I hope y’all enjoyed the Halloween Challenge last week- great job! The correct list of restaurants was as follows….
1. Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
2. Casey’s Corner
3. Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant
4. The Hollywood Brown Derby
7. Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant
8. Yak & Yeti Restaurant
9. ABC Commissary
10. Cinderella’s Royal Table
This past week my family finalized dining reservations for our upcoming trip to WDW and I really got to thinking about my favorites places on property. We are going during peak season, in December, so often it is hard to get advance dining reservations for every restaurant you want. Therefore, sometimes a welcome alternative is enjoying the many quick-service restaurants.
One of my favorite quick-service locations is Cookes of Dublin, located in Downtown Disney. When Raglan Road (next door) is packed and you have a craving for Irish food, Cookes of Dublin is perfect to satisfy your appetite! Entrees include salads, fish and chip sandwich, scallops, Irish sausages, battered burger and chips, chicken wings in whisky glaze, chicken and chips, shrimp, chicken sandwich, fisherman’s pie, beef and lamb pie, and chicken and lamb pie. They offer a variety of “dippies” to dip your entrees and chips into. The chips can come plain or tossed in thyme and salt or garlic and parmesan. I’m getting hungry just writing this. We can’t forget to mention that Cookes of Dublin offers desserts such as a fried candy bar, strawberry shortcake, chocolate eclair, cookies, cupcakes, fruit cups, and ice cream. My favorite meal is chicken and chips with garlic and Parmesan chips, drizzled with malt vinegar sauce!
As you can tell, Cookes of Dublin offers a wide variety of menu items for everyone to find something they like. You also get the added bonus of being served quickly, with affordable prices, and the ability to enjoy Downtown Disney steps away. I would definitely recommend it for a hassle-free and delicious meal!
This week’s recipe is for honey-whiskey glazed chicken wings! I couldn’t find a specific “Disney recipe,” so this is a look-a-like recipe still sure to be yummy! Recipe courtesy of http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/honey-whiskey-chicken-wings-cocktails-2009.
Honey-whiskey glazed chicken wings
2 dozen whole chicken wings, tips left on Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup whiskey
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest (from 2 limes)
1 1/2 tablespoons New Mexico or ancho chile powder
1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. Arrange the wings in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for about 40 minutes, until crisp, golden and cooked through.
4. In a small saucepan, whisk the honey with the whiskey and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.
5. Off the heat, whisk in the mustard.
6. In a bowl, mix the sugar with the zest, chile powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
7. Transfer the wings to a large bowl.
8. Pour the sauce on top and toss to coat.
9. Transfer the wings to a platter, sprinkle with some of the spiced sugar and serve. (Use any remaining spiced sugar to season roast chicken or pork.)