Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Solo trip and dining in the Ask The Experts forums; Has anyone here ever taken a solo trip to WDW? I have had time alone on trips, but never gone totally on my own. So, I am thinking of taking ...
    GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!

Solo trip and dining

Has anyone here ever taken a solo trip to WDW?
    I have had time alone on trips, but never gone totally on my own.

So, I am thinking of taking a tour - that will be fun.
    But was just thinking I would eat when I was hungry - you know, counter service and what not. Definately taking my all star mug (don't give me grief, I JUST bought it!).

So, would you ever schedule a sit down meal where you would be seating by yourself? I don't think I would do a character meal, but maybe a restaurant where I had never eaten and wanted to try it out???

Thoughts?
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I've never done a solo trip. However, I do know there are some restaurants where you can eat at a bar so you at least won't be at a table by yourself. Though....I think these are the signature dining places.

DH and I dined at Flying Fish's bar a few weeks ago. We chatted with a really friendly bar tender. He gave me the leftovers of someone else's daquiri after he poured them their glass. The man next to me was by himself, but kept to himself so I didn't try to engage him in conversation.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I've done the solo trips and dined solo at places like Kona Cafe, Le Cellier, Teppanyaki, Boatwrights, and a few others. It can be a little awkward at a table for one, but after doing it once it really didn't bother me. For one thing, I think I actually got to enjoy the food instead of either inhaling it because somebody had to run somewhere right after dinner, or having it cold because a kid needed yet another potty stop in the middle of the meal.

Some restaurants have community seating (Teppanyaki - or at least it did before the renovations - sat you at tables of 8, the Biergarten has long communal tables if I remember right, so does the Luau at the Poly) which are nice for solo travelers. Mama Melrose's has tables so close together they might as well be one big table. In the other restaurants, I'd chat with the wait staff a bit, and if I really felt bored I'd pull out a Walt Disney World Trivia Book or a guide map and read a bit, or jot down some notes in my travel journal.

Tours are great for the solo traveler, and many of them end just in time for lunch so it's easy to find somebody to grab a bite with. I had a fabulous lunch at the Mexican Cantina with a mother & daughter I met on the Undiscovered Future World tour one trip.

What is so nice about doing your first solo trip to Disney World is that it's a place you feel so comfortable (and safe) at, and there is always something there that you wish you had done or tried but couldn't with the spouse/kids/parents/etc along too. Getting to actually do those things is one sweet feeling!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    What a fun idea..bravo to a solo trip. I live a short drive from WDW and have there have been many many times when I wanted to go but could not get a group together...you may have inspired me to just go on my own!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I had to dig a little to find it, but here's the trip report from the second of my solo trips: http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ead.php?t=2359.

I've now done a total of 4 - May '04 was the very first and very solo, as I wasn't even a DWT member back then. I stayed 3 nights and took 3 tours (OVERLOAD!), lived like a queen on the old 'silver' plan, and had the most amazing time.

May '05 was the first time meeting up with DWT friends. After that were MouseFests '05 and '06, but even though I traveled alone I would hardly call them 'solo' trips - too many friends (old and new) to hang out with Still very nice having the hotel room all to myself those trips.

There are so many people now on DWT - both local to WDW and who travel there - that quite likely you can find members/friends who would be interested in meeting up for a meal, a tour, or just to ride a few attractions together. It totally changes your WDW experience, in a good way. I definitely recommend trying it some time!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    All throughout High School I did "Solo Trips." Basically my parents had business in FL, and dropped me at Disney when the parks opened, and picked me up w hen they closed. I always ate at counter service by myself.

However besides from eating, I loved the solo trip aspect that I had. I loved being able to do whatever I wanted, not having to check with a group, etc.

And if you do want someone to meet up with, I'm only 20 minutes away, so just PM me and give me a couple days notice! :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

dbm20th is offline D-Ticket Holder
    When I am eating alone, I generally like to find a good bar to sit at. There tons of them all over WDW. Check out the BW amd YC/BC bars, or WL. I usually find it more comfortable to be alone at a bar then sitting at a table staring into space
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."

Mouse Extra
    determined to feed the Disney Addiction
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Another place that has a good place to sit is Wolfgang Pucks in downtown Disney. They have a bar where you can sit and watch the chefs cook right infront of you. Its pretty neat to see and helps from feeling like you have no one to talk to... you have a live cooking show... and the food is excellent!
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

Never really staring into space at WDW, there is way too much to see - some GREAT people watching. I may take the bar seating into consideration. But I think I may just stick with counter service places for this trip. I will have a couple of books with me - so no issues there.
    Hoping to hook up with some DWT people at some point in time and maybe we can have a meal?

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
    Never really staring into space at WDW, there is way too much to see - some GREAT people watching. I may take the bar seating into consideration. But I think I may just stick with counter service places for this trip. I will have a couple of books with me - so no issues there.
    Hoping to hook up with some DWT people at some point in time and maybe we can have a meal?

"hook up"??????

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    "hook up"??????

Southern slang for meet....get your mind out of the gutter!@

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
    Southern slang for meet....get your mind out of the gutter!@

Just checking....same term...different slang in Michigan!

Yup, so not that kind of trip...unless Goofy - NO, not that kind of trip.
    Really, just kidding with that, just kidding, I don't like Goofy like that, we are just friends - who is Max's mom anyways?

LMMEO

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    I am going for my 1st ever solo trip in March
    I am planning on doing just CS meals, maybe bar sitting.
    I am doing the Pirate & Princess party, backstage tour @ AK, getting a spa treatment @ SSR, relaxing by the pool

Good for you!!! I decided to skip the pirate and princess party...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast