Disney-Legend-Mary-Blair_wdwradio

As Disney prepares to induct a new class of Disney Legends during the upcoming D23 Expo, this week I’ll begin a new series where we focus on the life, legacy, and talents of some of the Disney Legends who have contributed to the films, parks and overall magic of Disney. This week, we’ll begin the series as we look at one of Walt Disney’s favorite artists, Mary Blair, whose amazing use of color and design contributed to Cinderella, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, it’s a small world and much more.

Watch and chat during our LIVE WDW NewsCast Wednesdays at 7:30pm ET at WDWRadioLIVE.com. Upcoming My SnippetsWDW Radio Disney meets, On the Road events and more! Get dates and locations on our Events page WDWRadio.com/Events

Save Money on your next Disney vacation with my new book 102 Ways to Save Money For And At Walt Disney World. Get it in print or take it with you anywhere with the digital copy, full of links to shows, videos, web sites and other resources. And get 40 FREE things to do, eat, collect and enjoy as well. Get your copy now at Disney102.com

Sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio show. Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

– Lou Mongello
LouMongello.com

QUESTION for YOU from this week’s show: What is your favorite Mary Blair piece of art, work, etc.? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Links:

d23-expo-live-square

patreon

Tomorrowland Audio Tour Magic Kingdom Walt Disney World Lou Mongello

102-Ways

Please click here to Rate & Review the show in iTunes (with instructions) – Thank You!!

Comments

comments

8 thoughts on “WDW Radio Show #415 – 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Disney Legend Mary Blair”

1. chris g says:

By far the Mary Blair Mural in the Contemporary.

2. Chuck Zitta says:

What a great show. I would have to say, being a designer, I’m not sure I have a “single” favorite piece of Mary Blair artwork. Her graphic style and use of vivid color is very inspiring to me. But, if I had to choose one, it would have to be the It’s a Small World attraction – simply because it’s more than just a static 2 dimensional piece of artwork. You are actually “inside” a world that Mary Blair created that is full of motion, color, and of course, that wonderful song created by the Sherman brothers. Go ahead, you know the words…

Yes, more Disney Legends please. Thanks again Lou for the hard work you put into each and every show. As a Disney fan, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

3. TJ says:

Love the show! I was wondering which version of it’s a small world is playing around the 2:36 mark? I don’t think I have it and I’d love to download it!

4. Debbie Vietzke says:

My last trip to WDW we stayed at the Contemporary and I bought this MagicYourBand cover and just love it. It’s beautiful and even though it’s not advertised as Mary Blair – you can see that it is. http://www.magicyourband.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=contemporary

5. Cait says:

I am so glad to see this episode, I have been having a very Mary Blairy week! I just rented the Cinderella diamond edition blu ray dvd and watched the movie for the first time since I was a kid and of course all the special features. As I watched the movie my jaw kept dropping at the incredible backgrounds and art direction. I am new to Disney fandom, but so far Cinderella is my favorite Mary Blair work, both the concepts and the eventual movie scenes that were inspired by her genius.

6. Allie says:

Love her concept work for Icabod Crane & the Headless Horsemen, but Peter Pan is equally beautiful as is everything she does. She is literally one of my favorite illustrators. I love how Disney gathered so many talented people & recognized their strengths.

7. Suzanne says:

Thank you for another great show! My budding artist daughter and I enjoyed it very much. it’s a small world is my favorite Mary Blair project, as you get to be “part of her world.” And thanks for the nod to my iPhone case!

8. i have loved her work for decades (i am an illustrator and her work has always inspired me). one of the biggest regrets of my life was passing up an original mary blair concept sketch from the baby ballet. it was about 25 years ago at one of the disney conventions. $750 was a very large sum of money for me at the time and it was agony to pass it up. stupid, stupid, stupid…