Tonga Toast

In recent months, I have listened to my husband (and several of our friends and family members) lament the Main Street Bakery transformation.  He longs for, even mourns, the classic Chocolate Chip Cookie once served there.   While it is available at other locations on property, he insists that it is “just not the same”.   I am sure he would proudly confess to having eaten his fair share (and then some) of that specific cookie while strolling along Main Street, U.S.A.® in the Magic Kingdom® Park.  On several occasions, he has told me that those times were among his favorite moments there.  It is evident that he misses the overall experience almost as much as the cookie.

Whenever he brings up the Starbucks®/Main Street Bakery conversion (and how much he misses having that cookie, it is not long until I start thinking about my favorite WDW foods and which ones I would miss most if they were gone forever.

Regular readers of this series may recall that last year I addressed a somewhat similar topic in my post “I Have a Craving for Foods I Cannot Have Again at WDW“.  I have been known to shed a few tears over some gone but not forgotten favorites of mine.  Like my husband, not only do I pine for those items because they were delicious, I do so because they had become a part of my WDW traditions and memories.

So, just which foods currently offered at WDW would I most miss if I they were no longer available on my next trip.  Here is the list of my “Top 5 Foods I Would Cry Over”:

5.  Walt Disney World Cheese Danish

(Sunshine Seasons – Epcot® and Various Pastry Counters)

As I am sure readers remember, I recently discussed how the WDW Cheese Danish is, in my opinion, the greatest casualty of the Main Street Bakery refurbishment.  Lucky for me, it can still be purchased several places throughout the parks and resorts.  Click here to read all about my affection for this sweet and creamy pastry.

4.  Lemon Meringue Cupcake

(Be Our Guest Restaurant – Magic Kingdom® Park)

This is the dessert that led me to say I would drive all the way to Walt Disney World® just to have one.  Like the aforementioned Danish, this dessert was also the subject of an entire blog post last year.  To learn why I would be devastated if this classic pie-inspired indulgence were gone forever, check out the post here.

3.  Funnel Cake

(Sleepy Hollow – MK, Fife and Drum Tavern – Epcot®, Other Various Locations)

The wafting aroma of frying batter or dough is incredibly enticing.  While funnel cakes can be had at carnivals and fairs across the country each summer, there is just something extraordinary about those found at WDW.  The exceptional batter is fried to perfection and dusted with powdered sugar, drizzled with chocolate syrup or topped with ice cream.  Every time the scent of a funnel cake reaches my nose, I am immediately reminded of two things.  First, my powdered sugar-coated fingers and face as I enjoyed my first one at Blizzard Beach Water Park when I was a child; and second, sharing one with my new husband as we watched Wishes Nighttime Spectacular at the Magic Kingdom® Park years later.

2.  Pineapple Dole Whip

(Aloha Isle – MK and Disney’s Polynesian Resort)

Truly a rite of passage for any Walt Disney World® fan, Pineapple Dole Whip is more than just hype.  On a hot Florida day, it is a tart yet sweet, perfectly satisfying and refreshingly cool treat.  I have enjoyed at least one (usually more) on each of my WDW vacations.  I liken it to an attraction that I would not want to miss any more than I would Splash Mountain®, Pirates of the Caribbean® or the Haunted Mansion®.  For me, a trip to WDW would not be complete without it!

1. Tonga Toast

(Kona Café, Captain Cook’s, Room Service – Disney’s Polynesian Resort)

This indulgent breakfast entrée is prepared by stuffing a thick pocket of sourdough bread with sliced bananas, dipping it in a rich batter, deep-frying it, and coating it with cinnamon sugar.  Sweet strawberry compote completes the dish.   As delicious as Tonga Toast is to eat, my fondness for it goes beyond satisfying a food craving.  For nearly twenty years, it has held a special place in my memories of vacationing at Walt Disney World®.   When I was a child, my family’s stays at the Polynesian Resort were always topped off with breakfast at Coral Isle Café (now Kona Café).  Each time, without fail, my parents would order the Tonga Toast.  Meanwhile, my sister and I would choose something else only to beg for bites when the yummy toast arrived at the table.  These final moments together were the perfect way to end a wonderful week of memory-making.  My husband and I have continued the Tonga Toast tradition via room service as well as at the Polynesian Resort’s quick-service location, Captain Cook’s.  For its deliciousness as well as for sentimental reasons, Tonga Toast tops my list, and I would most definitely cry if it disappeared from the Polynesian Resort’s menus.

(Photo from the author’s personal collection.)

Which of the following guest favorites, if suddenly missing, would bring you to tears? (Select all that apply)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
 Why would you miss your choice(s) – because you so love the taste, because of the memories associated with it, or a combination of both?  Let me know in the comments section!

head shotKendall began visiting Walt Disney World in 1991 with her family and has continued to visit the resort with her husband.  As a child, she and her family filled vacations with challenges such as “How many times can we ride Splash Mountain during SpectroMagic and the fireworks?” (Answer: 7)  Now, after marrying a converted Disney skeptic, she and her husband enjoy challenges such as “How many hours can we eat nonstop at the Food & Wine Festival?” (Answer: 4)

15 Responses to "I Have a Craving for… Walt Disney World Foods I Would Cry Over"

1. Paul says:

My daughter Jessica insists on getting corn nuggets from Casey’s as soon as possible on every trip.

2. The Napoleon at pastry shop in France (EPCOT) Can’t live without it and yes I spelled EPCOT the way it was meant to be at least for me.

3. Lucy H says:

Chicken waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow in MK!

4. Jill Long says:

I Love the Mickey Ice cream…but there are so many favourites at Disney..food is a BIG part of our planning

5. Diane says:

I would cry over the classic Mickey Mouse ice cream bar if were to go away (How could they?!?!?!) from the offerings at the Disney Parks. They are simple, delicious and refreshing. I know you can get similar ice cream treats elsewhere, but there is just something inherently “Disney Vacation” to eating these Mickey shaped ice cream bars. Have to have one (or several) on each trip to the World. We even have a photo of my husband and me and our two boys sitting on a fence at EPCOT one night enjoying these delectable drippy delights…and we had each bitten off the same ear first. A classic Disney World vacation moment in time!!

6. Kendall Foreman says:

Paul: I have not had the corn nuggets, but Casey’s is a must-do tradition for us each trip. I have many memories of enjoying a Casey’s hot dog either in the bleacher seats or along Main Street.

George: My mother, too, loves the Napoleon from Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie. I believe the version that is served currently is a little different from what they had in the past. (Have you found that to be the case?) I have many memories of watching her enjoying a Napoleon while seated by the fountain or along the World Showcase promenade.

Lucy: I believe the waffle sandwiches are quickly becoming a new classic. I adore the Fresh Fruit and Nutella version, and had my list been a Top 10 instead of 5 it would have made the cut. I really enjoyed the Spicy Chicken version also when I had it for the first time on my last trip.

Jill: The top three on the list were definitely locked in, but I toiled over number four and five. It was difficult to decide which favorites would make my list. There are just too many delicious items and too many memories to go along with them!

Diane: What a wonderful memory! I agree there is something extra special about a Mickey’s Premium Ice Cream Bar.

7. Kendall,
    I think the Napoleon is great but my wife states that it is different. I guess your right because my wife is always right. And I mean that sincerely.
    Regards,
    George

8. Melanie says:

Mickey Ice Cream Bars! Can you beleive they are NoWhere to be found at Disneyland Paris!!! I know! How can these be Disney parks without a Mickey Ice Cream Bar! Crazy French! Also no Dole Whips nor Mickey waffles but the best doughnuts in the world. Those sort of made up for the lacking in other areas :-)

9. Anne says:

I would be absolutely devastated if the Popcorn were gone forever from WDW. It’s just perfect! There’s none like it anywhere else on the planet (except maybe another Disney park property – Disneyland, etc.). I have often told people that if there were just one food available for me to eat for the rest of my days, it would be Disney World popcorn. It’s so, so good! Yummy!

George McNeil, I agree with your wife. The Napoleon does seem different. Over the years, I have eaten an embarrassing number of servings of the dessert. It is my very most favorite dessert treat in all of Disney World. I noticed that it changed around 2009. It is still very,very good… just not quite the same. That’s just my opinion.

Gone but not forgotten. I will forever miss the lemon cake once served at Main Street Bakery.

10. Kendall Foreman says:

Melanie: I cannot believe that Disneyland Paris does not have the Mickey’s Premium Ice Cream Bars! I am so sad for them, no Dole Whip, no Mickey bars, no Mickey Waffles; I’m a little jealous of the donuts though!

Anne: I think the loss of WDW Popcorn would not only be devastating because of its wonderful taste, we would lose the fantastic and iconic smell on Main Street. That smell is a staple, and Main Street would not be the same without it!

11. Angela says:

POPCORN. For every trip to WDW, a lot of planning with the kids involves food, snacks mostly. We go there with the hopes of trying all the different snacks, but we always end up with popcorn! It so good, portable and great day or night. No drips and easy to share. We’d cry big ol’ tears if it ever left!

12. Megan says:

Dole Whip for sure – real tears! And it’s not a real Disney vacation without Mickey Waffles or Tonga Toast for breakfast!

And this is a little off the beaten path, but I LOVE the mahi sandwich at Contempo Cafe in the Contemporary! So good, and I’ve never found anything like it anywhere else.

13. Kendall Foreman says:

Angela: Great description “We’d cry big ol’ tears…”! I know my mom would be right there with you. For her it would be absolute devastation.

Megan: I love that you have a random favorite. I have not eaten at the Contempo Café for years (I’m talking before the refurb), but I keep hearing wonderful things about the menu options. I saw on the menu there is a “Mahi Sandwich” and a “Spice-Crusted Mahi Sandwich” which one is your favorite?

14. Megan says:

Kendall: I love the Spice-Crusted Mahi Sandwich – you should give it a try! I haven’t tried the Mahi Sandwich… given that it’s on the kids menu, my guess is it’s pretty much the same, but without the coleslaw and tartar sauce, but not sure.

15. Brandon says:

Being Canadian and also having worked at Le Cellier I would have to say that I would cry if the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup was gone.