This week in A Taste of Disney: Jolly Holiday Bakery Café in Disneyland®. This delightful little stop on Disneyland’s Main Street, U.S.A.® is dare I say it, “practically perfect in every way.” It is a perfect place to drop in during the day to grab a quick bite to eat or maybe even just a snack to hold you over standing in line for a ride. From simply seeing the cafe from afar, you know it is worth the stop. The outside is decorated with bright colors and the roof even has a fun detail: a Mary Poppin weathervane! When you enter inside, the fun continues as the walls are adorned with things that look like they are straight out of the Mary Poppins movie. You might even notice silhouettes of the Banks family and display cases of Mary Poppins trinkets! I should also mention the adorable penguin panel stained glass in the windows.
Now onto the food. This place serves unique menu items that you can’t find in other areas of the park. They serve things like quiches, Tomato Basil Soup with toasted cheese sandwich sticks, refreshing signature salads, and a collection of interesting sandwiches. Some of the sandwiches include the Chicken Waldorf on Brioche, Caprese – Tomato & Mozarella, and a Pastrami Reuben on Toasted Rye. They also serve Chicken Noodle Soup and a recent addition to the menu, the Cheesy Enchilada Soup! Jolly Holiday has a collection of assorted muffins, pastries, and cookies throughout the day as well.
Next time you’re on Main Street in Disneyland® , give this supercallifragilisticexpialidocious place a try! 😉
This week’s recipe is for Jolly Holiday’s new Cheesy Enchilada Soup and was recently featured on the Disney Parks Blog. The recipe can be found here….
Cheesy Enchilada Soup
Serves 6 to 8
5 yellow corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup corn
5 cups chicken stock
15-ounce can tomato puree
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon Tapatio hot sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons flour
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a 10-inch skillet. When oil is hot, add tortilla strips and stir until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
2. Cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, bell pepper and corn; cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken stock, tomato puree, salt, chili powder, pepper, sugar, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Whisk flour and water in a small bowl and stir into soup. Bring to a boil, then simmer 4 minutes.
5. Add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Stir in cream, sour cream, shredded cheese, and black beans.
6. To serve, garnish with fried tortilla strips and cilantro.
Kristin Casagrand is a student currently studying physical therapy at Bellarmine University. Born and raised in Pennsylvania, Kristin has taken many a family vacations as a child driving 24 hrs, cramped in the back of the car and fighting with her sister to get to Disney (definitely worth it though). She looks forward to sharing “A taste of Disney” with everyone each week.