/ Sunday, July 20th, 2014

extinct-restaurants-Walt-Disney-World-wdwradio

TOPIC: Walt Disney World has changed a great deal over the past four decades. It’s grown exponentially, adding a wide variety of new experiences, but growth also sometimes means that existing things are taken away. So this week, we will once again hop aboard my Walt Disney World Wayback Machine to look at the Extinct Restaurants of Walt Disney World. From the parks to the resorts, we will visit some eateries from the past, and some of Disney’s forgotten foods.

CONTEST: New Walt Disney World Trivia Contest

UPDATES: Watch and chat during our LIVE WDW NewsCast Wednesdays at 7:30pm ET at WDWRadioLIVE.com. Upcoming WDW Radio Disney meets, On the Road events and more! Get dates and locations on our Events page

Sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio show. Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

– Lou Mongello
LouMongello.com

QUESTION for YOU from this week’s show: What Walt Disney World restaurant or food item do YOU miss most? Leave your answer in the comments below!

LINKS:

Ryan Wilson’s Main Street Gazette

Please click here to Rate & Review the show in iTunes – Thank You!!

RSS
Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

27 Responses to "Show # 370 – Extinct Restaurants of Walt Disney World"

1. Richie says:

The shop in the Canada pavilion used to sell Canadian maple cookies… no more! Oh, how I miss them so….

2. Hello Lou,
    We wish they would bring back way back the Main Street Bakery. Remember Nobody doesn’t like Sara Lee. The vanilla cake with vanilla frosting OH MY!

George

3. GrumpyDad4 says:

Ariel’s restaurant at, I believe, the Beach Club. Great seafood dishes.

4. Diane says:

I miss the Odyssey restaurant in EPCOT. The food was not particularly remarkable, but the setting was wonderful. My family (my husband, our two young boys, and myself) would often sit outside looking across at the Imagination pavilion, the beautiful flowers along the banks of the water, and the passing monorail. We always felt like we were in the midst of it all, yet still removed. We still walk along the causeway there, remembering how it was years ago, and the special time we encountered Chip and Dale outside the restaurant and they played with our boys as if they were the only children in all of Disney World that day.

5. Brian says:

I miss the bread bowl clam chowder at Columbia Harbor House. The chowder is still good, but I miss the bread bowl.

6. Mari says:

Pizza from the Tomorrowland Plaza Pavilion. Was my all time favorite quick service stop as a kid!

7. Chuck says:

Loved Gurgi’s Munchies and Crunchies!

8. Andrea says:

Love the trip down memory lane. Does anyone also remember Michael Iceburg? Great entertainment where Sunny Eclipse is now.

9. Kim says:

I miss the trifle they used to serve at Le Cellier back in the mid 80’s.

10. Allison Blair says:

We wish the Odyssey would reopen in Epcot. It was our family’s go to spot for Lunch in the 1980s. I can still taste the chocolate chip pie and the toppings bar for burgers was awesome. It was such a large space that it needs to be utilized for quick service dining. It should be an Odyssey of Flavors with favorites from around the World Showcase like fish and chips, croque monsieurs, and cheddar soup. It seems Epcot is in need of more quick service dining and this could definitely help. Another idea could be Mickey’s Odyssey for a full service Character dining experience. Let’s make something awesome out of this cool spot not just a bathroom on your way to Test Track.

11. Kate says:

I miss Alfredo’s at Epcot! That was the best pasta ever!

12. Ana Kurland says:

Like George, I miss the Main Street Bakery. Our tradition was to order a cake in the morning of our first day, and eat it for breakfast and dessert during our stay. I think I have a picture somewhere of one of them.

13. Vicki says:

I loved the treats at the old Main Street Bakery.

14. Jody says:

So glad you mentioned the Adventureland Veranda–I loved that place! For a reboot, they should take a cue from Hawkers Asian Street Fare! http://www.hawkersstreetfare.com/

Also, I loved when Columbia Harbour House had a Monte Cristo sandwich. It was soooo gooood!

But the handwiches creeped me out for some reason…

15. Dave McC says:

It’s not a restaurant, but the coolest place I never got to see in person was the Monorail Club Car at the Contemporary. Different times…..

16. Sherry says:

Beaver Tails in Canada!! Miss those so much. Every time I walk past where the Adventureland Veranda was, I make a little sad noise. It was enjoyable food and the seating on the porch was so quiet and peaceful. As for the Odyssey, I used to time the meal so I would be ready to get out the door as soon as the World Showcase opened at 11 AM. Man, this podcast brought back a lot of tasty memories.

17. Jackie Diprimo says:

Ditto on the bread bowl for the Chowder at the Columbia Harbor House…miss it so much!

18. Anthony says:

Enjoyed the show. Though I think, Part II is needed. How could you do a show about extinct restaurants and not mention Bonfamille’s. Always loved that place.

19. Lou Mongello says:

Yeah… got LOTS of emails and tweets about Beaver Tails… And good call Anthony on Bonfamille’s!

20. David says:

With the Japan pavilion so dear to you, Lou, I’m surprised you did not mention the remodel that removed the Tempura Kiku and the Matsu No Ma Lounge. They were 2 of my favorites.
    Additionally, another area that you never really looked at was anything Downtown Disney not in the Marketplace. OK, there wasn’t much to report on closings. You got to the Empress Lilly, but I also miss, from the early Pleasure Island era, The Fireworks Factory.

21. Amy says:

I really miss the monte cristos that used to be served at the Columbia Harbour house. We would get them on every visit. So the first time I went to Disneyland in 2007 I made sure I went to the Blue Bayou so I could get some. We also make them at home but they aren’t the same.

22. Beth Anne says:

Okay I’m not sure the name of the restaurant but it’s now Fulton House I think (it’s a boat at downtown disney). Well in 1992 when I went to WDW for the first time (I was 6) the only way to have a character meal was to go to downtown disney and it was only for breakfast and it was on that boat restaurant (that was called something different). Interesting how character meals have changed!!

23. Allison says:

We still sniffle when we walk past the Columbia Harbor House and miss the monte cristo.

24. Alison says:

We really miss Tempura Kiku in the Japan pavilion as well. The food was good and it always felt like a secret place that not too many people knew about.

25. Jackie Revoir says:

Le Petite Cafe in France had the best dish! Crepes du hambone avec fromage. Game and cheese crepe covered in a mushroom sauce. I tear up just thinking about it. Loved the outdoor casual spot where no reservation was needed and the food was delicious!

26. Jeff says:

Not Necessarily major restaurants but more of location and food. I forget the name but it was a quick service location that was in the Contemporary in the old game room area just next to the front desk and one-time hidden movie theater. Second place was the make your own pizza in Crockett’s Tavern.

27. Tom says:

The one extinct restaurant our family really misses, and would bring back, is the Concourse Steakhouse which used to be in the Contemporary Resort. For at least 5 family vacations it was our first night treat, and during our stays we’d also eat breakfast or lunch there at least twice.