Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Hotels Sold Out in Feb? What's the Deal? in the Ask The Experts forums; How can it be that the resorts are sold out for the beginnig of Feb.? Two weeks ago I booked a trip to WDW when Jetblue offered $69 fares each ...
    eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Hotels Sold Out in Feb? What's the Deal?

How can it be that the resorts are sold out for the beginnig of Feb.? Two weeks ago I booked a trip to WDW when Jetblue offered $69 fares each way. My wife and I could only go for a weekend so we tried to book the Contemporary. Normally we stay at Wilderness Lodge but since we were going for only 2 nights, I thought I could afford a monorail resort. Well, Disneys website was not working properly, as usual, so I I had to call. I was shocked to find out that it was sold out.

When I asked the cast member on the phone why, she said that the beginning of Feb. is offered to Florida residents as a discount time. She went on to say that they had an overwhelming response this year. As much as I love the Wilderness Lodge, I was in the mood for a change so I tried the Polynesian, Grand Fla., Yaht and Beach, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. All but AKL and Wildeness were sold out and she told me that they had only a few rooms left at the Wilderness!

I asked her if this was happening because I was only going for 2 nights thinking that sometimes hotels want a minimum night commitment (Las Vegas is famous for this). She checked and entered a longer stay but that wasn't the problem. Then I asked her if the hotel was fully staffed during slow months. She didn't know but thought that was unlikely.

If you ask me, I bet they reduce the number of hotel staff and open fewer floors. For example, in the Contemporary, maybe they only have staff for 5 floors rather than all 15 (I think it's 15) to save money. Does anyone know? Could it be possible that they really are sold out?

Thanks,
    Darren
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Think its because alot of northen schools spilt their 2 week easter vacation....an now give the kids a week off during presidents week in february

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Oh great! Don't tell me the parks will be packed when I go. I was thinking I was going at a good time.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

TinkerBell702 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I have been trying everything to book a hotel on the 16th a Feb. and all I can get is Saratoga and Wilderness Lodge to show up fpr like 8oo plus. I have tried FL Res. AP, FL resident and regular rates. Someone from reservations said tons of conventions and tons of North-easterns on a week vacation at this time.
    Annual Passholder.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Contemporary was also sold out first week of December, maybe it's every first week of the month?

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    If they told you it was sold out, it was sold out. Disney wouldn't lie to you on the phone--they want your money instead.

This year has been kind of weird so far, and I do know that this time in February is a discount time for FL residents (especially passholders). When I say this year has been kind of weird so far, I mean that every time I go, it is supposed to be a "down time" but instead it has been REALLY crowded. The tour groups are coming earlier and earlier, and I see at least 3 whenever I am in the World.

ALSO, about the conventions thing-yeah, there are a ton. This is the time of year that all the cheerleaders and other competitive teams are there until May, I think my manager said. Probably a bunch of businesses are having conventions too--I heard something on the radio about a convention at Saratoga Springs.
    Last edited by aeronautxearth; 01-26-2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add on
    Tina

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    The Contemporary doesn't have its usual number of rooms right now because of a refurbishment to the north wing.

So, there's only the Tower and the south wing rooms available. As for crowds, I know that the early year "lull" ends at President's Day weekend every year.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Disney will sometimes "limit" the number of rooms that they have available to cut down on costs and staff. Try calling back because I've already called about 6 months in advance, and they have been full. Then I happened to notice and advertisement online for a special rate for the hotel I was calling about, and I called back, and they did have rooms available.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

snuffieslady626 is offline A-Ticket holder
    A lot of Floridians only have "seasonal" passes. Blacked out through the late spring & through summer. ( WE Floridians already know what HOT is & don't usually invite more misery by going to a park with 5 million others to share the "fun"of 108 in the shade! LOL) So this is the best time for us to go. Not too hot & no big holiday or holiday weekend to draw out of state visitors. We are going to Sea World the first weekend in Feb, just for that reason. Unfortunately, you will probably have to stay "off site". Go to the Kissimme St Cloud visitors web site & look for a room there. We found one for all 8 of us (2 families) that is a 3 bed room 2 bath for 165 a night. Not bad for a 3 bed 2 bath. (Just stay away from FANTASY WORLD CLUB VILLAS!) Good luck & have fun!
    This is your badness level.

It's unusually high
    for someone your size.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeinthesky View Post
    How can it be that the resorts are sold out for the beginnig of Feb.? Two weeks ago I booked a trip to WDW when Jetblue offered $69 fares each way. My wife and I could only go for a weekend so we tried to book the Contemporary. Normally we stay at Wilderness Lodge but since we were going for only 2 nights, I thought I could afford a monorail resort. Well, Disneys website was not working properly, as usual, so I I had to call. I was shocked to find out that it was sold out.

When I asked the cast member on the phone why, she said that the beginning of Feb. is offered to Florida residents as a discount time. She went on to say that they had an overwhelming response this year. As much as I love the Wilderness Lodge, I was in the mood for a change so I tried the Polynesian, Grand Fla., Yaht and Beach, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. All but AKL and Wildeness were sold out and she told me that they had only a few rooms left at the Wilderness!

I asked her if this was happening because I was only going for 2 nights thinking that sometimes hotels want a minimum night commitment (Las Vegas is famous for this). She checked and entered a longer stay but that wasn't the problem. Then I asked her if the hotel was fully staffed during slow months. She didn't know but thought that was unlikely.

If you ask me, I bet they reduce the number of hotel staff and open fewer floors. For example, in the Contemporary, maybe they only have staff for 5 floors rather than all 15 (I think it's 15) to save money. Does anyone know? Could it be possible that they really are sold out?

Thanks,
    Darren
    Sold out only means there are no rooms available to the average Joe. WDW always has some extra rooms available for VIPs and/or travel agents. There are always people who cancel or cancel at the last minute. My advice to you is to keep calling back to see if anything opens up. Of course, it will be much easier to get a Luxury room than a Value room at busy times.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    I know there is a big cheerleading cometition the first weekend in February too every year. Its my bithday weekend and so when we usually go to celebrate its always packed with big groups of cheerleaders and that fills up a lot of hotel rooms. As for the rest of the month I know Disney has had its hotels booked up a lot this year and its been pretty unusual...I have been going to Disney since i was a little kid and getting rooms has never been this hard. I dont know if there is something weird going on with rooms being closed because of staffing like someone said or if Disney is just really having that great of a year!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Disney did say that they have more rooms booked than normal this year. I heard that in a radio interview with one of the MK managers during the press conference, so it could just be that also. Everyone wants free prizes!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Well, I managed to get rooms for Feb 16th ...odd
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I just called to get a room for tommorow night (1/27) very last minute admittdly but I was feeling spontaneous....All of the value resorts were completely booked!! I couldn't believe it...Normally it seems like January is completely empty! We are still going down for the day on Sunday..just hope its not too crowded in the parks!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    aw man you all are scaring me...
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast