/ Monday, September 12th, 2016

460-moments-in-disney-history-we-wish-we-could-witness

So many moments in Disney history have defined and shaped not just the movies and theme parks, but pop culture, moviemaking, family entertainment, and so much more. This week, we’re going to imagine we could go back in time, and discuss those Moments in Disney History We Wish We Could Have Witnessed…. I think you might be surprised at some of the events that made the list… and I’ll want to hear what is on the top of YOUR list as well.

Call the Voicemail with a question, comment or “Hello!” from the parks – 407-900-9391

Join me for my LIVE video broadcast and chat Wednesdays at 7:30pm ET at Facebook.com/LouMongello.

Get dates and locations about upcoming WDW Radio Disney meets, On the Road events and more on our Events page

Sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s episode of the WDW Radio show. Thanks for listening! Be sure to tune in next week!

Let me help you build your brand and business and turn your passion into your profession!
LouMongello.com

Join me for the Momentum Workshop Weekend in Walt Disney World!

Use discount code wdwradio30 and SAVE 30% off your ticket!

Momentum-Header

Momentum Workshop Walt Disney World Lou Mongello WDW Radio

wdwradio-mongello-disney-ebay-auctions

QUESTION for YOU from this week’s show: What moment in Disney history do you wish YOU could go back in time and witness? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Click here for more Moments in Disney History from the WDW Radio Blog.

pattern

Please click here to Rate & Review the show in iTunes (with instructions) – Thank You!!

Trivia Contest Entry Form

Verification

Get the Latest from WDW Radio Delivered to You Each Week!

Comments

comments

9 thoughts on “WDW Radio # 460 – Moments from Disney History We Wish Could Have Witnessed”

1. Chuck Zitta says:

OK, here’s my “1” small list.

For the most part, my list was generated from the perspective as a spectator/outsider; barring #6. And was generated quickly, as you’ll see.

Here are 10 on my list of many:

1. Premier night of Snow White. (Had this down before I even started listening to the show (LOL!)

2. Grand Opening of Disneyland

3. 1964 Worlds Fair to experience Small World and Carousel of Progress

4. 1971 Grand Opening of WDW

5. Grand opening of Epcot

6. PL Travers at Disney Studios with the Sherman Brothers, the day she finally apprecicated their music during the making of Mary Poppins

7. MGM Studios Grand Opening

8. The day it was announced that Walt had passed. (I was too young to remember). I want to remember…

9. Grand opening of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland

10. Grand opening of Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland (with Marc and Alice Davis?)

Thanks again for another fantastic show, Lou, Alisa and Louis!!!

BONUS ANSWER: I would take Walt to Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner. He seemed like a man who enjoyed simple, American food. I truly believe he would get a kick out of the kids activities. And the ketchup too! Another choice would be Hoop-Dee-Doo.

Love the ending <3

2. Chris G. says:

My moment would be similar to your final moment Lou.
    But slightly different.
    I would want to spend a day with Walt at Disneyland.
    Not as a entrepreneur or business man but as a father.
    I would love to see how Walt himself would spend the day
    with his kids enjoying the place he created for families to enjoy
    together.

3. William Bragg says:

Great episode Lou, Louis, and Alisa. What a fantastic topic.

Here are my top five moments…Lou stole my “lost weekend”:
    1) The first day on the job for Eisner and Wells must have been like a couple of kids in a candy store with so many untapped possibilities.
    2) Ashman and Menken presenting the music for Beauty and the Beast as Howard Ashman was passing away.
    3) Walt asking the Sherman Brothers to play “Feed the Birds” for him.
    4) Walt in Marceline, MO after his mother told him to refund the money from a failed show that he presented when he was child. A fantastic learning experience of the cost of not providing what was promised.
    5) Lou Mongello starting his Walt Disney World podcast for the first time when he reported to Deanna, after what I understand to be a couple of hours in the basement, that the listening audience was sticking around.

Eating with Walt…Blue Bayou in Disneyland or Pecos Bill in Magic Kingdom.

4. Terri D. says:

I would want to watch the expression on Walt and P.L. Travers’ faces when she told him Dick Van Dyke was all wrong and that she wanted him replaced and Walt said (basically) “There is nothing you can do now. I own the movie.” I would’ve loved that.

5. Bobby Friedman says:

I would take Walt to the brown derby, because he frequented it back in the day.

6. David Tarnoff says:

¡Ay, caramba! What a show! To be honest, it wasn’t until I started listening that I understood the depth of the topic, and then I couldn’t get enough. An unexpected result of listening to tales of Walt Disney history was that I am inspired to start brainstorming new ideas for growth with my own team.
    Oh, and each time I thought, “Well what about the time when…,” one of the three of you would bring it up. And then you’d go and bring up another event that I hadn’t even thought of, but that I immediately fell in love with.
    I did have one time in the past, however, that I would like to go back to see. I would love to see Walt doing his sketches when he was in France with the Red Cross. There’s something that intrigues me about genius being born. What is it that connects a person with their passion?
    Oh, and a side benefit would be that I could be there to punch the person in the face who first offered Walt a cigarette!

7. I left my main comment on a voice mail (hopefully it’ll make the show) and Lou & co. mentioned almost all my others, but here are my honorable mentions:

1) Standing on the street corner in L.A. the moment young Walt first stepped off the bus from Kansas City. It’s immortalized in statue form, but to witness that actual moment would be special.
    2) To be around Walt as he defended the “Concert Feature”, i.e. Fantasia, to his detractors and to be there as he collaborated with Leopoldo Stokowski and the animators as they decided which classical pieces to include. It was such a passion project for him, I’d love to watch him at his most electric.
    3) Walk past the fire station at Disneyland, and see Walt serenely watching people go by from the window of his apartment.
    4) Be with Walt in New Orleans as he found the mechanical bird, see him become fascinated with how it worked, and see the beginnings of modern audio-animatronics.
    5) Find any way to convince Walt to stop smoking, or at least see a doctor much earlier than mid-66, to possible stave out the terminal lung cancer he developed. How much better might the world have been if he’d been around even 10-15 more years?

8. Emily says:

Great show topic, Lou! I’m so happy you went with the park bench because that is exactly what I thought of right away! I would have loved to have heard his inner thoughts about creating his own park for parents and children! I also would have liked to walk into the opening day of Disneyland with him.

9. Ricky Kirkland says:

In response to the question at the end of the Podcast regarding where I would take Walt for dinner.
    I think it would be Chef Mickey’s. Not a fancy meal, but one I think he would enjoy. He would love to see all the families together having fun. I think he would like seeing the monorail come through and being able to see the Magic Kingdom from the restaurant. Mostly, I think he would just have fun !