Disney Springs - disney

With Downtown Disney‘s rebirth as Disney Springs, the entertainment, shopping and dining center has been given new life. By the time renovations are complete, the number of locations within the complex will double from 75 to over 150. Each new offering brings with it unique opportunities to try new foods, purchase rare finds and enjoy exciting entertainment.

Much like Disney Springs, there is a television show in the ABC lineup which introduces new foods and unique products all while entertaining viewers. In case you missed it, Shark Tank has become ABC’s surprise Friday night hit. Known for being a ratings wasteland, Friday night is often referred to as the “death slot” and is typically reserved for shows destined for cancellation. Instead, Shark Tank drew in 6.5-7 million viewers during its most recent season. Whether that is due to the entertaining banter of the Sharks, the joy of seeing the “little guy” succeed, the schadenfreude derived from watching a goofball blow a deal, or the infomercial like quality of viewing new products, clearly, America loves Shark Tank.

Considering that Disney is the parent company of ABC, why not bring Shark Tank to Disney Springs and capitalize on the cult-like obsession with the network’s popular show? Imagine a location known as The Tank, where Disney Springs visitors would be given the opportunity to purchase products from entrepreneurs that made deals with the Sharks. Of course, the décor in The Tank would mimic that of the show’s set, and all the shelves would be lined with items like Scrub Daddy® (scrubbers), Mission Belts (ratchet belts), Mo’s Bows (bowties), Biaggi Zipsaks (luggage), The Painted Pretzel (treats), Wicked Good Cupcakes, ReadeREST (eyeglass holders), Drop Stop (auto seat gap blocker), Zipadee Zips (wearable blankets), and more. Needless to say, it would have to be exciting for a successful Shark Tank entrepreneur to know that their product was being featured at Walt Disney World, a destination where millions of people from around the globe flock to vacation, dine and shop.

In addition to offering guests the opportunity to purchase Shark Tank products, the shopping area could be adjoined to a Tom+Chee dining location. Tom+Chee started as a food tent in Cincinnati, Ohio. So popular, this small business situated on the square quickly grew to multiple restaurant locations known for bringing unique grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soups to the city. In 2013, during season four of Shark Tank, owners Trew Quackenbush and Corey Ward pitched their gourmet menu and shared their grilled cheese donuts with the Sharks.   Mark Cuban and Barbara Corcoran were quick to make a deal, and since then Tom+Chee has expanded to over thirty franchise locations in sixteen states. The quirky and inventive menu items partnered with its casual and quick style make Tom+Chee an ideal dining location for the trendy, on-the-go shoppers visiting Disney Springs.

An exclusive to Walt Disney World location would present a unique opportunity to bring television directly into the real world. Fans of the show would certainly enjoy a visit to The Tank, and Disney Springs guests that have yet to view an episode of Shark Tank just might become regular viewers.

(Image ©Disney)

What do you think, readers? Would you visit The Tank if it came to Disney Springs? What dining or shopping location would you like to see come to Disney Springs?

KendallKendall is an editor and contributing writer for WDW Radio.  She began visiting Walt Disney World in 1991 with her family and has continued to visit the resort with her husband.  Her home-away-from-home is Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, and she believes a perfect day at WDW includes a dip in the Lava Pool, a ride on Splash Mountain and a Pineapple Dole Whip.  Follow her on Twitter @kl_foreman

Comments

comments

13 thoughts on “Why isn’t “Shark Tank” coming to Disney Springs?”

1. I like the idea in that it sounds more original than all the franchises they are putting in there. Disney Quest I think is the last remaining attraction that isn’t a franchise AFAIK, and it is turning into an NBA thing. I’m more of an EPCOT style attraction guy, things that are not based on movies and TV. And ya, not a fan of a Frozen going in there. If she’s still singing Let it Go, she may want to look into some counseling.

2. Jay says:

Tom and Che is located across the street in Crossroads plaza and is about 1 mile from DTD right in front of one the Main entrances on 535

Its always yummy ,busy and would’ve loved to see it come to the Springs.

3. William Bragg says:

Sounds like the As-Seen-on-TV type store, but classier. I wonder if they’d be able to get all the Sharks to agree to it. I like the idea because we do get excited when we see something in the store that was on Shark Tank…and it doesn’t happen that often.

4. Chandler ?=^) says:

I like the idea that Kendall wrote about. It’s a great tie-in, just like most everything at WDW. I don’t mind the tie-in.

I came to the article, however, looking for and answer to the question posted in the title. I thought she was going to tell us why it wasn’t going to happen, like there was a press release from Disney or something.

Maybe enough WDWRadio fans will forward this to the Disney Springs executives — I mean — Imagineers — and one will come soon.

5. Jeany Sanchez says:

I think that it’s awesome Idea to bring Shark Tank to Disney Springs awesome idea!

6. Wilson Miller says:

No, I definitely would not go to anything like that. Watched part of one episode of the T.V. show and had no interest of watching any more.

7. Kendall Foreman says:

Jason: I think many of the additions to Disney Springs sound very interesting, but there are several that I am unsure about. Many sound very, very niche. I think they would be fascinating to browse, but I wonder how much merchandise will actually be sold.

Jay: I was unaware there was a location that close. I agree that it would have been better for them to locate within Disney Springs.

William: Since the Sharks are so business/bottom-line minded, I think they would jump at the chance to have products featured in a location with such broad exposure.

Chandler: I did not mean to deceive with my title! I was thinking about it from the standpoint of “Why haven’t the Imagineers thought of this? Why isn’t this something the Imagineers are including?” – not that I had discovered inside information, but I can see how it might seem that way from how I worded it.

Jeany: Glad you like the idea! I love the show!

Wilson: I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the show. I know some people dislike the banter of the negotiations. However, even if you do not like the show, you may still enjoy some of the featured products. I know some people who have purchased the products without ever knowing they were on Shark Tank.

8. Crissy S. says:

To me, this idea is absolutely brilliant!!! I’m not impressed with the majority of stores at Disney Springs, but I would be excited to go to this one. Please contact them with your idea!!!

9. stadalberts says:

Please, I do not think that it is really necessary to attract any more bodies to this area. You can barely move there now, and it’s not even finished yet! It’s a NO vote for me.

10. Anne says:

Love this post, and the idea that prompted it! I would definitely go to the store and the restaurant. Without question, my vote is a whopping big “YES”.

I have purchased some of the products you mentioned and some you did not. My husband wears the Mission Belt every single day, and owns more than one. He says that they are the best belts he has ever owned and will not be without one. Also, he greatly appreciates the company’s “Mission.” If you haven’t heard it already, you can read their story at missionbelt.com. I really wish that Wilson had seen that episode. Who knows? He might have liked what those guys are all about, and then became a fan of the show and some of the entrepreneurs, too.

I have not been to a Tom + Chee, yet, but I am all-in when cheese is an ingredient!

I really wish that Disney and the Sharks had thought of this idea before Disney brought some of the other franchises to Disney Springs. Maybe the powers that be will hear about this on twitter and consider it. That would be AWESOME!

Great idea, Kendall.

11. May says:

Good one. Shark Tank is one of my favorite programs. It would be neat to see many of the successful products all in one place. The store could even have specific sections dedicated to each Shark and their entrepreneurs. For this reason, Tom Chee is one franchise I could actually get behind being at Disney Springs. Maybe now that Walt Disney World will have the “NBA Experience” on property (yay!) Mavericks owner Mark Cuban can use his connections to negotiate getting a Shark Tank store front at WDW.

12. Richie says:

I think the show would be a great addition…

13. Dusten says:

Remember those towels with a slit so kids could put their heads through to use as a cover-up after swimming. Those came from a lady that was on Shark Tank and got help from one of the sharks to get her towels for sale in Disney water parks, you can now purchase them there.