Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Am I seeing things? in the Ask The Experts forums; While copying my WDW planning videos to DVD I've noticed that they show pyrotechnic fountains and spinners in the World Showcase during Illuminations. Having only seen Illuminations from the other ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Am I seeing things?

While copying my WDW planning videos to DVD I've noticed that they show pyrotechnic fountains and spinners in the World Showcase during Illuminations. Having only seen Illuminations from the other side of the lagoon I have no idea if this is true, or only a Disney special effect for the videos. Anyone know for sure? I bet Lou does.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    I believe I remember seeing them during the Millenium Celebration, but I don't remember seeing them afterwards.

I can always check the video I have on my computer to make sure when I get home later.

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    i know i have this on video somewhere... i'll have to dig it up and check it closely

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    The two top pictures at the following link (of a postcard of course) show scenes which I have always assumed were "staged or manufactured" just for use on promotional materials,
    http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/epcot/50065.jpg
    <http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/epcot/50065.jpg>did they ever do fireworks back behing World Showcase like the ones shown behing the Italy and American Pavilions here? Also the small size of the "crowd" in front of the spinners (are these like the ones you saw in the video?) fairly screams staged photo. Would they want fireworks so close to the buildings on such a regular basis? If nothing else I would think that would create a lot of wear and tear with frequent repainting needed. Any insights on this?

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    For special times of the year they do shoot stuff off AA. I know they did some extra stuff for Y2K but not really sure what.

jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am not quite sure what you guys are talking about, but 10 years ago when I went to Disney I went on this trolly thing at night, and it was like cartoon character parade. It wasn't real people, it was like being in a cartoon. Some real neat special effects. What was that and will I be able to see that again?
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I'm having a hard time putting what you are describing to a ride...some of the "dark rides" sort of meet this description, the closest that comes to my mind immeadiately is Snow Whites Scary Adventures, do you remember which characters were featured, or any other details?

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

jennifer4321 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    It wasn't at night at all. We got put on some trolly and it was some sort of animation thing done at night. It looked just like you had cartoon chartacters from cartoons standing about 10-15 feet away from you.
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'June 11 2005 12:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Walt Disney World</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Going to Disney!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>Jennifer4321