Anna and ElsaLet me start off this post by saying that I LOVE FROZEN! I saw it 3 times in the movie theater (don’t even ask me how many times I’ve seen it at home), had a big Frozen birthday party, and my sister and I CANNOT wait for Anna and Elsa to be on Once Upon A Time!  NOW to the real reason I’m here – today I am going to be talking about a subject that will make half of you estatic and the other half very disappointed. Recently, Disney announced that they are going to be replacing Epcot®‘s Norway attraction, Maelstrom, with a new Frozen attraction. People are going nuts about this, so let’s discuss!

The whole Norway Pavilion is be made over during 2015.  This has been a rumor for a while, but Tom Staggs confirmed it on the 12th. He says that the Frozen attraction “Will take guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film”.  There will be an area changed into an Anna and Elsa Meet & Greet, and we assume that the whole Norway Pavilion will have a Frozen overlay added to it. No exact dates for the attraction’s opening have been announced.

My opinion: To me, Epcot®‘s World Showcase is about discovering countries and learning about their cultures!  Now that they are changing Norway’s signature attraction into a ride inspired by a movie that  is located in a made-up kingdom is very disappointing.  I’m sure that it will  be amazing, (I’m expecting a generous amount of trolls), but I don’t think that Norway would like to be represented like that.  I’m sad I’ll never get to ride Maelstrom a last time.  And, also, kids don’t need Frozen rides to want to go to Epcot®.  That’s what people have been saying, but that’s not the case.  Things don’t need to be dumbed down for kids…we can handle it, really!  I think an Anna and Elsa attraction would be great in Disney Hollywood Studios® (so do my friends in the Jr. Imagineers), being that it is one of the most popular movies of all time!  Now 3 out of 4 Walt Disney World® parks have something Frozen related – keeping it in one land or park seems better to me!

(Photo ©Disney)

_____________________________________________________

Well you’ve defenitly heard my thoughts on the subject, but now I want to hear YOUR opionion! Here is a poll to see what you, the readers, think of this matter!

Do you think that Maelstrom should be replced with a Frozen attraction?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That’s it for today folks, but before I leave, here are my questions to you:

I know you’ve already voted with the poll, but tell me in the comments how you personally feel about this! No Frozen? Yes Frozen? Any questions or other thoughts? Tell me in the comments down below, I really want to hear from you!

Thanks for listening and have a magical day! – Ruby 8:)

#GottaGetMyEdu-tainmentOn!

Ruby is a twelve year old Disney fan, and she credits her mom with starting her early love of Disney. In addition to her enthusiasm for Disney, Ruby enjoys singing and writing. She will be reviewing Disney-related topics that are of interest to younger Disney fans—and their parents and grandparents!

Comments

comments

17 thoughts on “Disney Girl: Why I Think “Frozen” Shouldn’t Be In World Showcase”

1. Lizzie says:

As a Disney Teen who loves Epcot like no other, I can’t express how much this upsets me. It’s partly because of the reasons you listed, about how it’s already in two other parks and how Epcot certainly doesn’t need to be “dumbed down” for kids. It doesn’t. I grew up with a completely different Epcot and I MISS IT. I learned so much as a kid going through attractions such as everything in World Showcase, The Living Seas, The Wonders of Life and of course, my personal favorite, Spaceship Earth. I don’t see a point in putting Frozen in Norway, no matter how “unpopular” Malestrom was. But mostly, I think, for me at least, Imagineering has to prove something to me this time. I’m not a huge Little Mermaid fan. I enjoy the movie, but it’s probably not even in my top ten. However, I had great expectations for Ariel’s Undersea Adventure and when I first experienced the attraction (at Disneyland in 2011 and then at WDW in 2012), everything seemed great, up until the ending. The entire climax was missing, causing me to feel like the bottom dropped out of the ride, so to speak. The scenes leading up to Kiss the Girl were all wonderfully done, but after Kiss the Girl, it just…ended. It left me feeling off and confused, especially since that first time, I hadn’t seen the film in ages, meaning I honestly couldn’t remember how it ended. I left that attraction more confused than ever, and then promptly went and watched the film in an attempt to remember what the attraction was missing. I guess I’m just terrified this will happen with Norway and Frozen as well, where they focus just a little too much on the music and not enough on the spectacular storyline that is in the film, not to mention the strong connection between sisters. I’ll wait to see what Disney is planning for this one, but I’m certainly with the majority here, not happy at all about the closing of our beloved Maelstrom.

2. Kim Pidermann says:

You have stated my opinion perfectly. I hope that this is not a sign of changes to my beloved Epcot World Showcase and what it has always represented. The new Frozen (I’m a fan, too) belongs at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

3. Noelia says:

I am so sad, so very sad to see how Disney parks slowly turn into 6 flags or any other common theme park, leaving way behind the magic that made Disney the number 1 entertainment destination in the world. I mean, attractions like Dreamflight (which changed into some boring nonsense about buzz lightyear) Maelstrom and Backlot Tour are either extinct or on their way to. I still remember Horizons, and World of Motion, two amazing, educational, entertaining rides that don’t exist anymore. Everything is changing into cheap nonsense in the hope (I should imagine) that the parks could keep up with modern products.
    But come on….. couldn’t Disney just have built Buzz Lightyear somewhere else in the park and leave Dreamflight intact? For once, another ride shouldn’t be a expense so big that the park can’t cover it, and secondly adding rides instead of refurbish them would easy the lines at the parks.
    Soon, Disney World will not be worth the price of the entrance and more important, would not be worth an airline ticket for the millions of visitors from overseas. I am already and officially abandoning Universal Parks forever, because like Disney, they killed good attractions like Jaws, and added lots of big-fall, adrenaline-rush attractions that I don’t enjoy riding. If Disney disappoints me too the next time I travel, like they almost did this last time, then I might be saying good bye to florida altogether. A total shame.

4. Zoe says:

I think that this was a great subject to write about. I think it would be a good idea to put a Frozen ride in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom, but seriously in Epcot?!? Epcot is a place to learn about cultures not a movie.

Sincerely, Jr. Imagineer Zoe

5. Reid says:

I am glad this change is coming to Epcot. Things need updating. The majority of Epcot has been stuck in some time bubble and nothing changes except a few new restaurants and changes in live entertainment. Maelstrom, while fun, has been unchanged since it has opened. Disney is not changing the pavilion into 100% Frozen; it’s just the attraction.

World Showcase is stagnating. I am looking forward to this and hope more changes will follow.

6. Brad says:

Listen to Lou’s podcast on this… He has a great perspective. Remember that Frozen drew great inspiration from Norway, so I think that is a perfect fit.

It also takes the World Showcase back to Disney. You can have a happy mix of Disney Characters and a world showcase.

7. Lisa says:

I agree with you completely. World Showcase is about real food, culture and history. Arondelle is FICTION. I know Frozen is popular and Disney needs to cash in but put it somewhere else and update World Showcase to reflect current culture and history.

8. David says:

As someone that has been to Disney over 30 times, a DVC Member, been through Disney Institute training on multiple sides including working with them in a consulting project, I have no objection to Disney placing Frozen in Norway. I can honestly say that having been to Epcot so many times, Norway and Maelstrom is not on my must see/do list. Things that are on my list are attractions that are fairly recent like: Soaring, Test Track, Mission Space. I get it with reference to the culture, nostalgia and the comforting feeling to go back and see things the way you remember them. Walt once said about Disneyland “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” I think Walt would have wanted to see Epcot grow and change as imagination changes and continues to dream. How many years should we continue to watch films created for these attractions with poor resolution, marks on the film when we have much higher definition, 3D, etc.

9. DisneyGirlRuby says:

Hey Lizzie!! I read your blog, it’s really cool! And yes I agree with your thoughts exactly on the little mermaid ride! I feel like this is what happened with the three caballeros and Donald… I don’t like it. I love Mexico and the ride is cute but not how it used to be. Thanks for commenting guys 8;)

10. Darryl says:

Frozen was big at the box office. Therefore, Frozen must be well represented at the parks.
    I have been saying for months that Disney should repurpose Maelstrom into a major Frozen attraction. It fits perfectly at Norway in EPCOT. I think Disney needs to make this attraction a major headliner and not a cheesy little tribute. The guests will applaud!

11. Mary Ann says:

I don’t mind the Three Caballeros because they were from a film that was ABOUT Latin America. The REAL Latin America. It is very easy to still see Mexico in the ride. But Arendelle is fictional. And only BASED on Norwegian culture – sort of ( Elsa’s snow dress is certainly NOT). So I wonder if Norway is still sponsoring the pavilion? Will the shop be filled with Frozen stuff like the shops over in DHS? Will we even refer to that part of World Showcase as Norway anymore or will it be referred to as Arendelle?

12. Dave says:

I’ve always been a big fan of Maelstrom, but its time for a change. My real concern is space. Lil’ old Norway is going to be overwhelmed with the hordes who must experience Frozen the Ride! It’s already shoulder to shoulder in that space during peak season due to the Akershus (Gesundheit!) Princess Dining, the Bakery and the Maelstrom. Unless Norway is completely flattened and redone, I think it’s a pedestrian traffic nightmare waiting to happen.

But in Lou I Trust, and Lou trusts the Imagineers, so lets see what happens. I’m personally excited that, after spending $1 Billion on Magic Bands and MyMagic+, we are finally seeing some investment in attractions!

13. Marc says:

Epcot’s World Showcase needs to be updated. I feel that the Frozen upgrade will bring many more people to the Norway Pavilion to explore the culture. I did enjoy Maelstrom very much and as a nostalgic person will miss it. Overall I feel that Frozen in Epcot will be a homerun for World Showcase.

14. Stacey says:

I’m reserving judgment. Epcot has been infused with character meet and greets throughout World Showcase for many, many years. No one complains that Aladdin & Jasmine are in Morocco. I’m looking at this from the perspective that Maelstrom was no longer a headliner attraction and needed some updating. I think everyone is amped up over this because Frozen is just so all-consumingly huge, and let’s face it, the Norway space isn’t that big to begin with. How on earth will they accomodate the crowds is my bigger concern (insert involuntary shudder here).

I confess I was sad when Anna & Elsa meet and greets were in Norway and guests were permitted to go get in line there at rope drop because I absolutely adore an early visit to Akershus where my family can literally stroll through World Showcase without the crowds. The pictures I have from those walks are priceless…just like an early reservation at Cinderella’s Royal Table. Putting an attraction is definitely not an illogical decision, I just hope they can pull it off. As long as whoever was responsible for the Imagination Ride is not heading up the project, I think all will be well ;-).

I have faith in Disney Imagineering!

15. Karon says:

I was at Epcot last week and after seeing complaints that Frozen took over the stave church in Norway I took a look. I hadn’t been in there in years as nothing about the exhibit in the church had changed in years. Yes, it is Frozen themed but the movie is used as a way to introduce a lovely collection of folk art and antiques from Norway. I particularly like the section on the bunad which is the traditional folk costume of Norway and how it influenced the costuming in the movie. I think the people I heard complaining that the church no longer had anything educational and was all Disneyfied never bothered to actually go in and look at the exhibit.

If they keep that combination for the attraction – the characters and animation that people love combined with the real Norway that it is based on – it will be a success.

16. DisneyGirlRuby says:

Mary Ann- Norway isn’t sponsoring the pavilion anymore. And I assume that the gift shop will be filled with frozen stuff too.

17. I wish especially to address the comment by Reid. Things may not seem updated at EPCOT because most, if not all, the countries/cities represented are old and haven’t changed. They are there to inform us about, and perhaps make us want to visit, other countries. And, yes, an introduction to those cultures; very few countries change as much and/or as rapidly as does the U.S.A. They are old and beautiful in their architecture and and their costumes. I too, hate to see this attraction changing, and EPCOT taking one step toward becoming an amusement park, which it certainly seems the direction corporate Disney is taking it. If Disney is about storytelling, then each world showcase tells the story of its nation. I’m sorry Norway could not afford to refurbish its pavilion but that’s no excuse for turning it into a movie showcase. I feel/KNOW that Walt would not be happy. Frozen, as a movie is great but it too will fade somewhat in people’s love and minds. Something else will come along to take it’s place–then what? Change the attraction again?