Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ask The Disney Experts Discuss Pop Century Question in the Ask The Experts forums; Haha, those are great questions. I was wondering that myself. I guess they will do all kinds of memorobilia from those eras. The 20's could be really cool and doing ...
    cfielder is offline A-Ticket holder
    Haha, those are great questions. I was wondering that myself. I guess they will do all kinds of memorobilia from those eras. The 20's could be really cool and doing the whole depression thing would be easy with all the presidental stuff. Also, they might have fashion ideas and kids toys from those eras. I think it would be so interesting but you are right, it wouldn't be like the sparkle of the 50s and up!!!!!!

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by dzneynut
    Is anybody else having trouble thinking of icons to represent the first 5 decades of Pop Century. I mean, pop culture really didn't start until the 1950s. What are they going to use for the 1910s, biplanes, and the 20s, flappers? And the 30s, a still, and the 40s, atom bombs??
    Any ideas?
    Many of us may not be familiar with the icons of that era just because we are too young...but they are there if you think about it a while...
    How about a Wright Fler for the 00's! A model T for the teens Mickey Mouse in the 1920's for sure! What about a street car from these first couple of decades many towns had them at that time that tore them out by the 1950's. Something to represet the coming of color films in the 30s' yes Snow Hite is obvious, but if the rights Disney had to use films from MGM films at the studios would cover this project too there are some good posibilities there as well , the 1940's did have all the war related stuff like Rosie the Riviter, but also the postwar lead in to the more modern ideas, that were greatly spread by the number of veterans who took advantage of the GI bill, the birth of the suburbs for instance.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com
    Many of us may not be familiar with the icons of that era just because we are too young...but they are there if you think about it a while...
    How about a Wright Fler for the 00's! A model T for the teens Mickey Mouse in the 1920's for sure! What about a street car from these first couple of decades many towns had them at that time that tore them out by the 1950's. Something to represet the coming of color films in the 30s' yes Snow Hite is obvious, but if the rights Disney had to use films from MGM films at the studios would cover this project too there are some good posibilities there as well , the 1940's did have all the war related stuff like Rosie the Riviter, but also the postwar lead in to the more modern ideas, that were greatly spread by the number of veterans who took advantage of the GI bill, the birth of the suburbs for instance.
    You are correct to say that Pop Culture started after the big one, WWII(1945), when the men and women who served our country came back home to make the US an even greater place to live.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what icons Disney comes up with.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    The plans for the entire complex were complete in early 2000. Some of the stuff is just sitting there in that empty field and rotting.

Disnatic is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I sent an e-mail inquiring about the "PC: Legendary Years" and this is what I got back:

Dear Curtis,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

We appreciate your interest in obtaining information about Disney's Pop
    Century Legendary Years
    Resort. Regrettably, this type of specific information is proprietary
    and cannot be released. We
    are sorry that we cannot be of more assistance, and we appreciate your
    understanding.
    DISNATIC

Four Parks, One World

AnnaBanana1025 is offline A-Ticket holder

Pop Century

Hi,

I'm new to the board, but stayed at Pop Century in November of 2004 and I saw the exact same thing the pictures depicted. Most of the literature on Pop Century featured mentioned the "legendary years" and while I stayed there I began to wonder where it was.

FYI the hotel rooms weren't built offsite. My husband used to work for the construction company that built them and was even friends with one of the Project Engineers/Managers on the project. The PM said that the construction company built all the buildings that neutral brown color. Basically the construction company did all the structural stuff used a neutral color and Disney added all the decor and stuff to go with the theme themselves.

I hope this info helps. I'm glad to contribute something.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com
    I have a couple pictures of the incomlete buildings from my trip last week but I looked on Disney pix and they look pretty much like the ones he already has up so here are his
    otts to 40's check in building:
    http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-40.htm

unopened buildings:

http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-45.htm

pop century gallery:
    http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop...ntury2004c.htm

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    when i was there and i had the day to myself i figured i would find out why. So after rideing around on the buses for a while i finally found a driver who knew about it. He said that it was going to be open by the holiodays os 2001. Due to 9/11 they stopped working on it, to help with the relief effort. They havent completed it yet because they stopped working so long and got backed up. He said after the Happiest Celebration on Earth the boys over at WDI will get on it.
    (besides it would probably have a BIG fab 5 influence)
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    Ya know...the buildings being the brown color that they are and being so epmty,they just don't look like they belong on Disney property. On a lighter note, i would LOVE to stay in the 20's buildings, or the 40's.
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

dwellspompano is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Latest news/rumors I have heard is that the Phase II of Pop century will be totaly the new "Family Suite" design that they have started at the All Star Resorts.

nickv1025 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Sorry to open this old thread back up, but can anybody tell me if there why there are outlines of buildings on the LY site? If you look at an aerial photo, the parking lots are built (some have spaces painted too) and there are outlines of more T-shaped buildings.

Did they just pour cement for the base and parking lots way before construction?

Thanks.

Those foundations have been there for many years. They are the bases of the building, whenever they get around to building them.

nickv1025 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thank you for responding so quickly!

So, when exactly did FIRST construction begin, and it was of the CY section, right?

I was at PC back in '05, and had noticed the brown buildings, but at the time I did not know that they had halted construction.

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    This is so odd! I was there last year and saw the buildings but had no idea they had been there for so long. It seems odd for Disney to seemingly abandon a project.

KUNGALOOSH!!!

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    last i heard
    the pools were going to be a street sign
    a soda bottle and i forget the other
    i think allearsnet.com had the information!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

The buildings were approved around 2000-2001. Disney actually advertised the places with the actual drawings of both sides. They all looked pretty cool. So far we have only seen a few come to life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast