Haunted Mansion Hallway 12Haunted Mansion Hallway 13
Join the WDW Radio Blog in welcoming Mike!  He recently shared some amazing pictures with Lou of a renovation/decoration/Imagineering project in his home, a Haunted Mansion hallway.  Needless to say, we here at the WDW Radio Blog were incredibly impressed and jumped at the chance to share his amazing endeavor with our readers. Read on to see and hear from Mike about bringing the magic home!

Why the Haunted Mansion load area?

“I chose the hallway because one of my favorite parts of the Haunted Mansion is the load hall area, because there, it feels like you are really in a big old mansion. I always admired that part, even though not much is happening there.”

What was the hardest part?

“I dubbed this project (The Project from H*##) because it was extremely hard and back breaking to do. I don’t think I could do it in another room. Also, I really didn’t have a pattern to go by. It was all done on the fly and by looking at and studying pictures. We all know we can’t be at Disney all the time, so I needed things to pacify myself between trips to the parks. So here is my answer.” (Click on the thumbnails below to see a larger gallery of the work in progress.)
“The hardest part to replicate were the big and little demon faces. I had to keep cutting wood until I got the right shape I wanted. I got lucky a few times and got the right shape and angles by accident. They still aren’t exactly like the real thing but they’re close. It took me about 3 months of working almost every day to get the hallway finished.”
Haunted Mansion Hallway 7 Haunted Mansion Hallway 8 Haunted Mansion Hallway 9 Haunted Mansion Hallway 10
“I found the wallpaper online a few years ago at Designyourwalls.com. Disney must have gotten it there also because that was the only place I could find it online. Don’t think it’s available anymore.”
Haunted Mansion Hallway 11

What’s next?

Haunted Mansion Hallway 14Haunted Mansion Hallway 15

“You’ve heard of a Theme Park, well how about a Theme House! I got the idea of making each room of the house into a different theme. It really doesn’t have to be a Disney theme, although mine mostly will be. Each room you go in will be like a different land. It won’t be the same boring theme throughout the whole house. I would encourage everybody, especially Disney fans, to try and do the same thing in their houses. Think of how much fun that would be!”

(All photos from Mike’s personal collection and used with permission.)

Do you have a Walt Disney World-themed area in your home? Do you like Mike’s impressive design? Let us and him know in the comments section below!

Comments

comments

15 thoughts on “WDW Radio Listener turns part of his home into the Haunted Mansion!”

1. Louis Passauer says:

I have always thought about doing each bedroom themed to a different Walt Disney World Hotel. One bedroom could be in the Polynesian Theme etc.

2. Chip says:

I turned the creepy leaky basement of my old house into a huge POTC tribute, complete with skeletons and burning effect. Would be happy to share.

3. Scream! Or Sugar says:

This is amazing! I’m curious to know, what was the name of the wallpaper pattern used?

4. Mike says:

Scream or Sugar, the wallpaper pattern is called Victorian Damask Flocked wallpaper. Designyourwalls.com has other of the same type but not that color anymore, but maybe you can call them and see if they can order more.

5. Mike says:

Louis & Chip, ya’ll have the right idea about theming the rooms in your houses. It’s the way to go! Chip, please get pictures of your Pirates of the Carribean themed basement published here on wdwradio. We would love to see it!

6. James F says:

FANTASTIC JOB MIKE!! All that hard work paid off. If only the wife would let me build a Tower of Terror theme!😜

7. Mike says:

Thanks James. Would you believe I have an idea for a TOT themed room, but dont have anymore space to do it! I always liked the lobby , library & boiler room area! If I had the space, I would do one of those 3!! James, talk your wife into it!

8. Mary W says:

Mike’s Haunted Mansion Hallway Project looks even more incredible in person !!!! (I am Mike’s sister)
    As far as myself, I’ve already bought a room of furniture from The Contemporary renovation, several years ago, and several room items from The Polynesian. My projects won’t be as detailed as Mike’s but it will still give you the feel & memories of being at our 2 favorite resorts.

9. Mike says:

LOUIS, sorry I meant to respond to you to. Thats the idea,turning each room into a different resort theme. My sister and her husband turned one of their bedrooms into the Polynesian resort theme. Go for it!

10. Bret says:

Great Job Mike. Thanks for sharing the pictures. That is so cool. You did a really great job. I’m sure you will enjoy it every time you walk down the hall. I have a Disney Themed room and that’s the only way I can get my Disney fix is by going to my Disney room also.

Thanks Lou for running this article. I love seeing what other people have created. There are some really talented people out there!!!

11. Martyn says:

Wow – what a great idea – well done Mike . It looks awesome and well worth the work you put in . Nice 1

12. Missy says:

Awesome job Mike! I’ve got to see it in person one day. Your periscope friend in Louisiana

13. Mike Vidal says:

Thanks all, for your nice comments about the hallway! It was tough to do but well worth it! Decorate your houses with your Disney passion! You CAN do it!

14. Joe B says:

Awesome job! that room is so cool! You did a fantastic job!

15. Michelle AKA Frennin says:

Wow Mike!!!! That’s amazing !! You’re so talented ! Can’t wait to see what you do next 😄