Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss roy disney in the Ask The Experts forums; what happened to roy disney?...
    peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder

roy disney

what happened to roy disney?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Which Roy Disney? Roy O. Disney, Walt's brother, or Roy E. Disney, his nephew?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    The Younger Roy, Roy E Disney is back to coopereating with the company, I don't think he is planning on going back on the board, but he has had some publicity photos taken in the parks recently (november or so) related to the release of the True-Life Adventures (which he worked on Early in his carrrer) on DVD, someone had some pictures of him in the Magic Kingdom on Flicker from when they saw him in the park around that time.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Roy E. Disney filed for divorce from his wife Patricia on Friday, ending their 52 year marriage.

Read the whole story here...
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Holy cow! At the age of 77 after 52 years......um, why bother? IMHO I think that's crazy.

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    sorry i was referring to Roy O. Disney

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Roy O. Disney was about to retire when Walt passed away. Instead, he stayed on to helm the Disney company and complete Walt's last dream: the Florida Project, that we now call Walt Disney World because Roy insisted on the name.
    He passed away just a few months after the Magic Kingdom opened, on December 20, 1971, at age 78.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    A couple more things about Roy O Disney,

1. When Walt Disney Wrold was being built some older steam locomotives that were just being retired from service were purchased from a narrow gauge rail company on the yucatan peninsula in Mexico, these were to be refurbrished for use on the WDWRR around the Magic Kingdom, when the first engines were being put into service they were named in hounor of Walt's wife Lillian (The #2 engine Lilly Bellle), Walt himself (The #1 engine Walter E. Disney), and the fellow who had the closest working relationship with building the first fleet of Disney locamotives for Disneyland Roger Brogie (The #3 engine the Roger E. Broggie), Roy insisted that he did not want an engine named for him and so long as he was alive his wishes were respected, but the last engine had some serious frame work to be done on it and with all the other work being done to get the parks up and running it had to be put on the back burner for a while, by the time it was ready to go into service Roy O. disney had passed away, and so it was decided at that point that it was only appropriate and right to name it for him since he had given up his own retirement to make sure his brothers dream was put into place.

2. Theres a statue in Town Square of roy sitting on a bench with Minnie Mouse beside him. I never thought that walt and Roy looked alike, but a lot of people must since it seems that frequently people mistakenly refer to it as being Walt.

3. There was a period of a time between the building of Disneyland and the beggining of what would become Walt Disney World, when Walt and his brother Roy weren't on speaking terms. As a guy in charge of so many of the financial matters of the company Roy had let Walt know that having a seperate company that owned various parts of Disneyland ( W.E.D. enterprises I think it was) such as the monorails, (and I think the steam trains) and then that company in turn getting the profits from those attractions, wasn't going to fly with the shareholders, and these attttractions needed to be brought into the company. Walt was resistant, and although Roy had good sense about it I can see how Walt must have felt. He put EVERYTHING on the line, poured a lot of his own PERSONAL monies into the building of Disneyland, sold his vacation home in palm springs, borrowed against his life insurance, and so on to make Disneyland a reality, then when it was successful he couldn't have some of the profit? no wonder he was upset but eventually he saw that Roy really had the best interests of everyone in mind, and once Walt realized that they worked out a deal where WED enterprises was sold back into the company to become the basis of what many of us know as Walt Disney Imagineeering, when the deal was finalized in 1965 a seperate company was formed Retlaw enterprises that continued to "represent Disney family interests" in relation to the company... I think this may include revenues from the company relating to the use of the "Walt Disney" name.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe View Post
    Roy E. Disney filed for divorce from his wife Patricia on Friday, ending their 52 year marriage.

Read the whole story here...
    Sorry to hear/read that. I wonder who will get all those 16,000,000 shares of Disney stock?
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 01-22-2007 at 05:43 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property