Where would Walt Disney’s classic animated character ensemble The Fab 5 be without Goofy? Besides being down a member, The Fab 5 would be missing an often unflappable, good humored sport who repeatedly shows audiences worldwide that despite the bumps and bruises of everyday life, a good sense of humor is the key to surviving. Since his first appearance on the big screen, Goofy has been keeping his fellow animated friends on their toes and audiences in stitches. Originally acting as only an ancillary character, it wasn’t until Goofy’s popular “How To” short cartoon series that his popularity soared. It only seems fitting that his height of popularity was during the tumultuous 1940’s and 1950’s when audiences around the world most needed a reassuring laugh.
It can be so very easy to take the Goof at face value – a lanky, uncoordinated and often sloppy individual. But this good hearted, comedic character truly is much more. Disney artist Art Babbit said it best when describing Goofy – “think of the Goof as a composite of an everlasting optimist, a gullible Good Samaritan.” And if we are being truly honest with ourselves, every group of friends could use a Goofy. So, let’s peel back the layers and see how much you know about Goofy. Don’t forget to check back next Friday for answers and more trivia!
1. Goofy first appeared as Dippy Dawg in what Walt Disney animated cartoon short?
A. Chain Gang
B. Band Concert
C. Mickey’s Revue
2. Goofy made a total of ____ appearances as Dippy Dawg?
3. What year did Goofy’s name become official?
4. Goofy’s first solo cartoon was released in what year?
5. Which Disney animator is most regarded for the creation of Goofy?
A. Card Walker
B. Ward Kimble
C. Art Babbitt
6. Who was the original voice of Goofy?
A. Pinto Colvig
B. Walt Disney
C. Clarence Nash
7. How many Goofy cartoons were nominated for Oscars?
8. How many Goofy shorts were released in the 1960’s?
Erin Stough has always loved Disney, but the magic of the parks truly captured her imagination during a mother-daughter trip in 2001. The fire was ignited and Erin hasn’t looked back! When she isn’t devouring Disney related books, Erin spends time with her wonderful (and patient) husband and super pup Milo.