Hi Everyone! I am all about creating crafts and ideas that save time while planning for the holidays. Last week, I whipped up super simple place cards for your Thanksgiving table. This week, I’m whipping up an even easier craft that is perfect for your tree or your WDW Radio Holiday Ornament Exchange.
When I was in Disney’s Hollywood Studios in October, I came across a “Hidden Leota” in one of the shop windows around Echo Lake. And the photo I took of it inspired me to come up with this totally simple idea: a Madame Leota Ball Ornament!
If you want to make one, too, grab these supplies and let’s get started, together!
- A clear, fill-able photo ball ornament (or a holiday item where you can use the similar-style packaging in its place)
- A Swiffer duster refill (must be the regular blue one, not the yellow 360 one)
- A “Lited ICE Cube” from one of Dad’s specialty cocktails at the Tune-In Lounge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World (or similar)
- Double-sided tape
- A color clip art or photo of Madame Leota’s face from the Haunted Mansion attraction ~ any one you find online will do.
Open your photo ball ornament and remove the image contained in the packaging. I got my ornament at my local CVS/pharmacy for less than $5.00 (but if you use any ExtraCare Bucks and/or a 20% or 25% off coupon, this item could be close to free!).
On your computer, open your clip art of Madame Letoa’s face in Windows Photo Viewer. When you are ready, print on good quality laser paper (such as a photo-style glossy paper). Then set the following in color:
- Paper size: Letter
- Quality: 600×600 dots per inch (dpi)
- Select: Contact sheet (35)
- Select: Copies of each picture: 5 (or more, in case of cutting errors or making duplicates for gifts)
- Check box for “Fit picture to frame”
Next, cut your Swiffer refill in half, then trim only the excess white material. Fluff around the stitched portion to roughly the size of the ornament. Place this inside of ornament and arrange it to resemble hair.
Close the ornament and turn it over to open the opposite side. Grab your “Lited ICE Cube” and click its button until you reach the static blue light. Then slip it between the back of the Swiffer “hair”. (It’s OK if you do not have one of these Cubes. The ornament looks great without it as well).
Turn it back over to the front and re-open the ornament again. Closely trim Madame Leota’s face and affix to the desired portion of the “hair” using double-sided tape (Glue Lines or tape runners do not really work as well on this particular material).
Close ornament and hang from your tree.
And that’s it! Wasn’t this among the easiest crafts we’ve ever worked on together?!
This will be a third and final craft in my Haunted Mansion-themed series.
Now that we began decorating your tree, what will you come up with for your WDW Radio Holiday Ornament?
Enjoy your holiday and Happy Exchanging!
(Photos are by Fran Cassano.)
Fran Cassano invites us capture our own memories through Practically Perfect Disney Crafting… Break out the tools that have been gathering dust. And let’s figure out how, together!