/ Friday, October 11th, 2013

by Felicia & Sean

So here’s the beauty of Walt Disney World: There’s something for everyone.

Say you, like me, love thrill rides. You can’t get enough ups and downs, quick lefts followed by sharp rights. Well, WDW has got you covered.his and hers

From the Magic Kingdom’s mountain range – that, of course, being the trio of Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain – to the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Expedition Everest, among others, Disney World has plenty of ways to provide you enough thrills to hold you over until your next trip to The Most Magical Place on Earth.

But what if you like a quieter vacation? What if, like my wife, you’d prefer sitting down for a quiet attraction over a 13-story, faster-than-gravity drop? Mickey Mouse has plenty for you, too!

Check out The Magic of Disney Animation, for example, which includes the ever-popular Animation Academy (a Felicia favorite!), where you can learn to draw both classic Disney characters and new favorites. (You’ll even walk away with a free souvenir: your hand-drawn pencil drawing you just learned to create!) You can’t go wrong with Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, the longest-running stage show in history that debuted at the 1964 World’s Fair, which has entertained generations of guests (like me … I can’t get enough of John, Sarah and the family) at the Magic Kingdom. Head from Tomorrowland to Liberty Square and greet all 44 commanders-in-chief at The Hall of Presidents.

Even if you can’t draw a stick figure or you’re no student of history, there’s still an added benefit of attractions like these: They’re great ways to beat the Florida heat and enjoy the wonder that is air-conditioning!

Still, you don’t have to brave Mission: Space or sit on a bench on Main Street USA to get the most out of your Disney World vacation – though those are both great ways to do so. Your experience at the parks doesn’t have to be all or nothing, when it comes to intensity or relaxation.

Again, there’s something for everyone, and that’s what makes it our most beloved vacation destination! (And likely yours, too, if you’re still reading this.)

So what’s your ideal Disney World experience? Do you race to Space Mountain right at rope drop, or do you saunter down Main Street USA and finally arrive at Cinderella Castle sometime around noon? We’d love you hear what you’ve got to say…

Picture from the personal collection of Felicia & Sean.

“New Yorkas” Felicia and Sean are avid Disney fans.  Their first vacation as a couple was in Walt Disney World.  They were engaged there, and also honeymooned there.  After a combined 30 trips to the World, they are self-professed Disney travel agents and enjoy helping family and friends plan magical Disney vacations.

6 Responses to "A “Couple” Things Disney: His and Hers (and Everyone Else’s, too!)"

1. Michelle says:

Thank you for your wonderful recommendation of the Carousel of Progress. It really upsets me when I read blogs and travel guides and (if they mention it at all) they simply call it a great place to rest your feet and take a nap. No, folks. That’s your resort. The Carousel of Progress deserves better than that. Thanks again!

2. Ruby R. (DisneyGirlRuby) says:

Hi Felicia and Sean! Great post today. Disney’s Carousel of Progress is my favorite attraction at Walt Disney World and not a lot of people appreciate it, so it’s nice to know that you mentioned it as one of your must sees!
    Have a magical day! Love, Ruby xo

3. Anne says:

Felicia and Sean,
    One of our children is more of a thrill-seeker, the other not so much. My husband will try any attraction once, and usually return for more. I land somewhere in the middle of the pack. These days, I lean more to the “not-so-much”. However, we all share a common ground in our love for Splash Mountain. It is one “thrill” ride that I will still risk taking. We always head straight to the briar patch. None of us can imagine starting our day or night at the Magic Kingdom any other way. A very, very close second is Pirates. We take both boat rides several times throughout our stay.

4. Paul (shoemakers4) says:

The saunter down Main Street is the perfect way to START a trip. Every day there after, it’s a race to the first destination at rope drop. To me, you must soak in Walt’s dreams. Arriving at the partners statue and just soaking in the characters around you. My family makes of point of doing that first EVERY time we return to WDW since its something Walt never got to do. It’s our way of honoring the man that made this all possible. Then, it’s off to Carousel of Progress. Finally, it’s Space Mountain cause my wife is the thrill rider and by now I’ve maxed out her patience!

5. Sean (of "Felicia and Sean" fame) says:

Hi, everybody! Thanks for your GREAT comments! Felicia and I appreciate the feedback!

Even as much as I love a good thrill rides like I mentioned above, the Carousel of Progress remains one of my all-time favorite attractions at WDW! I went to WDW countless times as a kid, so I grew up watching the family progress throughout the decades, including that AMAZINGLY 1980s finale, complete with the huge personal computer Sarah is sitting behind. Add to that the fact that Walt helped create it, and it’s an attraction that, to my mind, should never be shuttered … though others have suggested it.

Thanks again for all the great comments! We’ll be responding as frequently as we can, and look for another “A Couple Things Disney” entry coming soon…

6. Elaine says:

We get there at rope drop but then saunter down main street to soak up the sights and smells and have some breakfast outside st the tables while watching the cute little “Walkin Down the Middle of Main Street” parade. When that’s over, we head to space mountain and start working our way around.