Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Disney Copyrights in the Ask The Experts forums; Okay experts that have Disney websites, books, and other items. Do you know the rules? I want to start a business making and selling things and want to make sure ...
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

Disney Copyrights

Okay experts that have Disney websites, books, and other items.

Do you know the rules? I want to start a business making and selling things and want to make sure I play by the rules. I know using images of Mickey and such is totally out of the question, but what about ride names?

For example, say I wanted to make a craft project like a frame. The frame is designed so someone can put a photo of say them on Space Mountain. I want the frame to say Space Mountain and maybe have so generic space elements on it.

Is that okay? Or do I need to contact someone at the Disney Co to get answers?

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Surf the Disney websites, and if you see a , or , or ™
    then I would not touch it. But to be safe, I would check with Disney.

JackSparrow7 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Certain attractions such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Rock N' Roller Coaster and a bunch of others are copyrighted, but their are many that are not including the Haunted Mansion, Mission Space, Test Track among others. Keep in mind that it appears that all of the parks except Disney-MGM Studios are copyrighted but that's probably because Disney and MGM are each copyrighted separately anyway.
    -Tommy-

It seems like I'm going to have to contact them. Anyone know who I should try and talk to? I can't seem to locate any contact information.

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    if you will be making money by it i would talk with disney about it. Im not to sure they are going to let you do that.
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Definitely contact. It's best to get it from a direct source, and Disney gives you a lovely little handbook of what you CAN and CAN NOT use as well as what you CAN say and CAN NOT say.

Better safe than (lawsuit) sorry!
    Tina

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    Yup whats the worst that could happen if you contact them... They will just say NO WAY ARE YOU CRAZY!!! lol jk jk... did you check out the disney.com site... That might have something
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    My teachers at school had a problem sort of like this we wanted to put You've Got A Friend In Me lyrics on the back of our yearbook but I don't think Disney would mind since its already all over the internet

Walt Disney is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks_ahoy View Post
    My teachers at school had a problem sort of like this we wanted to put You've Got A Friend In Me lyrics on the back of our yearbook but I don't think Disney would mind since its already all over the internet
    Their lawyers would. You could quote a small portion of them, but I think publishing the whole lyrics would be a copyright violation.
    Mickey is the mouse that made me the man I am.

Visit the Disney Cast Member Nametag Museum!

moulds is offline C-Ticket Holder
    What about selling your own photos of the park is that illegal
    Don't miss out on the fun....
    Join The WDW FANS CLUB!!!!
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/fo...9948#post259948

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney View Post
    Their lawyers would. You could quote a small portion of them, but I think publishing the whole lyrics would be a copyright violation.
    From what I understand you are correct....but then the whole copyright thing is still very confusing to me!

So I finally got somewhere in my research. I found contact info on where to report violations of Disney's policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney.com

The Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries own the intellectual property rights to the characters, brands, titles and properties popularly associated with the Disney name and with Disney's affiliates. This includes a large number of titles, characters and other elements from Disney's television programs, feature-length motion pictures, animated productions, publications, games and music.
    Disney takes the enforcement of these rights very seriously. We protect these rights so that we can continue to provide quality entertainment that measures up to the standards that our audience has come to love and expect. We welcome reports of suspected infringement of any of these rights. Please direct reports to us via one of the following methods:

Email: tips@disneyantipiracy.com

Voice Mail: 818-560-3300

Mail: The Walt Disney Company
    Antipiracy Group
    500 South Buena Vista Street
    Burbank, California 91521-0644

So maybe I can use this address to find out what you CAN do.