Ice Cream

While it is possible, it is not likely that you just happen to be craving or eating ice cream as you are reading this edition of “I Have a Craving…”.  For you readers who enjoy the sweet, creamy, frozen dessert, perhaps the mere mention of it has you craving it.  If so, imagine, for a moment, that you are standing in the Magic Kingdom® Park (MK) at Walt Disney World® (WDW)near Cinderella Castle, and you have just purchased a world famous Nestlé® Premium Mickey Ice Cream Bar neatly wrapped in cellophane.  Now, think about opening and pulling the much anticipated treat from its packaging.  Picture how the humid Central Florida air forms a light frost over the smooth chocolate shell covering the vanilla ice cream Mickey silhouette.   Of course, not unlike reality, the fantasy of lifting the icy bar to your mouth includes the oh-so important decision, which one of the ears—right or left—will be the first bite.  As the vivid make-believe continues, your teeth crack through the chocolate coating, and you experience the blissful sensation of the firm yet velvety ice cream softening in your mouth.  Whether you were craving ice cream when you started reading this post or not, I bet you are now!

What follows is a sampling of the numerous locations and treats at Walt Disney World® that are waiting to satisfy you chilly desires:

Ice Cream Carts - Found in every park, the WDW ice cream carts stock the famous Nestlé® Premium Mickey Ice Cream Bar along with the popular Mickey’s Cookies ‘N Cream Ice Cream Sandwich.  While these two items can be found at almost every cart on property, other choices vary depending on location and include items such as Nestlé Orange and Cream Bar, Häagen-Dazs® Vanilla and Almonds Ice Cream Bar and others.

L’Artisan des Glaces – Located in the France Pavilion at Epcot®, this quick-service location is home to sixteen flavors of frozen creams and sorbets served in a variety of ways.  One flavor favorite is “Profiterole”, which is a twist on an actual filled French dessert pastry called a Profiterole (also known as a choux à la crème or cream puff), which is a crisp, hollow dessert pastry filled with custard, pudding, pastry cream, whipped cream or ice cream and typically topped with chocolate sauce.  At L’Artisan des Glaces the pastry and the chocolate are in the ice cream; hence, the flavor “Profiterole”.  Another much loved menu item is the incredibly unique Croque Glacé, which is any flavor of ice cream sandwiched in a warm brioche roll and served with chocolate or raspberry sauce.

Plaza Ice Cream Parlor – Situated at the end of Main Street, U.S.A.® in MK, this bygone era quick-service  ice cream counter bids park patrons come in and enjoy a creamy, frozen treat.  Here, guests can order a double scoop of their favorite flavor; indulge in a drizzle-covered, whipped cream topped sundae of choice; slurp up a hand-scooped float; or enlist a friend to help them devour one of the largest Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches you have ever seen.

Sleepy Hollow – Speaking of Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches, guests at this Liberty Square quick-service location can select their choice of ice cream flavor.  For more information on these treats, check out Kristin Cassagrand’s recent reviewSleepy Hollow also serves up a number of floats including three options made with iced coffee.

Spice Road Table Juice Bar – This walk-up counter is attached to the lakeside table-service restaurant, Spice Road Table, which is located in the Morocco Pavilion at Epcot®.  Here, a number of cool treats and drinks are offered on a menu that changes regularly as all flavors are chef created, and have included interesting choices such as Toasted Almond with Rose Water, Strawberry and Red Bean, Pistachio and Orange Blossom Water, Chocolate and Cinnamon  and Green Tea.

Beaches n’ Cream Soda Shop – Quite literally world famous, this table-service location at Disney’s Beach Club Resort is known for its decadent and outrageously large ice cream specialties.  Serving several flavors of ice cream and floats, it is the sundaes that steal the show.  Guests can choose from seven toppings and then watch as a heaping helping of whipped cream, toasted almonds and a cherry are added, or they can opt for one of the specialty sundaes: Milky Way Sundae, Fudge Mud Slide, No Way Jose, Classic Banana Spit, Apple-Cranberry Pie, Strawberry Shortcake, Brownie Á La Mode, Beaches Chocolate Cake, Grilled Banana Bread and Peanut Butter or the Kitchen Sink (made to serve four).

While the options listed above may be some of the most unique, notable or popular places to satisfy an ice cream craving here is a list of a few more you may want to check out:

•  50′s Prime Time Café – Disney’s Hollywood Studios® (DHS)
  • Aloha Isle – Adventureland® in MK
  • Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies – Tomorrowland® in MK
  • Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop – Downtown Disney®
  • Häagen-Dazs®at Downtown Disney® West Side
  • Happy Landings Ice Cream – Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon
  • I.C. Expeditions – Disney’s Blizzard Beach
  • Sci-Fi Dine Inn – DHS
  • Seashore Sweets’ – Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
  • Sunshine Tree Terrace – Adventureland® in MK

(Image © Disney)

What is your favorite ice cream treat at Walt Disney World®?  Please let us know in the comments section below!

Kendall began visiting Walt Disney World in 1991 with her family and has continued to visit the resort with her husband.  As a child, she and her family filled vacations with challenges such as “How many times can we ride Splash Mountain during SpectroMagic and the fireworks?” (Answer: 7)  Now, after marrying a converted Disney skeptic, she and her husband enjoy challenges such as “How many hours can we eat nonstop at the Food & Wine Festival?” (Answer: 4)

11 Responses to "I Have a Craving for Ice Cream"

1. BackintheMagic says:

It may not wow or delight with over the top style, but the ice cream selections at Storybook Treats in Fantasyland as a very near and dear place in my heart.

2. Maureen says:

My kids actually ran to Beaches and Cream as we were waiting for the Magical Express to pick us up for the airport. They had to have it “one more time” before we went home!

3. Joe says:

Well my family enjoys the Kitchen Sink with a few sides of French fries! It would not be a trip without enjoying Mickey’s Cookies’N Cream ice cream sandwich, Fudge Brownie Sundae (@ storybook Treats)
    Next time I would like try The Mickey Kitchen Sink Sundae! Has anyone tried it? Also look forward to checking out 50’s Prime Time and getting an Ice cream Martini in Epcot!

4. Kendall Foreman says:

BackintheMagic: I did not even think to mention Storybook Treats. Thank you for adding it to the list!

Joe: I read about the “Mickey Kitchen Sink Sundae” a couple months ago on the Disney Parks Blog. I love the cute little Mickey shorts-themed sink souvenir dish that comes with it! I have not tried it, but I think it is great that this option exists for those of us too chicken to try the original. For readers, this is available at both Beaches ‘n Cream and the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor.

5. May says:

One of my favorite activities of all of WDW is traveling to the French pavilion at Epcot and purchasing a Raspberry Schuss. As such, I am very surprised to know that ice-cream can be purchased at their quick service location – all of the options sound absolutely delicious!

My long-time favorite ice-cream related treat at WDW was the raspberry swirl sundae (can you tell I like raspberry?) served at the Enchanted Grove. Unfortunately, this location was often closed on my family’s trips to the Magic Kingdom, and, to be honest, I am not even certain if it is still in business/open.

To fill that void, I one day may have try some of the options you mentioned from Epcot.

6. May says:

Also, just out of interest… Are you aware of any specialty treats offered anywhere at the Animal Kingdom? To me, Disney World is the gold standard in tailoring everything sold/available to fit the various themes of each of their major parks. It would be interesting to know if they have any out of the ordinary items available there.

7. Joe says:

@ Kendall – Thanks for the info!

@ May – I think Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery (next to Tusker House) has some good treats! I would suggest Cotton Top Tamarin Cupcake, White Chocolate Elephant Cupcake or the Elephant Ear.

Yak & Yeti Restaurant – You could try the Fried Cream Cheese Wontons!

Dino Diner Treats – I would have to go with the Cinnamon Glazed Almonds and Pecans!

8. May says:

@ Joe – Thanks for the tips. I always have trouble saying no to a great Elephant Ear. I had no idea those were sold at Animal Kingdom!

9. Anne says:

My favorite snack cart ice cream treat “was” the novelty Hunchback Ice Cream Bar that later became the Hercules Bar… and still later was named after other subsequent movies. It was perfection on a stick. I feel bad for anyone who missed out on it. It was great! These bars were comparable to today’s Magnum Ice Cream Bars. Of course, the Hunchback bars were way, way better because they could only be bought at WDW. Everything is better there!

Many years ago, I also liked the refreshing strawberry sherbet and vanilla ice cream twist/swirl at the former Enchanted Grove. It was somewhat similar to the Citrus Swirl(orange slush and vanilla ice cream) at the Sunshine Tree Terrace (it’s good, too). To my knowledge, the strawberry/vanilla twist is not on the Cheshire Café menu? They should add it… maybe raspberry or pomegranate flavored would be interesting, too.

Another good post, Kendall. Thanks a lot, now I miss WDW and I’m hungry… again.

10. Kendall Foreman says:

Joe: Fantastic suggestions for May! You really know your Animal Kingdom treats!

May: The new L’Artisan de Glaces is actually located where the pastry shop was located. The pastry shop re-located to the former indoor seating area at the very back of the pavilion. This has really helped with how busy and crowded the pastry shop tended to be. I, too, remember the Enchanted Grove, and so does commenter, Anne! Now, as Anne said, it is called the Cheshire Café. Sadly, they do not serve the swirled sherbet and vanilla ice cream any longer. They do have a pretty good Raspberry Lemonade Slush, though!

Anne: I loved the strawberry/vanilla swirl at Enchanted Grove, and I wish they would either bring it back at the Cheshire Café or add it to the menu at Sunshine Tree Terrace. I agree that really any fruit flavor could be delicious.

11. Valerie says:

Great article! Can’t go to Beaches & Cream without ordering a Fudge Mudslide – yum! But someday we want to be brave and ask for the Kitchen Sink :) I’m also a fan of the Mickey Cookies n Cream ice cream sandwich versus the Mickey bar that you get a the ice cream carts but the best ice cream sandwiches are in Liberty Square – delicious!