Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Are Disney resorts really worth it? in the Ask The Experts forums; I'm going to Florida in April or July for a week and a half. My parents are computer challenged , so I do all the vacation planning. I want to ...
    jfm7391 is offline A-Ticket holder

Are Disney resorts really worth it?

I'm going to Florida in April or July for a week and a half. My parents are computer challenged , so I do all the vacation planning. I want to know if spending the extra money at a Disney resort is really worth it. What are other alternative resorts that are close to Disney in general? What are some sites that might provide discounts or special deals for Disney resorts?
    Why must we pay to experience the magic?

I got it! Let's all hide in caves of TSI tomorrow! I'll bring the nachos.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    In one word, YES! Disney resorts are worth it.
    If you don't want to spend a lot, look at the value resorts, watch for discounts and/or book through AAA, and consider an Annual Pass for a week and a half stay.

Main reasons why resorts are so worth it:
    - transportation: convenient, frequent bus service (along with other forms of transportation like boats and monorails) to get you to and from the parks quickly and easily. If you have a car, you get free parking at the theme parks, a $10 per day savings.
    - Extra Magic Hours: an extra hour in the morning or up to 3 hours in the evening at a park - more hours to play means you can be more flexible in your schedule. Especially in the crowded, hot summer, having more hours after dark when it cools down a bit can go a long way. This works best with a Park-Hopping ticket.
    - Disney Magic: never having to leave the Disney property means never stepping out of the magical environment created for you. Plus, you never leave the Disney quality and service.

Alternative resorts, you could consider the hotels of Hotel Blvd. At one time these were considered 'Disney' resorts, but now are more like the stepchildren. They have their own buses that drop you off in the charter bus parking lots, but they are walking distance to Downtown Disney.

For discounts and news on specials, I always use www.mousesavers.com. If you book through Disney or a travel agent and a better offer comes out later, they usually can apply the code to your reservations.

Good luck and happy planning!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

turkeymama is offline Christmas Shopping Rules!
    Yes, everything she said! We have stayed only at Pop Century which is the most recent addition to the Value resorts. We very much enjoyed both our stays but if we weren't traveling with small children (and weren't quite so concerned with $$) we would upgrade to a moderate at least.

Another advantage to staying on site, when you shop at the parks you can have your packages delivered to your hotel. I know this may seem small, but holding on to all those bags can get really old.

You will definately save money in the long run by staying on Disney property though.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    Walt Disney

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post

Main reasons why resorts are so worth it:
    - transportation: convenient, frequent bus service (along with other forms of transportation like boats and monorails) to get you to and from the parks quickly and easily. If you have a car, you get free parking at the theme parks, a $10 per day savings.
    - Extra Magic Hours: an extra hour in the morning or up to 3 hours in the evening at a park - more hours to play means you can be more flexible in your schedule. Especially in the crowded, hot summer, having more hours after dark when it cools down a bit can go a long way. This works best with a Park-Hopping ticket.
    - Disney Magic: never having to leave the Disney property means never stepping out of the magical environment created for you. Plus, you never leave the Disney quality and service.
    Yes Disney property is worth it because your in the middle of the magic

hafrase is offline All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Staying on property is DEFINITELY! worth it. I've stayed both on and off in the past few years, and on-property is far more conveneint and easy. You don't have to worry about driving anywhere, you get to go into the parks early or late, you have the felxibility of sending packages to your room, you don't have to worry about parking, the bus system is reliable and convenient, plus you get opportunities to do other fun things.

For example, the last time I was there, we stayed in the Contemporary.... as we were taking the elevator up to our a room, a cast member got on the elevator and pushed the button for the concierge level. We asked her if she worked up there and what it was like... so she told us to just come on up and see. She let us go out on to the balcony and take photos with the MK in the background and answered all of our questions about the California Grill and the services they provide. If we hadn't been staying in the hotel, we probably wouldn't have had that opportunity.

Also - I know form experience that Disney takes care of their resort guests. Both of my parents fell ill during their anniversary trip last year, and once we spoke with the cast members about it, they gave my parents free tickets, cleaned the room, found some crackers and soup, and were really friendly and helpful!
    You can dream, create, design, and build the most wonderful place in the world... but it requires people to make the dream a reality.
    ~Walt Disney

iluvdisney is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Yes the resorts or so worth it. It makes it more magical and they are amazing places.
    Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

butch61 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Disney resorts are the perfect holiday/vacation!
    You really do get away from reality as you are wrapped up in a fantasy world!
    Last edited by butch61; 12-29-2006 at 11:58 AM.
    Disney Magic Forever

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'd like to echo what everyone else has said. There are lots of reasons that staying in the resorts is verymuch worth it. I used to stay off property and I still do when I can't find a discounted rate, but i MUCH prefer staying onsite. Its so easy to just hop the bus, great to have the magic hours, fun to have Mickey and Stitch wake you up in the morning and great to be surrounded by the exceptional Disney level of commitment and service the whole time. I've only stayed at value resorts but I LOVE them. Definitely highly recommended.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    All i have to say is, Yes they are worth it. Its great being so clost to the magic on property. I love it, and highly recommend it!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I haven't had the chance to stay on Disney property yet, but from everything I've heard I'm deffinately going to on my next trip. The convenience plus all the "perks" are so gonna be worth it.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Staying on property is totally worth it. Besides all the perks mentioned above, you have free parking at all the parks. So, if you didn't feel like taking the bus, you could take your car. That makes it easier to hop from one hotel to another, as well.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Disney05 is online now Premium Annual Passholder
    If you want the full Disney immersion, gotta stay at a Disney resort!
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    magical express, bus service, easy access to parks (monorail, walking, boats, international gateway), everything focused on the magic

in one word.... YES!!!!!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Absolutely worth it. We went on a 2 family trip with my sister in law who is a notorious tight wad and she refused to "spend that much" on a room. We stayed on International drive at a chain hotel, had to get ourselves to and from the park, had to find restaurants and were so frazzled from traffic and driving and scheduling meals for seven different tastes, it was fun in the park, other then that it was horrid. Definitely spend the few extra dollars for the Resort rooms. Also, we had a really, REALLY bad experience at Seaworld, I will never, ever, ever go there again so save that money.

jfm7391 is offline A-Ticket holder
    What happened at Sea World?
    Why must we pay to experience the magic?

I got it! Let's all hide in caves of TSI tomorrow! I'll bring the nachos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast