  As a child, she and her family filled vacations with challenges such as “How many times can we ride Splash Mountain during SpectroMagic and the fireworks?” (Answer: 7)  Now, after marrying a converted Disney skeptic, she and her husband enjoy challenges such as “How many hours can we eat nonstop at the Food & Wine Festival?” (Answer: 4)

16 Responses to "I Have a Craving for… Foods I Cannot Have Again At WDW"

1. I miss Figaro Fries at Pinocchio’s Village Haus in the Magic Kingdom! They were very tasty!

2. I loved the mushroom medley appetizer at Rose and Crown. One trip I went to get it and it had been taken off the menu only a week or so before. Luckily, the recipe was still on the computer so they printed it out for me before we finished dinner.

3. Kendall Foreman (MoretotheWorld) says:

Sarah and Tia: I never had the chance to try Figaro Fries or the Mushroom Medley appetizer, but I googled them both to see what they once were. They both look delicious! Now I am sad I never had the opportunity.

4. Becky Manion says:

There was an amazing club sandwich at Cosmic Rays, used to have every trip!

5. This is easy… Top 5 most missed food items

1. Double Chocolate Cookie @ Main Street Bakery: This was the best cookie on property. No arguments allowed. I have no idea why the bakery no longer makes it. My last trip I tried to make a brownie sold at the bakery fill my void for this cookie. It was just not the same, at all.

2. Raspberry Schuss @ French Pavilion, Epcot: (Admittedly, this food is still offered seasonally. However, there have been many a time that I have visited Epcot and been devastated when it was not at the pastry shop)

3. Pooh Cookies @ Various stores at WDW resorts and parks:
    These were delicious waffle cookies. I miss them dearly. They were the perfect food to take back to your resort after a long day at the park/pool.

4. Bagheera Juice @ Polynesian Resort:
    I know just what you mean when you talk about the Shere Khan. My family and I used to eat at the old, Coral Isle Café. Bagheera Juice was on the menu at the time. I do not know exactly what it was, but it was delicious.

5. Peanut Butter, Jelly, and Marshmallow Sandwiches @ Pinocchio’s Restaurant:
    Given that this is just four easily store bought products, you would not think it was all that special. Oh, but it was. Various locations around the property use to sell these amazingly sugary lunch items, and I as a teenager and adult would happily purchase them. Now, I have noticed that many locations have replaced them with Smucker’s crustless PB & J. Not the same.

Honorable Mention:
    Gummy Mickey Heads (sold at the confectionary store on Main Street and other shops on property): a friend told me they are no longer making them.

Commissary Roast Beef/Cuban Sandwiches (MGM/Disney Studios): To be honest, I do not remember much about these sandwiches other than I would get one, at the then, MGM Studios.

6. 1. The original Grapefruit Cake at the Brown Derby- “Disney-MGM Studios” era. It seems different now.
    2. The original Lemon Cake offered in several places throughout the resort… I always got mine at the Main Street Bakery.
    3. The original Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) at Les Chefs de France—Epcot
    4. The little Disney character shaped fried potatoes (like French fries). It was a family tradition when my children were young. We got them at “Disney Village”
    5.The swirled berry sorbet/sherbet and vanilla ice cream cones at the Enchanted Grove-Magic Kingdom. So refreshing! It was like the orange juice version at the Sunshine Tree Terrace-Adventureland. It is also delicious… just not as great as the berry. Note: Welcome back to the Terrace “Orange Bird”!
    6. The original twisty, long popsicle “Itzakadoozie”. We got these every time we watched Fantasmic-”Disney MGM Studio/Disney Hollywood Studios. I think Nestle made them. Come back to the world, Itzakadoozie!
    7. The rabbit sausage at Artist Point-Wilderness Lodge. If you did not have this, oh my, did you miss out. It was awesome!

My list could go on and on.

7. Kendall Foreman says:

Becky: I don’t believe I ever had the club sandwich at Cosmic Rays, but I do lament the loss of an very large club sandwich that came on a croissant that used to be available at Captain Cook’s at the Polynesian.

May & Anne: Wow! You both have clearly been thinking about this long before this post.

May: I very fondly remember the Pooh Waffle Cookies you mentioned. The had such a delicate and delicious hint of honey.
    I also enjoyed the PB&J and Marshmallow Sandwiches as a kid, and I occasionally make them at home in memory of the ones I can no longer have in the parks.
    I also remember the Cuban Sandwich at the ABC Commissary. It was one of those unique menu items that seemed to disappear during the economic slump. Some unique items are beginning to return to the menu, but I believe this one may be gone forever.

Anne: I actually have an old issue of Disney Magazine with a picture of the original incarnation of the Grapefruit Cake. It was a little less “showy” in the old days. As I never tried it back then, I can not tell you if the taste has changed or just the presentation.
    The double layer Lemon Cake almost made my blog post! This cake would be #2 on my list of all-time favorite desserts, definitely a 10 on my scale.
    I believe the berry version of the citrus swirl may be available occasionally at Sunshine Tree Terrace. They may have picked it up now that the Enchanted Grove is no more.
    I too, lament the loss of the original Itzakadoozie. What could be better than a nearly foot-long popsicle in the Florida heat. I always bought one on the Streets of America. The parks still have a Nestle “Itzakadoozie” at some of the ice cream carts, but it is not nearly as big and looks nothing like the original….why oh, why Nestle did you have to fix something that wasn’t broke?

8. I think I remember some sort of strawberry parfait available at a cart near France. It was special because I shared it with my mom on a trip. Does anyone know if it is still available?

I miss banana bread pudding muffin that had only come to the Main Street bakery in the last few years. Does anyone know where you can get it now?

9. Kendall Foreman (MoretotheWorld) says:

Crissy: I completely understand how special a food can become when it is tied to wonderful memories. I did some research, and it looks like Les Halles Boulangerie & Pâtisserie (French pastry shop) does have a Parfait Aux Fruits. I am guessing the fruit varies depending on what is in season. Upon further research, I discovered that Starring Rolls at Hollywood Studios also has a Strawberry Parfait that has received very good reviews, and some people commented that they enjoyed it more than the one at the France pavilion. Hopefully one of these is the one from your memories! I Googled the Banana Bread Pudding from the Main Street Bakery and it looks delicious. I think I would have definitely enjoyed the muffin top filled with bananas…yummy! Sadly, it looks like this may have been a casualty of the Starbucks conversion. I did find a Facebook page that has posted the recipe. I am not sure if it is official, so bake at your own risk. But if it is the only way to enjoy the treat, I am sure it will be worth the risk! Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/WaltDisneyWorldRecipes/posts/644023438958700

10. Kendall, I know this is off topic… do you ever get a craving for the best “noodle” dish on property? I have no idea where all “noodles” can be enjoyed at Disney World. One of my daughters and I are big time Chinese or Japanese noodle fans (Lo Mein, etc.). Actually, can you recommend any noodles (any culture)? We’re looking for the best. Can you, or anyone on this site, help us out? Thanks!

11. Kendall Foreman says:

Anne: Thanks for the topic suggestion. I’ll use it next month, so check back in three weeks for the “I Have a Craving for…Noodles”!

12. There was a frozen coffee at a coffee cart in AK just on the right after the bridge to Discovery Island. Unlike many frozen coffee drinks at WDW this one was creamy more like a shake rather than a slushie. Oh it was soooo good! It disappeared a few years ago.

13. Cindy Alford says:

1. Fettucine Alfredo….. heck the entire L’Originale Alfredo restaurant!!!! The antipasta appetizer…… I still boycott Italy to this day! LOL

2. Cinammon roll at Main Street Bakery. Can’t bring myself to go into Starbucks yet…. urghhhhh

3. Oyster Brie Soup at Brown Derby. I make it at home and it is amazing!

4. Flatbread at Rainforest Café ….. BEFORE Landry’s bought them. the entire menu was much better!

14. The cuban sandwich at the abc commisary in the studios. It was the 1st time I ever had one, and make it at home often.

15. Although they are still available in Canada (the country not the pavilion), I miss the beaver tails that they used to sell in the Canada pavilion.

16. Kendall Foreman says:

Laura: As I am not a coffee drinker, I have to admit I am not really up on where to look for coffee-related beverages. I did some searching though, and it seems like the beverage you are referring to is no longer offered anywhere at Animal Kingdom. Perhaps there will be something similar at one of the new Starbucks locations.

Cindy: I never dined at L’Originale Alfredo di Roma because my family always traveled during the summer and could never be convinced to eat copious amounts of pasta on a hot Florida day, but I am sure I would have loved it because I have a BIG weakness for pasta…especially Fettuccine Alfredo. As I Googled this location, I found it interesting that it was based on the original Alfredo’s in Rome where Fettuccine Alfredo was created. How awesome! Without even having tried this pasta you speak of, I am sure that I can lament its passing with you.

Teresa: I am with you on the Cuban Sandwich. I wish it would return. My family ate at the Commissary almost every trip, and I ordered the Cuban several times. This entrée combo was the first time I ever tried plantain chips. Those were a great side option.

John C: I have never had a Beaver Tail, but I hear people speak of them often. I looked them up and was terribly disappointed that I never had the opportunity to partake of this delicious looking sugar-high. I think I would have chosen the Maple Chocolate option.