“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.”
Welcome back, Disney fans, to the WDW Radio Disney Book Club! For this book, we will be reading together and sharing our experiences and thoughts about Ridley Pearson’s final Kingdom Keepers book, The Insider.
Last time, we examined chapters 1-9 of the book. Here is a recap of some of the questions as well as some thoughts from readers:
1. In Chapter 1, we read that Tia Dalma believes, “Who needs hope when there is hate to take its place.” (page 3) What would YOUR favorite Disney character have to say in response to this? Erin said, “‘Fate is kind, She brings to those who love, the sweet fulfillment of their secret longing.” Jiminy Cricket.”
2. In Chapter 2, Bert is amazed to see his favorite “Imagineer” Wayne Kresky. He believes “Albert Pujols or Kobe Bryant” would have less of an impact on him than seeing such an amazing Disney personality. Who is YOUR Disney “rock star”,who is you saw him/her, you would be starstruck? Why? Dzneychica responded, “I’ve had the opportunity to meet a few of my Disney idols, but the one that I would MOST like to meet is Bob Iger. My dream is to be able to learn from him and someday take over for him!”
3. In Chapter 3, we see Finn at his prom in Walt Disney World. If you could have (or have had) your prom in WDW, where would you want it to be? Why? Ruby responded, “My Prom would go throughout the entire Fantasyland! The theme would be (of course) ” happily ever after” and the Colors would be purple, pink and gold. Live music would be playing everywhere and you could go on horse carriage rides! The reason I picked Fantasyland is because it’s romantic and magical, exactly what my dream prom would be…<3”
4. In Chapter 8, Maybeck and Finn end up in a small library in the Archives, if you could spend only 10 minutes in the Disney Archives, what document would you want to see? Tara replied, “If I could only spend 10 minutes in the archives I would want to see any of Mary Blair’s artwork. Or some of the cels from ‘Snow White.’”
Share YOUR thoughts or respond to these at this link to last week’s questions. Each of the individuals quoted here will receive a WDW Radio Mystery Ticket. Watch your email this weekend for more information.
This week, we will be reflecting on chapters 11-15, pages 58-129 of the work. We have posted some discussion questions below. Please share your answers at our blog post. Three people who comment will receive WDW Radio prize packs and will see their answers featured in next week’s newsletter!
Without further ado, here are this week’s discussion questions. Feel free to respond to one, a couple, or all of them in this week’s book club blog post, linked here.
1. In Chapter 11, we read that Willa feels chills when she sees the logo for Walt Disney Imagineering. “She’s always wanted to be an Imagineer, ever since she learned about the creative team responsible for the attractions in the park.” What would YOUR dream Disney job be?
2. On page 73, each of the male Keepers’ interests in Disney is described differently: “Philby appreciates the technology. Finn likes the ‘magical’ side of Disney better–some things are best left unsaid and unseen. Maybeck’s artistic eye is drawn to the models.” With which character are YOUR Disney most similar??
3. In Chapter 14, the Keepers arrive in Disneyland and discuss a variety of attractions there. If you have been to Diseyland, what is your favorite part of the park? If not, what part would you most love to see?
4. Also in Chapter 14, Finn muses about how different it is to be in a park alone at night. If you could transport yourself to any Disney park after hours, which would you choose to be in and why?
5. Throughout these chapters, the Keepers struggle with being “downgraded” from v2.0 to v1.6. Think through some Disney attractions that have been “upgraded” over time. Which would be one where you would be okay with it returning to its former state? Which would be one you would NEVER want to return to its earlier condition?
Have fun… as you can see, you don’t have to be on the exact pages we are on to be able to answer! And be sure to join us in The Box next Wednesday to discuss one of these questions as a group!